Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Washed Upp
I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 8:33PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I recently moved across town and started doing workouts at Miami Killian Senior High School's outdoor track. After months of unstructured training, today was my first workout. I did 5x1200m and was stoked to be hitting well under my target pace. It was coming so easily to me, almost as though I hadn't been injured all of last year and barely running. My wife said "You'd better measure the track in Google Earth - it's probably short" and I said "It's a major high school's all weather outdoor track. How could it be short? Fine I'll measure it." Turns out she was right - lane 1 is 378 meters. I figured out that to make it 400m, you have to run in the OUTSIDE of lane 4. Has anyone ever experienced anything this insane in your entire lives? Please check my work if you have a second and measure the track. Am I losing it? The address is 10655 Sw 97th Ave, Miami, FL. Thanks
jsj
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 8:51PM - in reply to Washed Upp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think services like Google earth have significant margins of error. So maybe you are actually in good shape. Only way to be sure is to measure the track by hand or with a wheel.
Whole foods
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 8:54PM - in reply to Washed Upp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is how Chinese world records happen.
lease
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 8:54PM - in reply to Washed Upp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Washed Upp wrote:
I figured out that to make it 400m, you have to run in the OUTSIDE of lane 4. Has anyone ever experienced anything this insane in your entire lives?

You mean other than the track at the University of Pennsylvania?

Anyway, if Killian's track is truly short (seems really unlikely, but who knows), now you know--and you can enjoy doing workouts on the gentler curves in lanes 4/5.
Wife is a Keeper
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 8:56PM - in reply to Washed Upp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I love that your wife is keeping it real here..."yeah, you aren't that fast -- better measure the track."

anyway, good that you figured it out. don't worry though, the workouts have still helped you get into better shape.
asldkfj
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 9:01PM - in reply to jsj Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

jsj wrote:

I think services like Google earth have significant margins of error. So maybe you are actually in good shape. Only way to be sure is to measure the track by hand or with a wheel.

There is no doubt some margins of error when dealing with clunky measuring tools such as a GPS coordinates, but I've measured several other tracks just for kicks and it's pretty damn accurate. 399-401 meters usually does the trick for most tracks.

I measured the Miami track and came up with 378 meters. That track looks a bit screwed up regardless.
The Waterboy
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 9:10PM - in reply to asldkfj Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just go to the track and see where the start lines are for certain race distances (i.e. 400m, 800m, 100m etc)
Build it
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 9:25PM - in reply to Washed Upp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Whoever built that track completley screwed up on lanes one and two
missing three
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 9:29PM - in reply to Build it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Is there a curb? Maybe when one is installed it'll go in lane four and the track will resemble Franklin Field.
ignorant turd
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 9:34PM - in reply to Build it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Whoever built that track completely fvcked up the whole track. WTF is up with the south end curve?
jsj
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 9:41PM - in reply to The Waterboy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

The Waterboy wrote:

Just go to the track and see where the start lines are for certain race distances (i.e. 400m, 800m, 100m etc)

Yeah, check this out. Maybe they made up for it by putting the starting lines really far back.
Spirit of an Alaskan Salmon
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 9:43PM - in reply to ignorant turd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, just look at the track on google maps. The bottom right hand corner is all messed up.
Admin
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 9:47PM - in reply to Washed Upp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Holy crap how could anyone screw up that hard. That track sucks I feel sorry for the school's runners.
dislike 4 x 4 laps each relay
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/9/2013 10:03PM - in reply to Washed Upp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Used the USAT&F map a route feature. I used the inside of lane two and made quite a few straight line arcs on the turns so e know this aint rocket science correct but lane two shows up as 380m +/- . even with errors lane two shoun be longer than 400 for a lap. While doing the arcs I realized the curves are made with numerious radii and are not symmetrical at all.

Suggest you call the HS and ask.
Ifeelyourpain
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/10/2013 12:10AM - in reply to dislike 4 x 4 laps each relay Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes Coronado High School's track a few years back I was training for the USATF XC Championships I was not in very good shape so after 3 weeks of training before and 1 week before the race I decided to see where I was at with a 5K time trial I comfotably jogged seriously jogged a 14:48 and was stocked so the race came 2008 USATF's and needless to say I thought top 30 was going to be a breeze well a 100 places later I finished. I told my coach it doesnt make any sense I did a 5K in 14:48 and it was really easy the moment I said I had been training at Coronado HS he brought me back to earth by saying ah thats the problem you have been training on a 350m track.

So yes I have been there...
SlowFatMaster
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/10/2013 12:10AM - in reply to Washed Upp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe that's the "local high school track" that Larry Rawson used to always suggest that we go down to.
LR was a Diogenes discovery
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/10/2013 12:20AM - in reply to SlowFatMaster Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

SlowFatMaster wrote:

Maybe that's the "local high school track" that Larry Rawson used to always suggest that we go down to.

Larry is a lawyer he would never advise anyone to use an illegal track.
Joe Money
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/10/2013 1:40AM - in reply to Washed Upp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had the same experience but rather on a 400 yard track. Who the hell creates a 400 yard track?
joecrunner
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/10/2013 2:39AM - in reply to Joe Money Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
People who want to create the opportunity for a 4:30 miler to break 4.
sfgsf
RE: I just found out the local high school outdoor track is 378 meters...WTF? 2/10/2013 3:18AM - in reply to Spirit of an Alaskan Salmon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Spirit of an Alaskan Salmon wrote:

Yeah, just look at the track on google maps. The bottom right hand corner is all messed up.

The whole south turn just looks like they screwed up. Also there's plenty of land to the south to add11 meters to the straights
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |