Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Mattomattt
Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 3:33PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks, sorry for the stupid question Ive just always been confused about this...
J.R.
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 3:37PM - in reply to Mattomattt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Distance runners don't do "cardio" and don't do weight lifting either.
Mattomattt
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 3:39PM - in reply to J.R. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
what?
dazedandnotconfused
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 4:07PM - in reply to Mattomattt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I lift before, primarily because I'm too tired/lazy to lift after I get in from a run. Also, if you lift before you are able to run the lactic acid out.
Apigsheaven
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 4:13PM - in reply to Mattomattt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I run first
sylvan
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 4:31PM - in reply to Mattomattt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Run first. Do a second run second.
spd
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 4:34PM - in reply to Mattomattt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Do whichever activity you are most interested in improving first. AMP Kinase will get set for either endurance or strength from your first activity and won't fully switch back during the second activity.
Bad Wigins
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 5:13PM - in reply to Mattomattt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Do them at different enough times that neither one is before or after. Then you'll get the most out of each workout.
Sweaty or Sciencey?
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 5:31PM - in reply to Mattomattt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You could read the book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006200753X?ie=UTF8&tag=sweascie07-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=006200753X

According to the author, the answer, since you are a runner is cardio before weights.
Randy Oldman
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 5:39PM - in reply to Mattomattt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As a runner - before
As a lifter - afterwards

You want to be able to give 100% in your primary workout.
gym halpert
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 6:18PM - in reply to Randy Oldman Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Lift after your runs on your quality training days
Montesquieu
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 7:22PM - in reply to Sweaty or Sciencey? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the reference.

Sweaty or Sciencey? wrote:

You could read the book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006200753X?ie=UTF8&tag=sweascie07-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=006200753X

According to the author, the answer, since you are a runner is cardio before weights.
depends on
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 7:30PM - in reply to Mattomattt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think it depends on how much you're running and how many times a day you're running....and what time of year.

When you are doing a lot of quality running (in a competitive season), I'd say lift later in the day on your hard days.
dont think so
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 7:50PM - in reply to depends on Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
distance runners shouldn't lift weights
crazy raisin
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 8:02PM - in reply to Mattomattt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
After. Always after. You should always do a cardio warm-up before lifting so there's no sense lifting and then going for a run. Everyone who said otherwise is wrong.
ekin
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 8:14PM - in reply to crazy raisin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Serious lack of science in this thread. I don't claim to have the answers but there's certainly nobody in here convincing me either way.
dont think so
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 8:21PM - in reply to ekin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you want science go to a lab you want big muscle go to a gym you want to run fast don't lift weights
kanny
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 8:39PM - in reply to Mattomattt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21836044.

Doesn't answer your *exact* question, but I figure this is a good start for you. (There are other studies that do answer it more specifically).
umm
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 8:41PM - in reply to Mattomattt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If you are a long distance runner you should not be lifting.
Canada Coach
RE: Im a long distance runner, Should i do Cardio before or after weight lifting? 1/15/2013 8:57PM - in reply to kanny Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Warmup run

weights

longer easier run

If on a hard workout day:

Hard workout
cool down and a bite to eat
short warmup run
weights
light cool down run
Pages: | 1 | 2 |