savethepandas
How Can I Embrace the Race, not Fear it? 1/18/2013 3:36PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hello all,

I find it easy to push my limits in training, but when I get to race time, I hold back. I don't know what it is, but I never go into a race thinking "Let's do this." I also have a very defensive attitude and do not feel confident. And I think this mental attitude causes me to suffer physically. It could be two laps into a 3k, and I feel like I am hurting, and my legs just do no feel fully there. At least in the very beginning of a race, I want to feel comfortable and ready to kick ass. But I don't. As soon as that gun goes off my legs sends me signals telling me to just stop. This never happens during hard workouts, but come race time, I freeze up like a god damn crocopotamus.

All advice is greatly appreciated.
areader
RE: How Can I Embrace the Race, not Fear it? 1/18/2013 4:19PM - in reply to savethepandas Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You might want to pick up a copy of Running Within (http://www.amazon.com/Running-Within-Mastering-Body-Mind-Spirit-Connection/dp/0880118326), the authors deal with this issue.
JustMyTwoBits
RE: How Can I Embrace the Race, not Fear it? 1/18/2013 4:24PM - in reply to savethepandas Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Race more. If you seldom race, each one seems so very important. If you race all the time, each individual race seems less and less important, and becomes part of the process. If you have a bad one, the next one is right around the corner to redeem yourself.
savethepandas
RE: How Can I Embrace the Race, not Fear it? 1/19/2013 7:10AM - in reply to savethepandas Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thank you,

I appreciate the input. I am going to get that book, it looks like it could help.
runn
RE: How Can I Embrace the Race, not Fear it? 1/19/2013 8:12AM - in reply to JustMyTwoBits Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

JustMyTwoBits wrote:

Race more. If you seldom race, each one seems so very important. If you race all the time, each individual race seems less and less important, and becomes part of the process. If you have a bad one, the next one is right around the corner to redeem yourself.

Great advice (as was the book) but I went through a period where I seldom raced and each race became so important I basically choked.
I raced more and I relaxed- I could make up for a bad day and ended up not having them.