Joe Knows
Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/15/2013 3:05PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Since its inception in 1954, Sports Illustrated magazine has annually presented the "Sportsman of the Year" award to "the athlete or team whose performance that year most embodies the spirit of sportsmanship and achievement." Wikipedia

Though it's still early in the year, my vote goes to Travis Tygart.
I quit voting
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/15/2013 3:25PM - in reply to Joe Knows Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Joe Knows wrote:

Since its inception in 1954, Sports Illustrated magazine has annually presented the "Sportsman of the Year" award to "the athlete or team whose performance that year most embodies the spirit of sportsmanship and achievement." Wikipedia

Though it's still early in the year, my vote goes to Travis Tygart.

With the United States of America leading the free world in performance enhancing drug use, some of the worst health and mortality rates in the world compared to other developed countries, the most propagandist media since Goebbels nazi germany, and an inane belief we are superior to all other coutries because of the coercion begun at a young age to salute an inanimate object that others view as a symbol of that superiority, I wouldn't be so quick to honor a person simply because he caught a cheat almost a decade after the violation.

I love living in the United States but am smart enough to realize we aren't nearly as good as we think we are.
Joe Knows
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/15/2013 7:11PM - in reply to I quit voting Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
On behalf of clean athletes everywhere -- and in the face of the same type of vile public relations blitz endured by Lemond, the Andreus and countless others -- Tygart didn't let it go. He took on the monster (which includes public perception, Armstrong's Livestrong cancer shield, the UCI, Nike and all of Armstrong's other sponsors, and all of Armstrong's lemmings -- and he didn't let it go. Is it a perfect system? No. Did it take USADA way too long to reach its conclusions? Yes. But the fact of the matter is that Tygart didn't let it go.
bigtool
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/15/2013 8:48PM - in reply to Joe Knows Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I hope it's Jerry Sandusky
Matthew Foley
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/15/2013 9:04PM - in reply to Joe Knows Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Young Non-white QBs - changing the game

RG3
Colin Kaepernick
Russell Wilson
Cam Newton
asfhlsdhifuh
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/15/2013 9:31PM - in reply to Joe Knows Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
coach d
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/15/2013 9:43PM - in reply to Joe Knows Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
klhilkhkl
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/16/2013 11:13AM - in reply to Matthew Foley Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Matthew Foley wrote:

RG3
Colin Kaepernick
Russell Wilson
Cam Newton

This group, to date, is RINGLESS.....Pro football is the ultimate team game, and your young blacks will be judged only on how many Super Bowl Championships they win.
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/16/2013 11:59AM - in reply to Joe Knows Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Do you actually have a vote at SI or is this just a suggestion?
Agreer
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/16/2013 12:03PM - in reply to I quit voting Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

I quit voting wrote:

I love living in the United States but am smart enough to realize we aren't nearly as good as we think we are.

Obama, is that you?
Joe Knows
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/16/2013 1:40PM - in reply to Agreer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
SI benefited just about as much as anyone else with the Armstrong debacle. How many covers was Armstrong featured on? How many magazines did he help sell? My point is that they now have a rare opportunity to make a statement. How cool would it be if the best “Sportsman of the Year” was not an athlete, but rather an individual who stood up on behalf of clean athletes everywhere in the wake of tremendous adversity? Heck, they’ve given the award to a horse in the past. Why not give it to the guy in the suit who took down Team Armstrong?
change of perspective
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/16/2013 1:49PM - in reply to Joe Knows Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Joe Knows wrote:

. Why not give it to the guy in the suit who took down Team Armstrong?

I just changed my mind. This travis guy should take down ALL sports like ncaa football, basketball, nfl, mlb, nba, nhl and every minor sport ever played that we KNOW there is doping in every one so then that SI rag wouldn't have anything to write about and go out of business like it should have back in the 90s.

And yes my spelling and grammar is atrocious in that rambling run on sentence I didn't have time to go back and redo as I have many other posts to state my opinion on.
Justin91
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/16/2013 1:49PM - in reply to klhilkhkl Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

klhilkhkl wrote:

Matthew Foley wrote:

RG3
Colin Kaepernick
Russell Wilson
Cam Newton

This group, to date, is RINGLESS.....Pro football is the ultimate team game, and your young blacks will be judged only on how many Super Bowl Championships they win.

Ummm, you are talking about three first-year starters and the Superbowl is still a few weeks away.
ASDL;JSL;ADJ
RE: Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year 1/16/2013 3:50PM - in reply to Justin91 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ummm, you are talking about three first-year starters and the Superbowl is still a few weeks away.[/quote]

Justin, only one is bowl eligible right now, Kapernack. He's fabulous, but don't ya thing Belichek is going to leave somebody home to ring his bell? I smell 3/4 interceptions.

Cam is done mentally.
RG is done physically.

Wilson is good. Reminds me of a young Roger Staubach. (Staubach was a white boy who played in 4 Super Bowls, winning 2. Razzled, dazzled em to death. But the media don't want ya'll to know that.) Call me in 8/9 yrs and we'll see how your young blacks "changing the game" are really just imitating what's already been done decades ago. But, hey, ya gotta love the hype.