Pages: | 1 | 2 |
webby
RE: Mary Cain To Run 2 Miles at 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix on Feb. 2nd 1/14/2013 7:56PM - in reply to the rocket. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

klhilkhkl wrote:
Why? What's the hurry to get this girl off and married. Married to a pro career at age 16???? What's the rush?

This isn't a new precedent. Most HS records are set in open/pro races. Why would you want to prevent Mary from having the opportunity that most others of her caliber always have had and likely always will?
Pewow
RE: Mary Cain To Run 2 Miles at 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix on Feb. 2nd 1/14/2013 8:28PM - in reply to sadl;fjl;sdajl;sda Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your opinion differs from mine. Therefore you sir are a troll.

[

B]sadl;fjl;sdajl;sda wrote:

(I'm not saying this process is for everyone. I understand the need for being a part of your high school team and growing socially in that setting. I believe that 99.9% of runners would benefit in the high school and college systems, but for the Mary Cain's of the world, I feel it is time for her to go pro now!
)^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ah, no, nice try but you're wrong... other sports like football do not let players go to the NFL draft until after their sophomore year of college.. and you ain't ever gonna see a 16 year old boy quarterbacking the Alabama Crimson Tide...standards put in for the good of the kid/athlete. Even if Mary could compete on the world stage right now, what is the hurry??? Let her come up through the ranks for her own good: 4 yrs high school competition, 2 yrs of college competition and then the open/pro scene.....Mary will get a false sense of accomplishment, along with the cheers of thousands, and the adulation of a media that doesn't know the sport when she runs in Boston. Meanwhile other 16 year old runners from around the world will correctly told that in the not so distant future (2016) or (2020) that in due time they could be an Olympic champion. Mary will be crowned too soon, at age 16, in Boston.[/quote]
klhilkhkl
RE: Mary Cain To Run 2 Miles at 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix on Feb. 2nd 1/14/2013 9:01PM - in reply to george oscar bluth Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

george oscar bluth wrote:

(The best 16 year old quarterback in the country isn't good enough to go pro. The best 16 year old runner in the country, at this point, might be good enough to go pro.
)

Technically, no, she's not good enough, yet. She went to the USA Olympic Trials 800 meters last June but didn't even make the finals...good for her age,but not good enough, yet.... that comes with age, maturity, more years of training and racing...don't buy the hype, don't chase the money, let her mature at a normal pace. If you knew anything about the sport you would realize that a middle distance runner peaks at 24 ----not 16/17. She should focus on whether she will attend Oregon, Stanford, or Villanova....not on how she's gonna run against Olga Kornabunions from Romania or Itees Baloone from Kenya....later for that, when she is physically mature enough to handle it...say, year 2020. P.S...If a 16 yr old goes pro, she can't compete in NCAA's....can be lonely out there on your own....
Jerome Kopf
RE: Mary Cain To Run 2 Miles at 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix on Feb. 2nd 1/15/2013 1:27PM - in reply to klhilkhkl Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You seem to know 16-year-old girls better than the rest of us. I just figure they are the Eighth Wonder of the World and let it go at that.

Einstein thought the Eighth Wonder was compound interest.

Aaron Swartz left the Sweet Old World of Lucinda Williams last Friday without revealing his choice. He left this world and broke our hearts.
N. Amos
RE: Mary Cain To Run 2 Miles at 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix on Feb. 2nd 1/15/2013 3:46PM - in reply to d1 exp Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
yeah, maybe i shouldn't have ran that 800m OG final, 18 yo is really young...hahaha just kidding bro!

d1 exp wrote:

Why?
Canova>God
RE: Mary Cain To Run 2 Miles at 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix on Feb. 2nd 1/15/2013 4:22PM - in reply to the rocket. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think people are making too big of a deal about this. She is running a 2 mile race. Whether it is against pros or not is not going to hurt her. Say she ran this same race but it was against high school competition. She would crush the field and not get any experience out of it. Now if she races against pros she will actually be able to run against people at her level. Believe it or not either way it is still 8 laps and 18 meters of hard running. I think she will be fine running in races of this level even if she is young.
worst poster
RE: Mary Cain To Run 2 Miles at 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix on Feb. 2nd 1/15/2013 4:41PM - in reply to Canova>God Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Canova>God wrote:

I think people are making too big of a deal about this. She is running a 2 mile race. Whether it is against pros or not is not going to hurt her. Say she ran this same race but it was against high school competition. She would crush the field and not get any experience out of it. Now if she races against pros she will actually be able to run against people at her level. Believe it or not either way it is still 8 laps and 18 meters of hard running. I think she will be fine running in races of this level even if she is young.

^THis^

She should run a modest racing schedule against similarly skilled runners. SHe would not find that in HS and would possibly run too many useless races.

Nobody is advocating she enter every DL meet this year.
alanson
RE: Mary Cain To Run 2 Miles at 2013 New Balance Indoor Grand Prix on Feb. 2nd 1/31/2013 10:50AM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
NB Grand Prix is sold out. When does Mary decide to share in some of the profits?
Pages: | 1 | 2 |