Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
alien rubicon
Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 3:19PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know I'll get flamed for this as everyone thinks they're smarter than they are, but I really am a good deal brighter than everyone else in my family. They all agree with this (not that we've ever explicitly talked about it), and I think they view me somewhat as a curiosity, somewhat of an entertainment rather than a fellow insider of the group. They all love me, and I them, but I do feel lonely and unfulfilled much of the time. I kind of wonder how this happened given intelligence is pretty heritable and every other smart person I've talked to say others in their family are of comparable intelligence. In my case, most of my family members are less intelligent than the average person I come across and one has even expressed getting tired of "being treated like an idiot all the time" by people (she gets treated that way for a reason I'm sorry to say).

Anyone else like this? How common is this? What causes this sort of thing to happen? In my case I think others had great potential but either killed their intellect through substance abuse or let their brains whither away through lack of stimulation. Not sure about the other two.
Well Now That You Mention It
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 4:39PM - in reply to alien rubicon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Same here. Only different.

All my siblings (9 of us in all) have IQs between 120 and 140. Mine is 180. As a result I am a total outsider. Within the family it is generally believed (but unspoken) that I do not have the same biological father as my brothers and sisters. Maybe the same is true of you.
yahhh right
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 4:59PM - in reply to Well Now That You Mention It Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Well Now That You Mention It wrote:

Same here. Only different.

All my siblings (9 of us in all) have IQs between 120 and 140. Mine is 180. As a result I am a total outsider. Within the family it is generally believed (but unspoken) that I do not have the same biological father as my brothers and sisters. Maybe the same is true of you.

1/10, but no one on letsrun is that smart.
genetic freak
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 5:07PM - in reply to yahhh right Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am of average intelligence; everyone else in my family is below-average. My only sibling is bordering on retarded. In my family, I'm like the "missing link" who made the evolutionary leap from ape to human.
Bad Wigins
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 5:10PM - in reply to alien rubicon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, but I have no need to qualify it with "in my family."
Good Wigins
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 5:15PM - in reply to Bad Wigins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Bad Wigins wrote:

Yes, but I have no need to qualify it with "in my family."

This is coming from the same guy that thinks leg length matters in stride length?
Galactica
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 5:20PM - in reply to alien rubicon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Me too. My mom is dumb as rocks as well as my sister and brother. My Dad is average.
Bang
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 5:34PM - in reply to alien rubicon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I noticed a LOT of people on this site are Civil Engineers from the How Many Hours A Week Do You Work thread and it made me think about how my Dad is a Civil Engineer and how he wanted me to become one as well and how I decided not to because I like my free time so in that sense, Yes, I am probably the smartest in my family.
Mr. Lulz
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 5:34PM - in reply to alien rubicon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
6 kids, I'm the youngest. The two youngest boys are the smartest by a great deal. But my family isn't really smart, most of my siblings scored 20-22 on the ACT, my brother and I scored 30s or above and have IQs in the 125-135 range.

Parents are averageish.
Randy Oldman
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 5:41PM - in reply to yahhh right Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

yahhh right wrote:

1/10, but no one on letsrun is that smart.

I don't think he's trolling. I think he's 15.
I might be
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 5:54PM - in reply to alien rubicon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I suppose it depends on how you measure smartness. In terms of actual IQ, I'm probably not the smartest person in my family. In terms of ability to use my brain to accomplish tasks, I might be.

My sister and my father are both bright people, but they lack the emotional intelligence to accomplish anything. My sister subscribes to the "if I don't try, I can't fail" mentality. My father is one of these eternal victim types. To him, working hard on a project is tantamount to being taken advantage of by some big bad employer who just wants to crush the little guy and laugh all the way to the bank. The irony is that if he'd spent his life worrying about accomplishing things instead of obsessing over whether or not he was being treated fairly, he'd probably be the "big bad employer" himself today. Instead, he is the little guy because he's always been too busy worrying about fairness to put his mind to doing great things.

My mother and I are the only people in my family who possess both the mental and emotional intelligence to actually do anything important.
uncle failure
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 6:53PM - in reply to alien rubicon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i had the best SAT's, and ended up at the "more prestigious school",,,,

but,

i am the dumbest of my siblings - i have made the worst life / financial decisions. so i am the dumbest in the group.
dont think so
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 7:02PM - in reply to uncle failure Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i can do maths and reading and stuff
alien rubicon
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 7:46PM - in reply to alien rubicon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
To elaborate, I'm a pretty smart guy... I'm in a Ph.D. program in a hard science. Neither of my parents are college educated. My brother was pretty smart at one time but has destroyed his brain through long term substance abuse and is now about as smart as a 10 year old. My sister has always been a bit of an airhead but has to be on prescription meds that have rendered her borderline retarded. My dad was probably pretty smart in his youth, but he's getting a bit older now and has let his brain whither away as he has done nothing but work the last 40 years (literally; he has no hobbies, hates music, movies, people, refuses to read anything more than he absolutely has to, etc) and his job isn't very intellectually demanding. He's the type of guy who thinks he has the answer to every problem in the world despite being embarrassingly ignorant and naive. My mom is probably a bit above average, but she's extremely close-minded, and I think this inhibits her quite a bit.

I guess looking at them each individually, it seems they all had potential but chose to lifestyles that made them stupid. Even with my sister's condition, she has always hated anything educational and only cares about very shallow stuff (think Kim Kardashian and talking about herself). I am most certainly the offspring of both my parents as I look quite a bit like both of them. It's still strange to me that I'm so unlike them though.
dont think so
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 7:54PM - in reply to alien rubicon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
my dad once counted past 1 million beat that
janaku
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 9:42PM - in reply to dont think so Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This wiki article talks about illusory superiority and why self-analysis is often inaccurate with specific biases

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority
alien rubicon
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/15/2013 11:01PM - in reply to janaku Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

janaku wrote:

This wiki article talks about illusory superiority and why self-analysis is often inaccurate with specific biases

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

Definitely legitimate, but score in the 97th and above percentiles on a dozen standardized tests throughout your life and you get a bit of an idea in where you stand relative to the general population.
MonkeyMan
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/16/2013 6:01AM - in reply to alien rubicon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

alien rubicon wrote:

Definitely legitimate, but score in the 97th and above percentiles on a dozen standardized tests throughout your life and you get a bit of an idea in where you stand relative to the general population.

That's true, if you think standarized tests are really an accurate measure of intelligence.

I'm really good at taking standarized tests and always do well, but I'm dumb as hell. Standardized tests are only good at measuring how good you are taking standardized tests.

But, whatever helps you sleep at night.
Robert palalistine
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/16/2013 6:17AM - in reply to MonkeyMan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Both of my parents are heroin addicts, so yea
Randy Oldman
RE: Anyone else substantially smarter than everyone else in their family? 1/16/2013 6:51AM - in reply to alien rubicon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think the negative effects of high-intelligence can outweigh the advantages. Depression, anxiety, social ineptitude, insomnia, under-performance, obsessive behavior, addiction.

I'm pretty glad I'm not in the 97th percentile. Oh sh*t, I am and I suffer from all the above.

People with high IQs need to find the right obsession in order to make an impact on the world. Look at Einstein as the classic example.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |