Need Redemption at last
Transitioning from a bad indoor season to an amazing outdoor season 2/10/2013 3:19PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This year has been a huge disappointment in my running so far. As a freshmen, with 15-20 mpw over the summer and running competitively since a kid, I ran: 19:15 5k, 2:23 800m, 5:19 mile, 68 400m. This year, with 28-35 mpw a week over the summer and strides after most of them: 18:40 and 11:15 2mile(could've gone faster) in cross, then got sick for a month and started indoor about a month ago. First week back I ran a 2:27, and 2:23 800 then trained more for 2 weeks or so. After the training I did a 5:16 mile that saturday, then a 5:07 mile pr in 35 degrees for a race on an outdoor track thurs. 3 days after I had my last race indoor where I shit the bed beyond belief and ran a 5:14, losing to a kid I beat all freshman year by 16 seconds... So my question is what should I do to be great by outdoor. I'm a soph and am more suited to long distances, and can handle higher mileage. I can't handle what our team does that well, which is a workout monday, workout/race wed, and serious saturday meet, making it hard to get in a long run during the week. Should I take off time between seasons even though I have only been running for a little over a month? When I'm taking off time should I do core/strength training? I have about 3 weeks until we start practice for outdoor to whip myself into shape. During the season I usually don't do a long run sundays since I am weak from the meet saturday, should I change this? Right now, I feel almost burn't out even though our team does only 25-30 mpw (almost all on concrete). Outdoor my goals are 2:13 800m, 4:50 mile, and sub 10:20 2 mile. They sound ambitios but I really think with the speed I got from striders over the summer I may be able to do them. How can I alter my idiotic coach's schedule to help me run a lot faster? My endurance has been shot ever since I got that month sickness.
ambitios
RE: Transitioning from a bad indoor season to an amazing outdoor season 2/10/2013 3:34PM - in reply to Need Redemption at last Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i hear a lot of excuses and whining, you should start by taking responsibility for your performances.

what is wrong with running long on sunday?

why would you take time off if you have only been running for a month?

do you know what is going to happen in 3 weeks of training? nothing.

you need to set your goals according to where you are and not get wrapped up in delusional thinking. sub 10:20 isn't going to happen this year, you will not be running your 2x your mile p.r. in two months.

get your butt out the door and start putting in some miles.
Need Redemption at last
RE: Transitioning from a bad indoor season to an amazing outdoor season 2/10/2013 5:09PM - in reply to ambitios Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I guess im afraid of "burning out" and peaking very early in the season, maybe because our coaches are idiots and told me that. They say that running 7 days a week in the summer will lead to huge over training and since my times have sucked they don't take me seriously. What I need is ways to adapt their workouts/runs to help me more. Should I treat the less important meets as workouts, trying to negative split?
PDong
RE: Transitioning from a bad indoor season to an amazing outdoor season 2/11/2013 8:47AM - in reply to Need Redemption at last Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I wouldn't agree that you're not taking responsibility for your training, but lets get a few things straight:

There will be no "whipping yourself into shape" for something 3 weeks away. Doesn't work like that.

7 days a week during the summer, for someone your age, training age, and training history is excessive. It will burn you out, but maybe not the way you think it will.

Get over the concrete thing. Rotate your shoes well and it's a non-issue. I trained most of my career on concrete and had no issues getting better.

Relax. Seriously. Relax. Enjoy the process a bit. Enjoy being around your teammates. Try to enjoy the wisdom from your coaches. It will be okay.

Something longer on Sunday is fine. If you're going slowly, it'll be a different energy system. Will you feel like crap for part of it? Yeah, you just raced the day before. At the very least, you have to get out on Sunday for a bit to have a better workout on Monday.

Is it the best schedule? No. But most high school kids can handle 3 hard days a week. Your outdoor goals are not so ambitious that they can't happen.

My recommendation is to run as easy as you can on every day that isn't a workout or a race. Use your mental energy only on workout days and meet days, and try to take as much pressure off yourself as you can. You're only a sophomore, it'll get better.
Backflips all day
RE: Transitioning from a bad indoor season to an amazing outdoor season 2/11/2013 10:36AM - in reply to PDong Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I don't know. I was gonna give you a response but I kinda feel like your coach does; you suck.

If you really wanna get better you can though. Get through this year. Do what the coach tells you to do. You're getting good advice here. Go easy every run but work outs and practices and start doing easy long runs. But keep in mind that the long run should be around 20-30% of weekly image so you should be aiming for a 8-10 mile long run right now. Which should be good. every other day go easy, and don't be afraid to mix it up with cross training. I used to take the whole winter off and did cross country skiing I didn't run as long as we had enough snow to ski and came back refreshed and stronger for outdoor track season. Try wrestling or something next winter maybe indoor season sucks.
^$n9iua-wf9-4w5
RE: Transitioning from a bad indoor season to an amazing outdoor season 2/11/2013 2:39PM - in reply to Need Redemption at last Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"3 days after I had my last race indoor where I shit the bed beyond belief and ran a 5:14, losing to a kid I beat all freshman year by 16 seconds..."

This sentence is wrong in so many ways. You can't do anything about the other guy. He didn't get sick for a month.

Your 5:14 was not a bad race in any way. You have no endurance yet still took 12 seconds off you PR this winter. You just couldn't race well as many times as you wanted to because you were sick.

Keep plugging away at 28-35 mpw with strides. That's enough for now, you can do more this summer. Go to bed early. You will certainly take another 12 seconds off your mile PR this spring.

There is nothing wrong with workouts M/W/F you just can't run yourself into the ground each time. Does your coach make you double? If not a single mile or 800m race really isn't that bad. If the coach says 400s between 70 and 72 seconds make sure you run half at 73 seconds and the other half at 72 seconds....
Good luck
Need Redemption at last
RE: Transitioning from a bad indoor season to an amazing outdoor season 2/11/2013 4:21PM - in reply to ^$n9iua-wf9-4w5 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Alright I'm just going to give you an average day in indoor track schedule to clear things up:

Mon workout- usually something short and sweet that is done with almost no recovery on 160m indoor track; 320m, 320m, 160m , 160m with 45 sec recovery on 32's and 30sec for the 16's. 1:30 recovery then repeat for a 2nd set

Tues- either 4-5 ridiculously slow 8:45pace with slow group or 6-8 mile run, starting out slowly 8:15 speeding up and doing the last 3 miles in around 7:20, 7:10 6:50. I went in slow group early on indoor but it became simply too slow so i went with fast guys later on.

Wed- Race/longer workout

Thurs- same as tues

Friday- 20 min jog, 20-50 min yoga

Sat- race

Sun- whatever you want

Should I go in the slower group tues/thurs if the 6-8 milers leave me out of breath kind-of badly (not tempo but hard effort)? Cross we did basically the same thing except larger volume of workouts and coach expected us to go out all races. Should I treat some races as workouts?
santa's creed
RE: Transitioning from a bad indoor season to an amazing outdoor season 2/12/2013 3:53PM - in reply to Need Redemption at last Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Try to get some kids to start a third group of runners on tues/thurs so you can get better training. At least do this at the beginning of outdoor until you get back into decent shape