Pages: | 1 | 2 |
A Realist
Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 11:35AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I wouldnt be surprised if I was the only one on this site who really isnt all that angry about athletes using PED's. It just doesnt bother me that much. Technology improves, times come down. It's not like we expect our athletes to compete on cinder tracks wearing leather spikes anymore. The technology to run faster times is out there, including so called performance enhancing drugs, and I just see it as an outcome of the world we live in. Doctors are finding ways to make people live longer. Why not let them find ways to make us run faster? The drugs and side effects will eventually reach a point that they are safe for consumption by all, if they are not yet already at that point. For all the speculation on these boards about rampant PED use you would expect to have seen at least one or two athletes die on the track or in the Pyrennes due to some catastrophic bodily failure due to EPO use.

Everyone railing on PED's seems to think taking PED's instantly makes you a better athlete. I could shoot up with EPO and get my blood spun and reinjected and without the doing hard work and training it would mean nothing. It still takes hard work to run 12:3x. I honestly think within a few generations PED's will not be viewed in such a harsh light as future generations will grow up in a culture where the negative stigma of PED's will abade. What does anyone else think?
Optional extras
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 11:41AM - in reply to A Realist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Would you be happy if one of your children wanted to start injecting Epo to be a better runner? The level playing field where everyone is doped ignores the fact that if you open it up it won't be long before young kids are shooting up to be better at their sport..
long past ridiculous
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 11:47AM - in reply to Optional extras Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I blew all the threads about lance and peds except 3 off the front page last night.

There are now 20 on the front page alone.
an elite who thinks otherwise
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 12:03PM - in reply to A Realist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

A Realist wrote:

I wouldnt be surprised if I was the only one on this site who really isnt all that angry about athletes using PED's. It just doesnt bother me that much.

That's because you're not an elite and never been directly impacted/screwed by it. /thread
duhh
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 12:19PM - in reply to A Realist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
technology available for the benefit of everyone is one thing. drugs which do long term damage to the body, which are known to be illegal, and are lied about and hidden from the public eye are another.

running 12:3x vs. 14:3x is similar to me in the eyes of a fan. we were all disgusted by how slow the oly 5K final was simply because we all know they are all capable of much faster and they are supposed to be the best in the world.

however, say we were watching a 5k in 1912 or so when a 14:3x was decent, the same race would be exhilarating. (for the record i have no idea what the world record was in 1912 and i dont care, the point is the level of competition at the time).

as technology improves with equipment and training techniques, times will evolve and drop. this does NOT include illegal drugs and lying.
Age group guy
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 12:27PM - in reply to duhh Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have stood on the podium in age group competition from honest work and perseverence. No money, no glory, just whatever personal satisfaction I can get from giving it my best. The thought that others sharing the podium and performance lists by cutting corners and cheating does not sit well with me. At all.

Ask any guys who lo$t out to Eddy H how they feel about it.
sldkajlasdj
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 12:32PM - in reply to duhh Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
as technology improves with equipment and training techniques, times will evolve and drop. this does NOT include illegal drugs and lying.[/quote]

We have the best of shoes and the best of training (Lydiard and Daniels) already so the rare improvement will come from the gifted athlete. You really can't improve on the shoes or the training. That's as it should be, some humans are gifted by God (or good genes) and they become our immortal heroes....Look-----no body was ever better than Babe Ruth, well maybe Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle, but this group is rare and should be honored forever....punks like Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa cheated. Punks like El G. High-sham el Gourage also cheated.... they couldn't beat John Walker or Kip Keino or Jim Ryun if they ran drug free....
. . .
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 12:37PM - in reply to an elite who thinks otherwise Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you are such a p*ssy. do drugs or choose another profession. try to keep up.
duhh
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 12:45PM - in reply to sldkajlasdj Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

sldkajlasdj wrote:

as technology improves with equipment and training techniques, times will evolve and drop. this does NOT include illegal drugs and lying.

We have the best of shoes and the best of training (Lydiard and Daniels) already so the rare improvement will come from the gifted athlete.

i agree about the gifted athletes, but not about technology. when bannister broke 4 they probably thought at the time, look how nice our cinder tracks are and how great these shoes are, we are so technologically advanced especially compared to the ancient olympics who competed naked.

now, with our mondo tracks and 5 ounce spikes we think how in the world did they run on those cinders? is it not possible that there will be an underwater/anti gravity treadmill in every HS someday allowing 15 year old kids who get cut from the basketball team to run 120 miles a week year round and run 8:40 two miles in nearly every major invitational? i dont know. and i dont think anyone does.
not a theory
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 12:48PM - in reply to . . . Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
the playing field isn't level due to doping
-clean athletes lose money and medals to dopers
-as said already kids may have to dope to win gold

imo doping in t+f should be brought out into the open like cycling

how many buy the clean olympics hype?
-a large percentage i'd say
-at least cycling fans know what's going on

i can think of loads of clean athletes beaten by dopers who got all the glory and money
ArloTheHouseCat
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 3:19PM - in reply to A Realist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I used to have the "who cares" attitude but not so much any more.
The athletes that get screwed out of their careers, out of medals, out of records... it turns the sport into pro wrestling.

If there is ever a big investigation into Kenya and EAfrica and they get "Lanced" can you imagine? ALLLLLL the excuses that have been made for their superiority, how they just flat out work everyone, they are just "made" to run fast... (many of the same excuse made for LA)

So no, I do not want hard working athletes to get money and careers stolen from them due to not having the best doctors, or be willing to shoot up.
PhoenixRunner
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 3:32PM - in reply to not a theory Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

not a theory wrote:

the playing field isn't level due to doping
-clean athletes lose money and medals to dopers
-as said already kids may have to dope to win gold

imo doping in t+f should be brought out into the open like cycling

how many buy the clean olympics hype?
-a large percentage i'd say
-at least cycling fans know what's going on

i can think of loads of clean athletes beaten by dopers who got all the glory and money

Something dont smell right about this Lance saga. I cant put my finger on it. Why now? Too many questions. It is too easy, almost like he was meant to take the fall. Like even this confession was planned.
. . .
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 3:34PM - in reply to not a theory Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thing is cycling and running are not like pro wrestling at all.

I like seeing fast times, and personally would never choose athletics as a career, even if I was good enough.

Given all the hate for lance, what is so much different about what he was doing compared to being on NOP "legal" cocktail.
not a pro
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 3:39PM - in reply to A Realist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If I was a professional athlete I would 100% use PEDs. The testers can't keep up with the science. Time to legalise.
Good Art
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 3:52PM - in reply to A Realist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"If I knew I was going to Wrestle in the finals of the Olympics against a Russian and I knew he had been training specifically to beat me, but then I knew the guy was on Steroids, That would HELP me. Whereas some might think 'oh he's cheating, for me you didn't pay the price. You're not as committed as I am. It'll tear him apart. He may be strong, but all I have to do during that 9 minutes of wrestling is loosen one single wire in his brain, make him do something that isn't perfect, and he'll fall apart."from Dan Gable when reading 'A Fighters Mind'
slowish guy
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 4:49PM - in reply to Good Art Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
im not really all for ped use. but there are so many technological advancements being made in the world that the line is really becoming so fine in determining what should and shouldnt be legal and what gives you an unfair advantage. take altitude tents and alter-g treadmills for example. i think using an altitude tent is just as much cheating as injecting EPO. if you want the benefits of altitude then you can damn well move to flagstaff or boulder.
hoop de doo dum.
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 4:57PM - in reply to A Realist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think it's a fine line. Wejo admitted to using caffeine to boost performance. Is that a PED, it was performance enhancing. But it wasn't Legal. What about those runners that use ADHD meds or people that take drugs to mask pain so they can perform.
Neb
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 4:59PM - in reply to A Realist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your hypothesis makes sense only if people only take "safe" types and amounts of PED's. In a competitive environment that simply won't happen. If PED's are legal people will push the limits of doping until somebody dies. Do we really want to force our most talented and driven individuals to operate in an environment like that? Would you want you child in an environment like that?

I have a feeling that people like you just want to be entertained - without understanding that people who make their living in sports deserve to be able to do so without unecessarily risking their health.
mstars
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 5:44PM - in reply to A Realist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It bothers me due to the fact that my husband was a clean elite athlete competing for prize purses against athletes that doped. He worked his butt off to be competitive and finish on the podium and to know that he should have placed higher is a bummer. I personally believe that PED use should be a one and done offense. If you are caught and the retest of the B sample is positive, then you are done for life. Your athletic performances should be about you, not your prescriptions.
Realing and dealing
RE: Does PED use really bother you? 1/18/2013 5:58PM - in reply to A Realist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Nope. I dont give a flying Fvck. They're all doping so who cares.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |