Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
hal sigdon
josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 6:57PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
apparently a lot of ultra folks are bitter about josh coxs 50k record. i was talking to some today and they told me that cox never ran an official 50k. he apparently ran a marathon and then they mapped out the additional distance so they could say he has the record for the 50k. anyone hear this gripe before.
Dingbot
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 7:10PM - in reply to hal sigdon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Those people will never be able to understand the depth of Josh Cox.
wearing a large faced watch
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 7:18PM - in reply to hal sigdon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Who is Josh Cox and why should I know about course extentions?
Thanks
Mammoth TC
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 7:27PM - in reply to wearing a large faced watch Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Josh is a self promoter that has never achieved a thing in the elite circles of the sport. He thinks he is well connected but is laughed at by almost everyone. The 50k was 8k added on a Rock N Roll event. He was the only finisher.
ultrafolks
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 7:28PM - in reply to hal sigdon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are there enough ultra folks to refer to "a lot" of them?
willingness to fail
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 7:33PM - in reply to Mammoth TC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Mammoth TC wrote:

The 50k was 8k added on a Rock N Roll event. He was the only finisher.

Did he run the official distance on a measured course or not? If so, I don't see the problem. Someone else needs to go out and beat his time and there will be no more controversy.
mallaroy
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 7:45PM - in reply to willingness to fail Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
if he wants the 50k record...why not go out and enter a 50k race? why does rock n roll cater to this guy?
crazy raisin
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 7:53PM - in reply to willingness to fail Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

willingness to fail wrote:

Mammoth TC wrote:

The 50k was 8k added on a Rock N Roll event. He was the only finisher.

Did he run the official distance on a measured course or not? If so, I don't see the problem. Someone else needs to go out and beat his time and there will be no more controversy.
Yes. He ran through the marathon finish line, to a track, and a bunch of laps around a track.

I can see why it's much easier to set the record this way as you get the pacing and crowd support of a marathon (and then much more crowd support on the track as lots of people went to watch) but that's not an unfair advantage so it shouldn't be controversial.
coachTi
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 7:54PM - in reply to mallaroy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The Rock n Roll Arizona Marathon allowed him to win their marathon and then continue for a 30k. I disagree with this. How can they award him the marathon win, pay him money, and then say that he completed another race and get a record. That sounds like double dipping to me. I do not disagree that this guy can have the 50k record - but it should have been in a actual 50k race. The article is below.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2011-01-16-3221686878_x.htm
medium_pace
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 7:59PM - in reply to crazy raisin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"secret" races are not credible.

If nobody else was allowed entry into the 50K where he set the record, that is just flat out absurd.

As others have stated, if you want to get a record, you should be competing in an official event where other athletes are allowed to compete against you.
coachTi
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 8:01PM - in reply to medium_pace Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I agree. It is not fair for him to finish a marathon and then continue on. The race was 26.2 and he crossed the line as the winner. That is the end! If he wants to 50k record - then he needs to enter a 50k and start and finish with an official field. shame on the USATF for allowing this record to stand.
blackbeltmarathoner
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 8:02PM - in reply to hal sigdon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
its still the 50k fu**in distance!? lets see someone else do it if its so much easier to do 5:22 a mile 31 times
Romulus
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 8:10PM - in reply to Mammoth TC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Mammoth TC wrote:

Josh is a self promoter that has never achieved a thing in the elite circles of the sport. He thinks he is well connected but is laughed at by almost everyone. The 50k was 8k added on a Rock N Roll event. He was the only finisher.
never achieved anything, except oh... making the Olympics
coachTi
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 8:11PM - in reply to blackbeltmarathoner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
no one said it was easy to run a 5:32 mile 31 miles. we are questioning the idea of letting the marathon winter of a marathon race..keep running to get records.

is it fair to let a 10k winner of a race...continue on and shoot for the 12k record. or how about.....the winner of a 5k shoot for the 6k record. usatf needs to put their foot down and say that it needs to happen during an official sanctioned usatf event. if rock and roll wants to have a 50k..that is fine. but the 50k participants should not be eligible for a marathon award. can you win the 5k race if you sign up for a 10k in a simultaneous 5k/10k road race. no!
suburbanxcore
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 8:12PM - in reply to Romulus Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Romulus wrote:

Mammoth TC wrote:

never achieved anything, except oh... making the Olympics

Wait, what?
yutiu
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 8:13PM - in reply to Mammoth TC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Mammoth TC wrote:

Why do so many use "self promoter" as an insult? I see a lot of guys getting dropped by their sponsors and not being able to support their running because they can't be bothered to promote themselves.
Mammoth TC
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 8:24PM - in reply to coachTi Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He did not win the marathon before continuing on, He was not even the first American across the finish line. He was just the only one to continue on.

and he was never close to being an Olympian
coachTi
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 8:27PM - in reply to Mammoth TC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
article to the article it said cox won the marathon and continued on. total bs
Kjujujnjj
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 8:30PM - in reply to coachTi Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

coachTi wrote:

is it fair to let a 10k winner of a race...continue on and shoot for the 12k record. or how about.....the winner of a 5k shoot for the 6k record.

That's completely fair. I don't understand what's wrong with that. Geb broke the 20k world record in the middle of a one-hour race. Fine with me.
TLW
RE: josh cox - 50k record contraversial 2/10/2013 8:40PM - in reply to Kjujujnjj Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This thread is everything that's wrong with letsrun.

Elite runners can barely get sponsored.

Cox self promotes, gets sponsored and subsequently starts a career as a announcer for marathons. Josh Cox is the best sponsored 2:13 marathon runner. OTHER RUNNERS SHOULD TAKE NOTE OF WHAT HE DID AND DO IT.

Josh Cox sets up a 50k at a marathon, wins the marathon and then goes to break the American record. This brings the event extra publicity which the staff loves.

Seriously, this thread sucks, the people on this thread suck and have an axe to grind.

Josh Cox is the poster boy for making a GOOD living as an elite runner and not scrapping by begging for a sponsor.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |