Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Wondering the
Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/22/2013 4:10PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know Jama Aden is coaching Kaki, Driouch, Al-Garni, Makhloufi, Ismail, and Souleiman. All of these guys have had considerable success in the past few years. I am just wondering if anyone had any info on his training methods. Both for 1500 and for 800. Don't bother posting if your going to tell me about injections or about doping or whatever. Thanks.
wejo
co-founder
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/22/2013 4:36PM - in reply to Wondering the Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just found out today that he is also coaching Genzebe Dibaba:

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2013/02/rupp-0222/

Aden's started coaching with John Cook at George Mason and has strong ties to the US ie he trained some with Joe Falcon.

Don't know much about the philosophy but he's got a facebook page. I think an LRC visitor did a huge interview with him last year in Sweden. I 'll see if I can find it.
Cookiekrisp
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/22/2013 5:11PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
JRinaldi
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/22/2013 6:08PM - in reply to Cookiekrisp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
tartan
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/22/2013 6:45PM - in reply to Wondering the Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wondering the
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/22/2013 11:43PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks!
Coach b money
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/23/2013 5:52AM - in reply to JRinaldi Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

JRinaldi wrote:

http://www.britishmilersclub.com/bmcnews/2009spring.pdf

Page 4

That's great stuff.

Thanks!
Johan Wallerstein
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/23/2013 4:42PM - in reply to Wondering the Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I followed Jama and his group last summer and in the end of their stay I made this interview. It is pretty long, but I know letsrunners are not only fast runners but also fast readers.

Johan

http://jwallerstein.blogspot.se/2012/11/world-class-middle-distance-coach-jama.html
TRI Coach
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/24/2013 12:20AM - in reply to Johan Wallerstein Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Fantastic article! thanks Johan
MrGambinus
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/24/2013 2:54AM - in reply to Johan Wallerstein Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just an additional question for those who have the insight. What does 'lots of easy running' in Base Period (Phase 1&2 refering to be BMC article) mean in particular for those MD beasts? 540mile/330km pace or faster like the Moroccans love to do or REAL slow distance at 6mile + pace and some aerobic intervals?

Thanks!
TRI Coach
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/24/2013 3:14AM - in reply to MrGambinus Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As someone who trained with Jama I would imagine starting out at 6:30 pace and bringing it down to 5:10's which was very common when training with him and Abdi back in 86/87. Progression runs is what we would call it now back then it was just Cook saying go out in 30 come back in 25.
sululta
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/24/2013 6:04AM - in reply to Wondering the Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm training around Jama's group right now...not with them. I haven't seen any of there workouts yet, but just know that they run very slow on easy runs...about 8min/mile. That's for the whole group, 400m-1/2marathon.
Sounds like they do 3 workout most weeks, one of them being a hill session.
sululta
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/24/2013 6:14AM - in reply to sululta Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I talk to Jama and Abdi every other day. Let me know if you have a specific question, I'll try to ask them...no promise.
Wondering the
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/24/2013 1:51PM - in reply to sululta Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

sululta wrote:

I'm training around Jama's group right now...not with them. I haven't seen any of there workouts yet, but just know that they run very slow on easy runs...about 8min/mile. That's for the whole group, 400m-1/2marathon.
Sounds like they do 3 workout most weeks, one of them being a hill session.

Do they train that slowly on recovery days year round or just during the pre-competition phase?
sudanese athlete
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/24/2013 2:44PM - in reply to Wondering the Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
jama is one of the best middle and long distance coaches in the world
sudanese athlete
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/24/2013 2:48PM - in reply to sudanese athlete Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
if anyone is interesting to be part of jama's group pls let know me, i have the connections to hook you all up
Old FDU Guy
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/24/2013 9:10PM - in reply to wejo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

wejo wrote:

... has strong ties to the US ie he trained some with Joe Falcon.

Jama also competed for Fairleigh Dickinson University in the early '80s
bad as naomi russell
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/26/2013 10:13AM - in reply to sululta Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i just read the Kitcher article and had a couple questions about the weight/strength training work they do. he says they don't have 'proper weights' in the gym, so i doubt they are doing traditional squats, deadlifts, hang cleans, etc. so what kind of weight work do they do? i can imagine with the 'concrete blocks' he describes they could do a lot of single-leg stuff (single-leg squats, single-leg deadlifts, single-leg step ups on to a box, etc). also, do they do weights/strength training as part of a circuit routine, or do it in a more traditional lifting manner (example - 3 sets of 6 reps of a particular exercise, then move to the next one).

also, what is Aden's take on plyometrics? do his guys do any, and if so, what is the routine like? if not, why? (perhaps fear of injury)

thanks in advance if you can provide any info.

sululta wrote:

I talk to Jama and Abdi every other day. Let me know if you have a specific question, I'll try to ask them...no promise.
ScandicRunner
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/26/2013 12:52PM - in reply to bad as naomi russell Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had the pleasure to train with the group this past winter.

What the group is doing is that they're doing the same things year round, but they regulate the workouts depending on the phase.

In base training they do a workout every other day (long run counts as a workout). Workouts could be 15x300m, 4x(400+200), 15x200m hill repeats, 90 min run fast pace, 3x10min fartlek.

If a workout is fast, sprinting sessions, they do them in the afternoon. These days they have an easy morning run, 5.5 k in 30 min.

If it's a long and a bit slower workout they do them in the morning and take the afternoon off.

On easy days, which is every other day, they do a 1 hour run where they get in about 12 km. In the afternoon these days they do a long gym session, where they do low weight and a lot of reps. Sometimes, if they feel like it, they warm up with a easy 20 min run before gym sessions. And after each gym session, they do some sprinting, like 5x50m.
Galactus
RE: Jama Aden Coaching Philosophy 2/26/2013 1:51PM - in reply to ScandicRunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ScandicRunner wrote:

I had the pleasure to train with the group this past winter.

What the group is doing is that they're doing the same things year round, but they regulate the workouts depending on the phase.

In base training they do a workout every other day (long run counts as a workout). Workouts could be 15x300m, 4x(400+200), 15x200m hill repeats, 90 min run fast pace, 3x10min fartlek.

If a workout is fast, sprinting sessions, they do them in the afternoon. These days they have an easy morning run, 5.5 k in 30 min.

If it's a long and a bit slower workout they do them in the morning and take the afternoon off.

On easy days, which is every other day, they do a 1 hour run where they get in about 12 km. In the afternoon these days they do a long gym session, where they do low weight and a lot of reps. Sometimes, if they feel like it, they warm up with a easy 20 min run before gym sessions. And after each gym session, they do some sprinting, like 5x50m.

they run an easy 5.5k run in 30 minutes? no
Pages: | 1 | 2 |