Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
.innocent bystander
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 10:41AM - in reply to fdcgv Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

fdcgv wrote:

If you want to make a living by running around in short shorts then you have to promote the hell out of yourself. A lot of runners these days don't seem to get that the money they're earning is advertising money.

Meanwhile, the Letsrun armchair critics get on here and poke fun at the sub-elite runners who 'promote the hell out of themself'.

Just stating the truth...
rupp-certified saladbar
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 10:41AM - in reply to Boyles Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Boyles wrote:

Hew Balance ?

LOL :)
Jokers
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 10:58AM - in reply to Zap? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ha yes they are and right before Patrick Joyce dropped the ball on all of their individual sponsored athletes he renewed their sponsorship of Zap-freaking-fitness, a place where post collegiate dreams go to die and have for the last decade and also where is his boy Pete Rea pretends to have a job
they do sponsor
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 11:33AM - in reply to Jokers Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
They still sponsor Steve Jones!
jyuper
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 12:59PM - in reply to Jokers Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This may be true; however, the greater message here is one lost on so many post collegiate runners. Just because you are fast does not mean that you can/will be paid to run, with the exception of a handful of the highest tier elites. ZAPP has adult running camps and looking at their web site does clinics, youth work coaching etc. Some 14:30 5k guy doing all of those things is in many ways more valuable than a 27:30 guy who races 6 times a year (4 of them being european track races). The general running public - with the exception of the 1/2 of 1% Lets run people does NOT know the difference between a 35:00 10k woman and a 31:30.
pay the piper
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 1:09PM - in reply to Jokers Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Pete does a great job and treats his athletes right. Zika has a business that has embraced elite runners. Hansons has done the same. All other training areas are set up so that coaches can make a living. Think about it. Zap is unique and provides opportunities for athletes without making a living off of the athlete.
asdgfh
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 3:39PM - in reply to nikeman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bobby Curtis tweets:

"FTR I have nothing but love for Reebok. They've chosen to focus on areas outside of running specialty, that's life and their choice."

That's a refreshing perspective compared to some elite runners who seem to feel they're entitled to support from a shoe company.
Blu
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 4:53PM - in reply to iouhyjg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

iouhyjg wrote:

I heard Reebok is going full on crossfit.

You mean they make stuff for cross dressers?
ddnbb
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 5:17PM - in reply to pvd ftw Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, she is now signed with New Balance. Kim tweeted:

Kim smith ‏@Kimsmithnz
Excited to now be running for @newbalance can't wait to try out my first pair of @NBRunning shoes!

Great choice!
ddnbb
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 5:18PM - in reply to ddnbb Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
And New Balance says:

New Balance Running ‏@NBRunning
We're delighted to welcome @kimsmithnz to our @NBRunning family! Looking forward to watching her make excellent happen! #TeamNB
VKTRS
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 5:32PM - in reply to ddnbb Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That's a good choice. NB is located in the northeast US where Kim Smith trains and also sells shoes in NZ.
Big12
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 7:27PM - in reply to Runners Roost Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Who's Rizzo?
Bill the Butcher
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 8:31PM - in reply to Big12 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That would be 2:13 Marathon runner, Patrick Rizzo.
Van
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/16/2013 8:57PM - in reply to Bill the Butcher Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
One of my guys, now with Zap, tells me Reebok is re-entering the running shoe market this coming February. I know, they have often risen then exited many times before. Saw their spike last June. Had the Foster midsole and plate but with a radical, quilt-like upper. Perhaps they are saving sponsorship dollars and will just use standard advertising. Who knows?
glycerinrunner
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/17/2013 9:50AM - in reply to Van Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
time will tell; we'll see, the DMX retro stuff does not look appealing
fosters
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/17/2013 10:41AM - in reply to glycerinrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If they are going to re-enter they need to have legitimate racers and spikes, as far as I'm aware it is about 5 or 6 years since they released a flat or a spike anywhere, that is a serious big hole and the marketplace has moved on and become seriously competitive. When they wee producing simple light racers a few years ago like the yellow ones with the one piece sole their product was legit but that was probably 10 years ago now!

If they are serious about this then why ditch athletes who could give the brand much needed credibility? i don't understand why their athletes have been wearing good product, both spikes and racers for several years which must have involved serious R&D and yet none of them went to market??? A seriously frustrating company.
glycerinrunner
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/17/2013 10:56AM - in reply to fosters Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
appears they are focusing on the "fad" races

Reebok Spartan Dash
http://shop.reebok.com/us/content/spartan-race
Not shoes for real runners
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/17/2013 11:04AM - in reply to glycerinrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

glycerinrunner wrote:

appears they are focusing on the "fad" races

Reebok Spartan Dash
http://shop.reebok.com/us/content/spartan-race

And crossfit shoes/gear:

http://shop.reebok.com/us/shoes-men-s-crossfit/_/N-svZu2Z1z12xfw

Now available in camo!
BO coffee
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/17/2013 11:52AM - in reply to Jokers Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Perhaps in the larger global picture my professional career could be viewed as one that "died" but all I know is Zika and Pete gave me a shot for 4 years when no one else would. I improved my1500m time 8 seconds while there and qualified for an oly trials which I ran. That never would have happened without their support and coaching. They fed me health ins salary etc and asked for little in return. I was a tier III collegian but they saw something in me. B.o.
fosters
RE: Kim Smith dropped by Reebok 1/17/2013 2:39PM - in reply to BO coffee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not so many years ago Reebok had a good range of shoes at good prices...

Aztrek
Ventilator
Boston
Inferno
Racer X

spikes
World Grand Prix....

Then it all went wrong, now it seems they are going all guns blazing after cross fit, the same way they did after aerobics in the 80's... they seem to forget that if you keep going after fads without a strong foundation and credibility in key sports that don't go away in 5 or 10 years you fall on your backside when those people move to the next fad!
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |