Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Watagatapitusberry
Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/11/2013 2:24PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So I was just looking at the entries for the NYC Gotham Cup meet at the Armory today, and I noticed that Ajee Wilson is entered in the 500 listed as adidas. I know she planned on not going to school til next year so she could train with her track club and try to make the worlds team, but I was confused as to why she was listed as adidas and not her club team or even unattached. Does anyone know if she's gone pro?

Here are the entries to the meet. She's seeded 2nd after Latavia Thomas in the 500:
http://www.directathletics.com/NYCGothamFinalEntriesNT.pdf?downloader=1&sport=track&meet_hnd=27137
superawesomness
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/11/2013 4:32PM - in reply to Watagatapitusberry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Curiouser and curiouser, indeed...
Watagatapitusberry
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/23/2013 10:17PM - in reply to Watagatapitusberry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just wanted to point out that I noticed that Ajee went pro almost 2 weeks before any official articles were released stating the fact. Kiid gets no love...

http://nj.milesplit.com/articles/99000-ajee-wilson-joins-adidas
Athletes come and go
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/23/2013 11:33PM - in reply to Watagatapitusberry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No, ask who is her agent because he might have some explaining to do. The agent might have orchestrated the delay. Ask yourself these questions
How does an agent have such access to a freshman?
When did he contact her?
What did he promise her?
How could he promise her anything without having spoken to an endorsing company first?
Did she give an OK (violating NCAA rules) or did he/she act improperly without the OK of the athlete?
Did the coach help? (NCAA rules there, too).
This was a state funded school. How much money was put in to recruit her and now this is lost due to an improper reach by an agent.

Watagatapitusberry wrote:

Just wanted to point out that I noticed that Ajee went pro almost 2 weeks before any official articles were released stating the fact. Kiid gets no love...

someone had to do it
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/23/2013 11:47PM - in reply to Athletes come and go Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Athletes come and go wrote:

No, ask who is her agent because he might have some explaining to do. The agent might have orchestrated the delay. Ask yourself these questions
When did he contact her?
What did he promise her?
How could he promise her anything without having spoken to an endorsing company first?
Did she give an OK (violating NCAA rules) or did he/she act improperly without the OK of the athlete?
This was a state funded school. How much money was put in to recruit her and now this is lost due to an improper reach by an agent.

Her agent is Ray Flynn, the same agent as Alan Webb, Jenny Simpson, Ryan Hall, Cam Levins, etc.

She was not an NCAA athlete anyways.
really? ncaa? state school?
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 12:33AM - in reply to Athletes come and go Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

When did he contact her?
What did he promise her?

Why do people insist on commenting even when they have no idea of the situation?
worst poster
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 6:03AM - in reply to Athletes come and go Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

When did he contact her?
What did he promise her?

Fail.

Also T&F news tweeted yesterday that she had gone pro, which really was where all signs were pointing. So, I don't get the phony outrage.
LennyZ
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 9:22AM - in reply to Watagatapitusberry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
How does NCAA eligibility work? Did Ajee just give up on being eligible? When I was a high school senior I had a great performance in a big 10k road race. I won $400, but my hs coach said that if I accepted it, I wouldn't be eligible to run in college. Was that true? Maybe Ajee doesn't care about competing in college in the future...
worst poster
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 9:48AM - in reply to LennyZ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think signing with an agent and declaring yourself a pro is crossing the Rubicon.

Looking at the last 3y, only 1 NCAA time has been recorded that is better than her PR.

Research also amusingly revealed that there is a lady sprinter named "English Gardner"...
Alanson
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 9:54AM - in reply to Watagatapitusberry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bravo Ajee. Great runners have a gift that shouldn't be given away for free to the NCAA.
reggier
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 10:37AM - in reply to Watagatapitusberry Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

You're special. What are you, 5 years old?
douche nozzle
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 10:43AM - in reply to reggier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

reggier wrote:

+1.
Always 1-Upping. Kids these days.
4runner
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 1:55PM - in reply to Alanson Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Alanson wrote:

Bravo Ajee. Great runners have a gift that shouldn't be given away for free to the NCAA.

If only this were as true with running as it is with football and basketball...
suzy-qq
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 2:22PM - in reply to Alanson Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Alanson wrote:

^
This is correct
Watagatapitusberry
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 2:33PM - in reply to reggier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

reggier wrote:

Nope. I'm 6... You're right, I should be acting sooooo much more mature. Obviously you're a great example by taking the time to call someone out like that.
Canada Coach
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 2:50PM - in reply to Alanson Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I totally agree. Take the money while you can. She will make more than enough money to pay for her schooling. If she gets injured during NCAA season, she gets nothing. More young athletes should be taking this option if it is available.
Joro
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 3:10PM - in reply to Canada Coach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I wonder if Rojo is butthurt about this because she never won an NCAA title. That is his prerequisite for signing pro early.
agip
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 3:15PM - in reply to Joro Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I just can't get excited about teenage 800 meter runners - what is she going to do - improve 2 more seconds over her life? It just isn't that interesting.
Adam C
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 3:18PM - in reply to agip Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Or just maybe run 1:55 in her early-to-mid 20's?
TrackCoach
RE: Ajee Wilson Pro?! 1/24/2013 3:34PM - in reply to Adam C Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My criteria for turning pro is being able to compete against pros and Ajee meets that criteria. I am not sure how much development can be gained if come into the NCAA system as arguably the best.

Although I would have liked to see her run one year in the NCAA system, but all things considered, she made the right move.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |