Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Jackie D..
My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 10:20AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
She says he's probably mentally ill. And she really hasn't followed the situation/news until recently, but that's the conclusion she came up with, hearing about his actions. Now I know some might see this as an excuse, but it could just be the truth -- how else could someone live such a bizarre, twisted life, attacking people he knew were telling the truth, destroying people's lives, etc., etc., unless he is a sociopath, or at least seriously bipolar/has some kind of major personality disorder.

Again, this does not excuse his repugnant behavior, but I think it is a plausible explanation. He might need help, seriously. And to be honest, he should seek it -- it might also be the only way people (some people) will understand his actions. If it is confirmed that he is disordered due to a mental illness (or multiple illnesses) some of this would almost make sense. Or at least make more sense.

If not, then what, he is just evil? Perhaps, but I think the odds of serious mental illness in this case are very, very high.
Hincappe
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 10:33AM - in reply to Jackie D.. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well I mean are you willing to consider narcissism a mental illness? Psychologists do, but I think the rest of us just call them A@@holes...
Jackie D..
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 10:42AM - in reply to Hincappe Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know what you mean of course. But I'm talking about not just a sickening self-obsession, but also a chemical imbalance at the root of it that really messes up his decision making process and subsequent actions. Something beyond the breath-taking narcissism. Maybe he's just a complete a@@hole, but there is a real possibility that he needs some serious psychiatric help.
yes but....
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 11:31AM - in reply to Jackie D.. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If he has a chemical imbalance, then he didn't need any PEDs?
Mad Scientist
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 11:38AM - in reply to Jackie D.. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The line between being great and being mentally ill is sometimes a fine line:

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2010/02/peyton_manning_is_a_genius.single.html
ArloTheHouseCat
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 11:38AM - in reply to Jackie D.. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He used in a sport where using PEDs are as common as bike chain grease.

I think after his cancer he took the "WTF- I'm gonna die..let's go for it." attitude and decided if he was going to dope he was going to be the best doper ever.

I fault him for his behavior towards those that outed him more than his use.
metabolic uncoupling
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 12:14PM - in reply to Jackie D.. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Jackie D.. wrote:Maybe he's just a complete a@@hole, but there is a real possibility that he needs some serious psychiatric help.

I agree with your wife's theory that Lance is a megalomaniac/mentally ill. I could never imagine treating ex-teammates, friends etc. in the same way he has throughout his life. Further, he bolted on his family AND broke up with his girlfriend while she was battling cancer (imagine that? I'd think his own battle with cancer would build empathy and compassion for others suffering with the same affliction). I think it's pretty safe to assume Lance is emotionally unbalanced.
Jackie D..
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 12:44PM - in reply to metabolic uncoupling Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Right. And despite the extent of his deplorable actions, unprecedented in sports perhaps, it makes me have some kind of sympathy for him, to be honest. Especially where he's at now. The media over-hyped him when he was on top, and now they are going/will go too far to destroy him now that he has reached the bottom. All the vitriol toward him might could make him crack, especially if he does have a legitimate mental illness. That said, the responsibility for his actions lies with him, and he deserves much of the criticism, but I just hope he does not really lose it, as an unstable person, and then do something stupid like take his own life. I don't think he would ever do that, especially as an egomaniac, and it might sound far-fetched, but I do think he should get help. Even he deserves forgiveness at some point, despite all the destruction and deception he caused.
The Super
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 12:47PM - in reply to metabolic uncoupling Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sheryl Crow announced she had breast cancer two weeks after they broke up, so it's not clear he knew about it before the breakup. Also, I never read anywhere that he broke up with her. Seemed like a mutual thing.

Regarding mental illness, I'm not willing to assign his behavior to that. He was protecting himself and his money-making ability. Mentally ill people don't usually behave that way, though there are exceptions.

metabolic uncoupling wrote:

Jackie D.. wrote:Maybe he's just a complete a@@hole, but there is a real possibility that he needs some serious psychiatric help.

I agree with your wife's theory that Lance is a megalomaniac/mentally ill. I could never imagine treating ex-teammates, friends etc. in the same way he has throughout his life. Further, he bolted on his family AND broke up with his girlfriend while she was battling cancer (imagine that? I'd think his own battle with cancer would build empathy and compassion for others suffering with the same affliction). I think it's pretty safe to assume Lance is emotionally unbalanced.
flavia
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 12:51PM - in reply to Jackie D.. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He may be a sociopath/psychopath but is not bipolar. There are plenty of examples of powerful men who thought they could get away with whatever they wanted regardless of who got hurt in the process.

Think about the guys running Enron, the trader who lost billions for Chase, even Tiger Woods. I don't think Lance is really any different from them. They were all willing to take any risk necessary to achieve power and wealth.
cats & dogs
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 12:51PM - in reply to Jackie D.. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The hardest part is that you can't force someone to go with you to get help. I'd kidnap him to a doctor if I could do it.
Mr. Obvious
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 12:53PM - in reply to cats & dogs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cats & dogs wrote:

The hardest part is that you can't force someone to go with you to get help. I'd kidnap him to a doctor if I could do it.

Why? What do you suspect or hope a doctor could do for him?
Some lunatic
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 12:57PM - in reply to Mr. Obvious Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This thread is useless without pics
Rush Maddow
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 1:02PM - in reply to Mr. Obvious Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You all are wrong. Lance's behavior is a direct result of coming from a broken family unit. The only situation that could have been worse for him would have entailed him growing up in a 2-parent household in which both parents were gay.

Signed,

The Extremist Right Wing
Lance cured me
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 1:13PM - in reply to Jackie D.. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That's funny. That's the exact same thing my wife told me yesterday. That he must be mentally ill based on the way he denied and attacked his accusers for so long. That at best he was suffering from pathological delusions.

I don't buy it. I think he just got in too deep with his lies and then there was just too much to lose on his end to end the ruse. And as long as he had never been caught with a positive test, he figured he could just continue down this road forever. I couldn't imagine living with the constant fear/anxiety of being exposed as a fraud. Lance is one mentally tough dude.
Freddie Mercury
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 1:16PM - in reply to Lance cured me Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Latently homosexual?
cats & dogs
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 1:21PM - in reply to Mr. Obvious Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm not sure anyone, including himself, knows what is wrong or going on. If he is saying he needs help then I'd be the first one outside the door, in a sleeping bag on the cold ground at 3 a.m., waiting to take him to get help.
Mr. Obvious
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 1:39PM - in reply to cats & dogs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cats & dogs wrote:

I'm not sure anyone, including himself, knows what is wrong or going on. If he is saying he needs help then I'd be the first one outside the door, in a sleeping bag on the cold ground at 3 a.m., waiting to take him to get help.

OK. I wouldn't but you may be a better human being than me. Anyway, I have no doubt that Lance could use help. I don't think that help is in the form of a psychiatrist of prescription drugs. More like counseling, though counseling with people like him is often counter-productive, mainly giving him better tools to manipulate others.
monty
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 1:39PM - in reply to Jackie D.. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hi all,

I agree with your wife. I saw this on Narcissistic Personalty Disorder.

He's got all the issues, not an excuse for his wrong behavior. Also think he is some characteristics of a sociopath like most so called famous people.
They surround themselves with people who tell them how great they are.

Narcissistic personality disorder

Last reviewed: November 14, 2010.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a condition in which people have an inflated sense of self-importance and an extreme preoccupation with themselves.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

The causes of this disorder are unknown. An overly sensitive personality and parenting problems may affect the development of this disorder.

Symptoms

A person with narcissistic personality disorder may:

React to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation

Take advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals

Have excessive feelings of self-importance

Exaggerate achievements and talents

Be preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love

Have unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment

Need constant attention and admiration

Disregard the feelings of others, and have little ability to feel empathy

Have obsessive self-interest

Pursue mainly selfish goals

Signs and tests

Like other personality disorders, narcissistic personality disorder is diagnosed based on a psychological evaluation and the history and severity of the symptoms.

Treatment

Psychotherapy (for example, talk therapy) may help the affected person relate to other people in a more positive and compassionate way.

Expectations (prognosis)

The outcome depends on the severity of the disorder.

Complications

Alcohol or other drug dependence

Relationship, work, and family problems

References
1.Blais MA, Smallwood P, Groves JE, Rivas-Vazquez RA. Personality and personality disorders. In: Stern TA, Rosenbaum JF, Fava M, Biederman J, Rauch SL, eds. Massachusetts General Hospital Clinical Psychiatry. 1st ed. Philadellphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier;2008:chap 39.

Review Date: 11/14/2010.
Monty
cats & dogs
RE: My wife has a theory about Lance... 1/17/2013 2:01PM - in reply to Mr. Obvious Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Which problem is it because I am at a total loss here and all my hopes are crushed and I have no clue what to do anymore. We have lots of wild guesses - narcissism, straight a*shole, aspie, sociopath, undetermined...

And does he even want to get help?

I don't feel any urgency to grill him or ask him any questions. I only want to get to a better place.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |