Pages: | 1 | 2 |
snowed in
running in Boston post-Nemo 2/9/2013 10:58PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
just wondering what others are doing in the greater boston area after Nemo hit
are the roads in good condition to run? my small side street was not plowed until ~5 today. I haven't run since Thursday because I've been feeling under the weather and the roads were simply not run-able.
any recommendations for someone trying to get in a solid run anytime soon amidst the many feet high snow banks and likely poorly shoveled sidewalks
BAA
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 1:36AM - in reply to snowed in Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Commonwealth avenue on the marathon route was well plowed today... but overall running here is going to suck for a few weeks.
Apigsheaven
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 1:53AM - in reply to snowed in Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Indoor tracks. Try Reggie Lewis although they may be closed on Sunday. For some smaller tracks try the local YMCAs. You may be able to get a day pass for around $10.
jimfixx
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 7:30AM - in reply to snowed in Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Go shovel the sidewalk around your block and do a bunch of laps. Will make for some good cross training, and your neighbors will love you.
themack
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 7:34AM - in reply to jimfixx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
im about an hour west of boston and am screwed. our town's roads are terrible and down to 1.5 ish lanes at best. today will likely be a double treadmill day-hopefully the week doesnt turn out like that as well.
snowy owl
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 7:40AM - in reply to themack Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just go out and run, will help you develop some balls. Also a great way to work on balance and front side mechanics.
Bostonrun
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 7:42AM - in reply to snowed in Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The Common is pretty much fine and one lap is about a mile. There is also a well plowed 3/4 mile loop around Harvard athletic buildings.
JPrunner
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 8:18AM - in reply to snowed in Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Also, the southwest corridor is plowed. It is good footing from Mass Ave. to Forest Hills without fighting cars for space - just the occasional cyclist. I really appreciate all of the advocates who have preserved this small band of green space over the years. It could have easily turned into a highway.
RGB
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 9:28AM - in reply to snowed in Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Olmstead Park had a nice surface of packed snow this morning and I had a good run there. I used microspikes, but it was packed down enough that I don't think you would need to if you don't have them. Brookline Reservoir is also usually pretty good. There is a defunct website I'm trying to revive: www.avoiding treadmills.com - no one has used it for a couple of years but the point is to post reviews about various Boston-area running routes so runners can communicate with other runners about safe winter running conditions. You can check that out too, and also pass along the information to anyone you know who runs as the more people using it, the better. Good luck!
Pizzaguy
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 9:37AM - in reply to RGB Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
All are welcome to come to my neighborhood on the south shore and run my 800m loop. Plowed with low traffic, come inside after for free hot coco and rub down (ladies) ;-)
ClownfishNamedMarlinHmm
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 10:03AM - in reply to Pizzaguy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Anyone in the Wakefield, Stoneham, Melrose area know where to run?
Derderian
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 10:13AM - in reply to ClownfishNamedMarlinHmm Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Low tide beach runs. Only sand and dead lobsters and crabs.
Tom
John O'Donnell
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 10:42AM - in reply to BAA Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This thread takes me back to my good old days running in Buffalo as a kid. Thanks for the snowy memories
Animal eater
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 11:39AM - in reply to snowed in Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't be a fuc*ing pus*y. Erie PA gets over a hundred inches of snow a year and we still manage to run through it. You make me sick lol
ClownfishNamedMarlinHmm
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 12:12PM - in reply to Derderian Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Good idea Tom. Hope things weren't too bad in your town and there is still a beach to run on.
metro west
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 12:34PM - in reply to ClownfishNamedMarlinHmm Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ran this morning, but it was only possible because it was a Sunday. Roads in my neighborhood are about 1.5 cars wide, and the sidewalks have 3-4 feet of snow. Once there are cars on the roads again (any day of the week except Sunday), it's going to be a challenge for a while. I'm going to check out 135 (part of the marathon course) later today to see if the sidewalks are clear over there. Usually the sidewalks around here get plowed, but obviously there were bigger things to deal with first.
SJ Sturdly
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 12:41PM - in reply to ClownfishNamedMarlinHmm Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Park at zoo and run back and forth on west side of Spot.
chewbacca
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 1:12PM - in reply to ClownfishNamedMarlinHmm Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

ClownfishNamedMarlinHmm wrote:
Anyone in the Wakefield, Stoneham, Melrose area know where to run?

The Fells
rollin_oats
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 1:48PM - in reply to chewbacca Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Back in 2010 when DC got a couple feet of snow, once the roads were cleared a lot of them had about 1.5 lanes cleared. Running in that extra half lane was actually really easy. Got a lot harder once the roads got wide enough for people to try to drive side by side. But for now I'd recommend the roads.
ClownfishNamedMarlinHmm
RE: running in Boston post-Nemo 2/10/2013 1:52PM - in reply to SJ Sturdly Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just finished my run. The roads in Wakefield are narrowed by the snow banks and I ran in 3in of slush and water most of the way. I managed to find a few quiet streets where I could run down the middle of the road. I tried to hit up some trails, but it was to hard to run in 2ft deep snow and the footing was uneven so I scrapped that after about 1/2mi. A tougher person with more flexible ankles might be able to handle it.

For anyone who is interested, LakeQ is not easy to run around right now. Hopefully they'll clear the sidewalks in a few days.

I'm interested in the condition of the minuteman path and the charles river so feel free to post updates here.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |