Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Lee Harvey Oswald
Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 11:08AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ever since I read the article written by Magness, something has really been bothering me.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/01/news/magness-my-interactions-with-lance-armstrong_64596

"Ive been involved in this sport at high levels for a number of years, have coached amazing athletes like Jackie Areson and Sara Hall, and have seen the work athletes like Alan Webb and Ryan Hall put in day in and day out. This gives me faith that amazing things can be done the right way, without the need for performance-enhancing drugs."

Why mention those athletes and perhaps not the ones that have made the biggest impact on the running scene? There is absolutely no mention of Mo Farah or Galen Rupp despite his time spent at the Nike Oregon Project. Why?

The timing of his departure was odd as well. Articles came out in early July that talked about his departure, with both sides claiming it was mutual. But why leave during an Olympic year? We all know what Rupp and Farah went on to do.

http://features.rr.com/article/0eA68wO93a0we

I have followed Magness on Twitter for awhile and during the Olympics, there was absolutely no mention of either Rupp/Farah.

https://twitter.com/stevemagness

However, he did congratulate Leo Manzano after his 1500 meters. On August 10th, he sent this out...

"Drugs ruin our sport. Turn the Olympics into a farce. Hard to get excited for any event with the cloud of drugs hanging over it."

I might be reaching will of this information, but it all just seems too peculiar. So my conspiracy mind has came to the realization that he left Salazar because MAYBE they were not doing things the 'right way'.

The article about Lance would have been a perfect time to bring up both Rupp and Farah, yet there was absolutely nothing.
college kid
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 11:17AM - in reply to Lee Harvey Oswald Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I suspect that you're right. I've heard from more than one credible source - with direct inside knowledge, I might add - that Salazar is up to no good.
dksaaakak
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 11:18AM - in reply to Lee Harvey Oswald Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Let's say he got fired from the NOP or they just didn't renew his contract because he wasn't contributing. Would it be natural for him to praise the athletes still with the NOP or would he have hard feeling against them?

If he got fired why wouldn't he say what he knows if something shady is going on with the NOP? Why would he care if he pisses off Nike? He doesn't work for them or coach their athletes.

Also, why wouldn't athletes who left and lost their contracts, like Amy Yoder Begley, blow the whistle if something shady was going on?

I NOP is doping there are too many people who would know about it and who have no reason not to talk. That's not proof one way or the other but it doesn't seem plausible for there to be widespread doping and for it not to have come out by now.
Lee Harvey Oswald
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 11:33AM - in reply to dksaaakak Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"I NOP is doping there are too many people who would know about it and who have no reason not to talk. That's not proof one way or the other but it doesn't seem plausible for there to be widespread doping and for it not to have come out by now."

I don't buy this. There are plenty of people in this country that know about doping and don't report it. Everyone has different motives, just because you get fired from something, even if that was the case, doesn't mean you have to call foul.
kindadumb
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 11:35AM - in reply to dksaaakak Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Nike controls track and field.

If you piss off Nike you're done.

Is it that difficult to see why no one would talk?

Does anyone remember what one of Nike's sports marketing guys did to Justin Gatlin's massage guy?

Has anyone not seen what the ANdreau's or Emma O'Reilly or anyone else who went out against lance?

Their lives sucked for a decade or more.

The question is why would anyone come out?

If you're a former athlete still competing you're risking getting blackballed by the biggest sponsor, who also puts on big meets, who also contributes to USATF.

If you're a coach, you're risking retribution from Nike. If you coach pro's, you're risking having your pro runners screwed over by Nike.

So why pray tell would you risk your livelihood for an uncertainty?
nycer 8
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 11:39AM - in reply to Lee Harvey Oswald Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
well august 10 was the day of the women's 1500 final, won improbably by a drug cheat and a suspected drug cheat. Both from Turkey. And that was after a suspicious men's 1500. Not surprising that that was a tough pill to take and inspired antidrug messages.

You are projecting a whole lot of meaning into twitter messages.

Lee Harvey Oswald wrote:

However, he did congratulate Leo Manzano after his 1500 meters. On August 10th, he sent this out...

"Drugs ruin our sport. Turn the Olympics into a farce. Hard to get excited for any event with the cloud of drugs hanging over it."

Lee Harvey Oswald
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 11:41AM - in reply to nycer 8 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Still doesn't change the fact that there is no mention of Farah and Rupp.
drunk people talk alot
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 11:52AM - in reply to Lee Harvey Oswald Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ya.... I've heard some pretty direct things before against Alberto (and Rupp). (From, a former Salazar athlete and an athlete of someone who worked with Salazar, respectively. I don't think the two sources even know each other.) Also, the reason Ms. Goucher left is.... comical. And even worse. (From the second source).

The sources did agree that not everyone coached by Alberto is immediately put on drugs, though. And those that are, micro-dose to levels still naturally found in the human population (although not simultaneously).
fdfafsdfads
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 12:04PM - in reply to drunk people talk alot Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
do tell more...
rAMjAM
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 12:08PM - in reply to drunk people talk alot Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

drunk people talk alot wrote:

Ya.... I've heard some pretty direct things before against Alberto (and Rupp). (From, a former Salazar athlete and an athlete of someone who worked with Salazar, respectively. I don't think the two sources even know each other.) Also, the reason Ms. Goucher left is.... comical. And even worse. (From the second source).

The sources did agree that not everyone coached by Alberto is immediately put on drugs, though. And those that are, micro-dose to levels still naturally found in the human population (although not simultaneously).

Great info, thanks for leaving it. Are there any more specifics you can share and any way you can make this more credible? This is our country's most successful current distance running coach and his two superstars, we need this info.
Precious Roy
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 12:27PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Gossip Column wrote:

Magness was a butt boy with a clip board plain and simple. They had hoped his scientific approach might add something to the formula , it didn't.
This chatter about about something going on , rumor and speculation by people that know nothing about anything and their closest relationship with Nike are the shoes in their closet.

Magness is one of the better sports science researchers out there in the distance running world. But he is not a great coach (yet). Al Sal hoped that all the science would translate into better coaching for his athletes. But coaching is only based on science and is not science.

Also, Magness wants to coach. He was kept on a very short leash in Oregon. He is now in a better place at UH where he can get the experience of bringing along Div. I runners in his own program with complete control rather than getting thrown an athlete or two in Oregon.
x^3
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 12:28PM - in reply to drunk people talk alot Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"sources" lol keep telling lies on the internet buddy. It make you look real cool.
Experience
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 1:08PM - in reply to x^3 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Magness is a scientist that ran. Coaching is a talent that takes time. He has not yet really coached except for a few HS runners. He still needs to learn to put his knowledge into "Coaching". UofH will be good for him.
There are many great coaches out there that do not have the science knowledge, but can coach people.
Magness still needs experience. Give him time.

I kinda think of him as Dr. Strangelove(Peter Sellers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mUCLHzWiJo
Still now answered
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 1:20PM - in reply to Experience Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I still want to know how Magness dropped 13 or 14 seconds in his senior year as well as his two teammates that dropped about 10 in their senior years too? All those miles, hard hard work? his mumbo jumbo genius? Come on there was something going on there too and all 3 never improved off those hs times? Isn't that curious. Dropped from a 1:57 to 1:52 also. Yea right.
glycerinrunner
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 1:25PM - in reply to kindadumb Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
or Brooks Running CEO, VP of Marketing and other Brooks management type removed from the Trials because Nike er USATF didn't appreciate their advertising creativity
lid yard
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 2:25PM - in reply to Still now answered Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Still now answered wrote:

I still want to know how Magness dropped 13 or 14 seconds in his senior year as well as his two teammates that dropped about 10 in their senior years too? All those miles, hard hard work? his mumbo jumbo genius? Come on there was something going on there too and all 3 never improved off those hs times? Isn't that curious. Dropped from a 1:57 to 1:52 also. Yea right.

He was running 110 miles per week or so, if a HS kid can handle it and they have a little talent that will get them going.
Scarlem12345
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 3:09PM - in reply to lid yard Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Interesting that Magness jumped on the bang wagon in slamming Lance, when he mentions that Salazar and Lance are buddies.

If Magness had any respect or friendship with Salazar, then he would know to keep his mouth shut.

Im guessing Salazar dropped Magness and there is some bad blood there.
not my per usual
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 3:34PM - in reply to Scarlem12345 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There has been a lot of suspicion around Salazar for a LONG time. Little bits of hearsay come up every so often that can't be taken as proof but do provide answers to some of the eyebrow raising things going on. Does no one think Mo Farah's and Rupp's drastic improvements are a little odd? Farah goes from a 13:07 5k guy to one of the greatest of all time in essentially one year? A white kid chops 20+ seconds off his 10k each year and runs faster than a lot of doped up Africans from the 90s? Salazar has always been a shady character and works for the most powerful organization in sports and has virtually unlimited resources? All his athletes suddenly developed medical conditions upon joining his group that require prescription meds with performance enhancing effects? Very likeable and genuine seeming athletes steer away from the group? Never heard anyone involved in the group give praise to it? I mean, none of this is definitive proof, but there're an awful lot of reasons to be suspicious. Honestly I would be shocked if Salazar's athletes weren't taking a cocktail of illegal and grey area substances.
newenglander
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 3:35PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Have any of you read this?

Written May 7, 1999 by Albero Salazar:

http://law.duke.edu/sites/default/files/migrated_files/dl_file-sportscenter-salazar_4.pdf

Page 2, Alberto says:

" I believe that it is currently difficult to be
among the top 5 in the world in any of the distance events without using EPO or Human
Growth Hormone "

Why would he say that? how would you explain Mo and Rupp going 1-2 in London?
Check the Date
RE: Why did Steve Magness leave Nike and Alberto Salazar? A theory.... 1/18/2013 4:01PM - in reply to newenglander Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Check the date! 1999...
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |