Pages: | 1 | 2 |
elle woods missing the point
RE: Lukas Verbicas wins Running Ringling Bridge Run 4 miler on 1/19/2013 in 21:02 1/20/2013 7:28AM - in reply to Pediatric gynecologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Elle Woods - I don't think an abstract argument over where this kid was near death is relevant. I saw some video clips of the kid in the hospital. He was seriously injured to the point where walking normally was not a fait accompli. He was also physically weakened to the point where recovery was uncertain.

In fact, I think his race this weekend validates my point. It is a nice performance for a hobby runner or athlete, but that is not what he wants to be. I am not sure he will ever "come back" - meaning just the level of fitness and performance he had in high school. And he will need that and considerably more to be competitive in triathlons. This is not a knock on the kid - more of a reflection on just how uncertain his comeback may be.

I think he deserves credit for getting back to active life so soon. Lots of it. But the odds are that just being able to enjoy active life centered around fitness may just be the appropriate and realistic goal for him. Yes, I understand he ought to be optimistic at his young age, but in the end, he should be thankful he is able to be on his own two feet and be active.
Trollist
RE: Lukas Verbicas wins Running Ringling Bridge Run 4 miler on 1/19/2013 in 21:02 1/20/2013 7:40AM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

LetsRun.com wrote:
The Real Lance.

I've never wanted an athlete to test positive until just now.
Querfeldein
RE: Lukas Verbicas wins Running Ringling Bridge Run 4 miler on 1/19/2013 in 21:02 1/20/2013 1:17PM - in reply to Trollist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think "near death" is an appropriate term. He may not have had life-threating injuries, but his bicycle accident could have very well been fatal.

Calling him "The Real Lance" is ridiculous. What does that even mean? Will he be able to achieve superhuman feats like Lance Armstrong did, but without drugs accusations? I hope not. If you want a ridiculous nickname, call him "the third Brownlee brother", or something.
agip
RE: Lukas Verbicas wins Running Ringling Bridge Run 4 miler on 1/19/2013 in 21:02 1/20/2013 1:22PM - in reply to Querfeldein Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think 'the real lance' is fair for LV - world jr champion, nearly dies, comes back without PEDS and...we'll see

I do know that I would now watch a triathlon were LV in it and competitive - I wouldn't otherwise. Similar to the lance effect on the TDF.
nolo contendere
RE: Lukas Verbicas wins Running Ringling Bridge Run 4 miler on 1/19/2013 in 21:02 1/20/2013 9:27PM - in reply to agip Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

agip wrote:

I think 'the real lance' is fair for LV - world jr champion, nearly dies, comes back without PEDS and...we'll see

I do know that I would now watch a triathlon were LV in it and competitive - I wouldn't otherwise. Similar to the lance effect on the TDF.

We know that he is not on PEDS to the same degree we knew Lance was not in 1998. That is, we haven't a clue. Furthermore, he's hardly alone in coming back from serious accidents (c.f., Eddy Merck, Greg Lemond, Laurent Jalabert, etc., etc., etc.). I mean, it's great he did and is back to being fast, but for goodness sake he still hasn't done anything noteworthy in any sport as a pro. So let's not crown him until he's won multiple pro WCs and stayed drug free. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But let's find out before going one way or another.
Wnt2run
RE: Lukas Verbicas wins Running Ringling Bridge Run 4 miler on 1/19/2013 in 21:02 1/20/2013 10:32PM - in reply to Pediatric gynecologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's not about the number of people that signed up. It's about his time and improvement after the accident.
Congrats to Lukas for working hard, but I will say "he is not the real Lance"
Lance cheated and lied but at the end of the day he has done so much for the foundation.
A Duck
RE: Lukas Verbicas is Running Ringling Bridge Run 10k on Saturday (1/19/2013) 1/21/2013 3:20AM - in reply to szdxrcfg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not to mention that it is a low witted, stupid idea, and that LV and family might find it insensitive.

The Blowjo's with each month more clearly define themselves as a couple of low intelligence, low class individuals.
Greg Chrisman
RE: Lukas Verbicas wins Running Ringling Bridge Run 4 miler on 1/19/2013 in 21:02 1/21/2013 8:29AM - in reply to Pediatric gynecologist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This race is the most popular race in sarasota - it is mostly scenic and the 4 miles is manageable for most anyone. The course is not "fast" as it goes up a down a large bridge twice. It doesnt attract strong regional competition. It's just a very large local road race. There is team competition which is very low key.
Elle Woods
RE: Lukas Verbicas wins Running Ringling Bridge Run 4 miler on 1/19/2013 in 21:02 1/21/2013 9:52AM - in reply to elle woods missing the point Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

elle woods missing the point wrote:

Elle Woods - I don't think an abstract argument over where this kid was near death is relevant. I saw some video clips of the kid in the hospital. He was seriously injured to the point where walking normally was not a fait accompli. He was also physically weakened to the point where recovery was uncertain.

In fact, I think his race this weekend validates my point. It is a nice performance for a hobby runner or athlete, but that is not what he wants to be. I am not sure he will ever "come back" - meaning just the level of fitness and performance he had in high school. And he will need that and considerably more to be competitive in triathlons. This is not a knock on the kid - more of a reflection on just how uncertain his comeback may be.

I think he deserves credit for getting back to active life so soon. Lots of it. But the odds are that just being able to enjoy active life centered around fitness may just be the appropriate and realistic goal for him. Yes, I understand he ought to be optimistic at his young age, but in the end, he should be thankful he is able to be on his own two feet and be active.

Elle Woods is not missing the point. If people want to say LV was in a serious wreck that may alter his athletic career, I'd say true. But if people want to say he's the "real lance" because he's coming back from a near death experience, I'd say not true. And by "near death" I'm not saying an inch or two either way and he could be dead. I'm talking the results of the actual incident. Hell, we're all "near death" every day when we're running in the roads.
fhb
RE: Lukas Verbicas wins Running Ringling Bridge Run 4 miler on 1/19/2013 in 21:02 1/21/2013 10:15AM - in reply to Wnt2run Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Wnt2run wrote:

Congrats to Lukas for working hard, but I will say "he is not the real Lance"
Lance cheated and lied but at the end of the day he has done so much for the foundation.

Sure, and at the end of the day Hitler did so much for his Germans. That's not an excuse. And what exactly has the foundation done with all of that money?
crazy raisin
RE: Lukas Verbicas wins Running Ringling Bridge Run 4 miler on 1/19/2013 in 21:02 2/4/2013 12:28PM - in reply to fhb Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
LV strong!

sorry that's all I got
Pages: | 1 | 2 |