Sawin' Logs
Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/15/2013 6:00PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not trolling...serious question here...but it will probably get deleted anyways.

Took a road trip recently to attend a friend's wedding. I decided to travel with a mutual friend of ours who is at least 325 lbs and 5-9. Needless to say I got very little sleep the two nights we stayed at the hotel due to his excessively loud snoring.

I have several aunts and uncles who are very overweight and will rudely doze off at family gatherings and all of them snore.

Lastly, I dated a woman who became overweight during our relationship (long story, don't care to share) and she suddenly started snoring every night (didn't snore at all when she was thin).

So why is this?
afasdfs
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/15/2013 6:33PM - in reply to Sawin' Logs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just googled it and found this. I have no idea if it's true, but it sounds somewhat logical.

"Fat in your neck and throat narrows your air passages, making it harder to catch your breath. When you’re lying down, your body position further narrows the air passage. Snoring is the sound your sleeping body makes as it struggles to take in oxygen.

And that’s not all: the increase in body fat actually displaces good muscle tissue. You lose muscle tone, and the tissues in your throat become saggy—leading to more pronounced snoring."
Sawin' Logs
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/15/2013 6:36PM - in reply to afasdfs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

afasdfs wrote:

Just googled it and found this. I have no idea if it's true, but it sounds somewhat logical.

"Fat in your neck and throat narrows your air passages, making it harder to catch your breath. When you’re lying down, your body position further narrows the air passage. Snoring is the sound your sleeping body makes as it struggles to take in oxygen.

And that’s not all: the increase in body fat actually displaces good muscle tissue. You lose muscle tone, and the tissues in your throat become saggy—leading to more pronounced snoring."

Thanks..too lazy to google. Still catching up on sleep here.
fat for a while
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/15/2013 6:39PM - in reply to Sawin' Logs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've noticed this, too. I was fat for a while. At the height of my fatness, I suddenly started waking myself up snoring. Never happened before I was fat. Never happened after I got back into decent shape. But while I was fat, I couldn't sleep on my back because I'd start snoring if I did.
dont think so
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/15/2013 6:39PM - in reply to Sawin' Logs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
your sample population contains about 6 thats hardly most overweight people. Start sleeping with all the heavy ladies and find out if they really do all snore
Puhleez!
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/15/2013 9:11PM - in reply to dont think so Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, fat women are more likely to snore than the skinny ones, but the solution is much simpler with the chubby chicks. Just stick something in their mouth and they quiet down.
Sawin' Logs
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/15/2013 9:22PM - in reply to dont think so Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

dont think so wrote:
Start sleeping with all the heavy ladies and find out if they really do all snore

Why don't you. I already did my time.
dont think so
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/15/2013 9:36PM - in reply to Sawin' Logs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
because you're asking the question and i already do it anyways
dont think so
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/15/2013 9:37PM - in reply to Sawin' Logs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
because you're asking the question and i already do it anyways
WiT
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/15/2013 11:23PM - in reply to Sawin' Logs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Obstructive Sleep Apnea in about 90% of the cases.
butt nugget
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/16/2013 9:18AM - in reply to Sawin' Logs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
isn't creating a thread on here more effort than googling something?
Justin91
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/16/2013 9:37AM - in reply to afasdfs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

afasdfs wrote:

That's actually wrong. All things being equal, fat people are more muscular than normal weight people.

Case in point, when I gained 40 pounds I could do 3 good clean pullups even though I didn't work out. Now I'm back in shape and I've lost the 40 pounds and I do pullups twice a week. But I can only do one or two pullups with a 40 pound vest.
Randy Oldman
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/16/2013 9:42AM - in reply to Sawin' Logs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sleep apnea is a symptom of obesity.
CAS
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/16/2013 9:49AM - in reply to Randy Oldman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Did your own snoring wake you up or did you fall asleep at work and someone told you that you sound like a garbage truck driver?

You got nothing on me. No one wants to sleep next to me
Mind Runner
RE: Why does almost every overweight person snore? 1/18/2013 12:03AM - in reply to CAS Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My husband is 5'9" and weighs around 155-160, so not over weight. He snores all of the time! I always pray to fall asleep first. He also wakes himself and me up with an extra loud snore/snort. He then goes right back to sleep (with the snoring) while I get to listen to the noise.