PORAC
I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 7:42AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Admit it, sports industry (USADA, IAAF, WADA, NCAA, USATF, etc.) testing it's own athletes is a sham. It's the same charade in sports that we have with the police investigating their own officers for crimes. Only non-human gaming sports (with animals) have 100% independent & transparent PED testing in the United States utilizing government clinicians, detectives, lawyers, and law enforcement officers. Not to worry, PED Testing in Gaming uses ZERO taxpayer funds. Instead a levy is made on prize money and tickets. Discuss.
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 7:58AM - in reply to PORAC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No
PORAC
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 7:59AM - in reply to PORAC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So the 1st question is :

Would athletes be willing to pay an entry fee tax, would fans be willing to pay a ticket tax, and would winners be willing to pay a prize money tax, for 100% Independent/Transparent PED Testing.

That means every aspect of PED testing is controlled and managed by government personnel. No interns. No Pre-MED students. No rent-a-cops. No athletes who aren't entered. No contracting out to security firns. No guys on loan from the University. Only real a-whipping cops and detectives could handle materials, computers, schedules, etc. Only government labs would evaluate samples.
IJ(&^%#gycI
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 8:10AM - in reply to PORAC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So if the testing is paid for by a tax on the prize money and tickets, how is it independent? I am more liberal than you can imagine. Even I can't see how you can claim the testers are independent if the sport foots the bill just because they are government employees.

For independence, the government should give any sport that wants it money to set up testing. Then the testing should be paid for by people who test positive. Each person who tests positive, through some due process, is fined, maybe all of their winnings and most of their indorsement money, maybe even their future winnings are taxed.

This would do away with needing to ban people. Testing positive would just cost them money. People who have tested positive in the past would have to agree to pay to be tested in order to compete in the future. They would also have to agree to pay to have their samples stored for a certain amount of time.
PORAC
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 8:18AM - in reply to IJ(&^%#gycI Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes that is possible. There are many models possible as well but the gaming model has already existed for many decades in the United States and can be implemented quickly. The States insisted back in the day that Gestapo controls be put in place to ensure organized crime elements would not pollute sports.
My name is Lance
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 8:40AM - in reply to PORAC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I agree. We all know anything the fed govt does is beyond corruption and always results in the gospel truth. Just look at how pure & full of integrity our politicians are..

Sh&t, let's just put govt in charge of everything. They know best & can save us from ourselves, comrades.
One Adam Twelve
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 8:49AM - in reply to PORAC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You call the cops in an emergency. This is an emergency.
Hangman's Noose
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 10:51AM - in reply to PORAC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There aren't enough laws against taking PEDS and knowingly assisting PED cheaters. If we had laws, police at meets and races could arrest race directors, coaches, agents, doctors, teammates, athletes, etc. turn them over to the fans, so we could hang them at the finish line.
My name is Lance
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 1:05PM - in reply to Hangman's Noose Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
fans at a track meet? what - you mean the 4 skinny geeks wearing the way too short shorts, sitting alone in the empty stands, reminiscing about that 5:03 mile they ran back in the day?
Counted three
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 1:16PM - in reply to My name is Lance Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

My name is Lance wrote:

fans at a track meet? what - you mean the 4 skinny geeks wearing the way too short shorts, sitting alone in the empty stands, reminiscing about that 5:03 mile they ran back in the day?

I counted three track geeks at the last meet I attended. Did I miss someone?
just another guy
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 1:25PM - in reply to PORAC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why? I don't see any reason to spend tax dollars to police sporting GAMES. Let the athletes choose to use PEDs at their own discretion. The athlete will then suffer the negative effects of the choice. The fan will get to witness a better sporting performance.

Personally i still vividly remember the Ben Johnson PED aided gold medal performance and was in awe.
Tax and Spend Lib
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 1:25PM - in reply to Counted three Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just have Bammy tax a few more rich people to get the funds for the testing program.
duhh
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 2:02PM - in reply to Tax and Spend Lib Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
if it were really going to work:

1) lifetime bans for all professional sports (lance could not switch to tris/marathoning/etc)

2) repayment of ALL scholarships, sponsorships, and prize money regardless of WHEN the using took place (ie - you would have to repay your university your college scholarship if you tested positive 10+ years later - also, if they are broke at the time, all future earnings from any source are garnished to repay these debts)

3) possibility of being tested at all levels (of course not worth it to test local 5k - but even things like footlocker finals would/could be tested)

4) big incentives to turn others in (rewards of $20K or more, for example, for info leading to a conviction)

if you completely take away their only way of making a living, would that deter cheaters? no longer could one say, it was worth it for the time being because i was able to make a lot of money in the short term, while it lasted...
IJ(&^%#gycI
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 2:13PM - in reply to duhh Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
On another thread there is talk of a statute of limitations. To truly take away their way of making a living, you would have to get rid of any time limits.
duhh
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 2:17PM - in reply to IJ(&^%#gycI Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

IJ(&^%#gycI wrote:

On another thread there is talk of a statute of limitations. To truly take away their way of making a living, you would have to get rid of any time limits.

right, i agree, the only way to escape having to pay back all of the money would be to die. even if they were 90 years old and dying, if they admitted/were proven guilty, all assets would be liquidated immediately.
. . .
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 5:07PM - in reply to PORAC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
hyou fa99ots take sports way to seriously. the govt should in now way be involved in meaningless athletic affairs.
Realing and dealing
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 6:02PM - in reply to PORAC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Oh so maybe we should apply that to the NBA/NFL/MLB ie the national thug leagues?

They are all doped to hell and no one even cares. Such a joke. SI is a fvcking joke.
RAYCIST
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/18/2013 11:08PM - in reply to Realing and dealing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dats racist!
Hebrew National Hot Dogs
RE: I hate to say it but we need Gov't 100% Independent & Transparent PED Testing 1/19/2013 1:15AM - in reply to Counted three Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

I counted three track geeks at the last meet I attended. Did I miss someone?

A PED Test assessment added to the entry fee and first dozen complimentary passes would do it. We need to bring in ball busting cops to clean up our sport you know. Penn Relays sells 25,000 seats and has 200,000 complimentary coaches and parents passes. Kansas Relays sells 20,000 seats and has 100,000 in the stands. Mt Sac et al sells 10,000 seats and has 600,000 at 5 stadiums over the better part of two weeks.