Tokiloko
"Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/15/2013 7:39PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm a junior in high school, and in my honors lit class we are reading "Into the Wild," a relatively popular book that was also made into a movie. Anyways, in chapter 11 the author gives a short summary of McCandless's life. In short he says that McCandless was a natural athlete, but he didnt care for sports until he found running, andhe was captain of his XC team in highschool. Does anybody have any clue to what his times may have been? I think he graduated in 1987 from W.T. Woodson High (unsure of the yr.)
iouhyjg
RE: "Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/15/2013 7:54PM - in reply to Tokiloko Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I tried to look it up a while back and couldn't find anything.
High Wire
RE: "Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/15/2013 8:48PM - in reply to iouhyjg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Alaskan Wilderness Invitational- DNF
Matthew Foley
RE: "Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/15/2013 8:55PM - in reply to Tokiloko Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Probably pretty slow - he was on the leading edge of the low mileage dark days for American HS running.
the stonehenge
RE: "Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/15/2013 9:07PM - in reply to High Wire Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

High Wire wrote:

Good one
my talent
RE: "Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/15/2013 9:26PM - in reply to the stonehenge Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
56 McCandless, Chris WT Woodson 16:25.70 (2.98 miles)

http://va.milesplit.com/meets/100348/results/165897

nothing from 83 or 85 from him in that meet
Daedalus
RE: "Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/15/2013 9:55PM - in reply to my talent Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He never even got off the bus at his last meet.
Krakauer
RE: "Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/15/2013 11:03PM - in reply to Daedalus Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He wasn't carrying a lot of extra weight back then..
Molasses runs faster than me
RE: "Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/15/2013 11:06PM - in reply to High Wire Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

High Wire wrote:

I know I should have more respect for the deceased, but I just couldn't stop laughing at that one.
ukathleticscoach
RE: "Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/16/2013 4:15AM - in reply to my talent Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

my talent wrote:

56 McCandless, Chris WT Woodson 16:25.70 (2.98 miles)

http://va.milesplit.com/meets/100348/results/165897

nothing from 83 or 85 from him in that meet

Well done
Why would you?
RE: "Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/16/2013 4:21AM - in reply to Molasses runs faster than me Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The kid did what he wanted to do, often without respect for others and certainly without any regard for his family. His death was a silly comedy of errors.
CharmingCharlie
RE: "Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/16/2013 4:28AM - in reply to Why would you? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Why would you? wrote:

The kid did what he wanted to do, often without respect for others and certainly without any regard for his family. His death was a silly comedy of errors.

Your life is a silly comedy of errors.
Some lunatic
RE: "Into the Wild," Character's Cross Country Times 1/16/2013 7:42AM - in reply to CharmingCharlie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

CharmingCharlie wrote:

Why would you? wrote:

Your life is a silly comedy of errors.

Feels more like a sarcastic comedy of errors.