Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
rojo
co-founder
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 9:50AM - in reply to brownsmith89 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

brownsmith89 wrote:

i hate lance armstrong. he's a selfish egomaniac.

I agree.

I mean an admission down the road/cry on Oprah's coach/book deal is seemingly inevitable in situations like this but if he does it now, he's pathetic.

This is a guy who was just months ago denying and still crucifying people who said he doped. This is a guy who tried to pull a "I'm not going to fight it as its' just not worth it" over on the public (almost worked).

If he does it now, it's simply because he can't stand being in the limelight just 3 months after it all went down. More time needs to pass for it to be an 'honest' act of contrition.

Now I say it's all "Seemingly inevitable". It may not be. An admission might result in lawsuits and perjury charges. I think he should clearly go to jail. If lying in a deposition in a multi-million case wont get you in jail, then what the hell will? I haven't read the deposition transcript but how could something he said there not have been a flat out lie?

This NY Times story is clearly a case of his people trying to get the story out there and see what the reaction is from the public/press, etc.

This is a guy who is worth maybe more than a hundred million because of a fraud. They had Bernie Madoff clawback suits - i don't get why sponsors dont' come back after him. I bet a lot of them were too stupid to have anything about doping in their contracts but clever lawyers should be able to figure something out.
Nutella1
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 9:55AM - in reply to Not my real name Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Not my real name wrote:

Friends say he is considering admitting to having used PEDs.

Obviously fake. Lance Armstrong doesn't have friends anymore.
Nutella1
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 10:00AM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

rojo wrote:
This is a guy who was just months ago denying and still crucifying people who said he doped.

Rojo, even if you repeat it 100 times, that doesn't make it true.

Lance was extremely careful about semantics since about two years ago. Since the federal investigation began he has never once denied doping.

He said "witch hunt", "most tested athlete in history", "never tested positive", "I was busting my azz on the bike", etc. But he never denied doping in years.

There is this interesting interview with Betsy (Andrews) about what Lance Armstrong did to her. It goes something along the lines of "He called me ugly, he called me fat, he called me old, ...... but he never once called me a liar".

With the rest of your statement, I agree.
iwant2napwithmisweethrt
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 10:02AM - in reply to Nutella1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
lol

People admire honesty and a willingness to forsake past mistakes. And if those friends don't forgive him, that is their loss. Lance is starting a new chapter and will make more new friends too.
wait a sec...
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 10:36AM - in reply to Not my real name Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If he told people he might admit it, isn't that kind of the same thing as admitting it?
Elle Woods
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 11:12AM - in reply to iwant2napwithmisweethrt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

iwant2napwithmisweethrt wrote:

lol

People admire honesty and a willingness to forsake past mistakes. And if those friends don't forgive him, that is their loss. Lance is starting a new chapter and will make more new friends too.

I imagine it'll be tough for a multi-millionaire to find hangers-on.
Hinderance
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 11:33AM - in reply to iwant2napwithmisweethrt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I don't believe he will actually fully admit it.

If he does "admit" it, he will eventually go on Piers Morgan at some point and say that he just made up the doping admission story to tell the racing authorities what they wanted to hear so that he can compete again. Then he will regurgitate the standard witchunt story.
Time to move forward
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 11:44AM - in reply to Nutella1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Nutella1 wrote:

rojo wrote:
This is a guy who was just months ago denying and still crucifying people who said he doped.

Rojo, even if you repeat it 100 times, that doesn't make it true.

Lance was extremely careful about semantics since about two years ago. Since the federal investigation began he has never once denied doping.

He said "witch hunt", "most tested athlete in history", "never tested positive", "I was busting my azz on the bike", etc. But he never denied doping in years.

There is this interesting interview with Betsy (Andrews) about what Lance Armstrong did to her. It goes something along the lines of "He called me ugly, he called me fat, he called me old, ...... but he never once called me a liar".

With the rest of your statement, I agree.

---
Lance and team have much to work on.
1. What legal repercussions will admittance bring about , have to be very strategic on this. Im sure they have been working on this for months.
2. Law suits shall be interesting , did they sell more when he was under contract and can they prove damages after he was suspended.
3. Will he bring down the house and implicate all involved , it could devastate the sport of cycling.
4. His spin team knows that the public is very forgiving no matter the crimes committed by elite athletes.
5. He has done good with his foundation far beyond many clean athletes.
6. His story is strong no matter how you cut it. His drugs were no better than the others , he hid it better yes , he was the best in a drug infused sport. Not that it was right it was the playing field all the elite cyclist's played on.
Society still scratches its head on athlete drug use , our ill fated steroid home run kings of past are now being considered for the BB hall of fame ?

I think its a good step forward , Lance will finally help clean up the sport of cycling maybe give better a better understanding to the drug culture in endurance sports. No one else is in a position to do it than he.
kermie
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 12:07PM - in reply to Time to move forward Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Of course I agree that Lance should do what he needs to do to clean the slate when he feels ready. You shouldn't push people to admit these types of things. They have to feel ready to make a change to actually change.

I didn't think Betsy (Andrews) was ready to open up about her latest involvement. She was at one time, but I would think that she would feel really uncomfortable talking about her and Lance's interactions after everything.

I'd bet you my panties there aren't legal repercussions coming from offended parties for reasons I won't disclose on LR. The house will not be brought down with all involved.
kermie
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 12:13PM - in reply to kermie Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
left out one important thing-

I don't think he is going to get off easy though. I think to make everything okay again it will require him to build a lot of goodwill for a long time to regain trust. It is definitely a doable task, just requires consistency and time.
TLW
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 12:13PM - in reply to Time to move forward Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Lance will admit so he get more publicity for himself, and to set himself up for a future book deal.

I can tell you right now he will set this up to admit guilt, but will say he 'doped to further his fight against cancer' and for 50% of the nation he will still be a good guy because 'he did it for the fight against cancer'.

Lance has been dropped by all his sponsors and needs to get the publicity machine going again so he can save Livestrong and make some $$$$.
5 Stages of the Tour de Grief
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 12:14PM - in reply to Not my real name Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If Lance is HUMAN, he will likely need to ride ALL 5 stages of the Tour de Grief. While some stages can be ridden simultaneously, there is no skipping stages!:
1-Denial (he won that stage, for sure)
2-Anger (he is the best stage 2 rider ever)
3-Bargaining (he should be on this stage now)
4-Depession (Entering this stage?...this is where he disappears for a while, not a lot of media contact, etc)
5-Acceptance (This is wear we will get to see him with a truly relaxed/peaceful expression on his face for the first time in 20 years. There will be the Oprah TV special and yes, we will [most of us] once again see his humanity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model
If he tries to leapfrog or cut the course
Finally
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 12:18PM - in reply to 5 Stages of the Tour de Grief Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hayduke
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 12:25PM - in reply to Jumbo Style Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Jumbo Style wrote:

I don't understand why for Lance Armstrong, some people think it's okay that he doped. If it's any other athlete, it will not be okay, but for Lance, it's fine. It's always the same bullshit lines from these mentals: He's done so much for cancer! Everyone in cycling dopes, so it's okay for him to do it!

I don't understand why it IS acceptable for all other sports to cheat. NFL,MLB, etc. these guys make in a season what took Lance a career to make, yet at best they get a slap on the wrist. Even when other sports stars are busted you get the collective feeling that no one really cares about the cheating and once the heat is off its back to normal(save for a few scapegoats like Bonds and Clemens). Actually I think these sports have the attitude that they sacrificed a couple legends and now they want the world to just leave them alone so they can cheat like they always did. sooooooooo/ As much as I hate PEDS and cheating... I am about fairness, and today it is only fair to hold Lance to no standard, just like we do for everyone else.
TLW
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 12:30PM - in reply to Hayduke Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You don't understand the whole story.

NFL players don't destroy people's lives over doping.

Lance destroyed people's lives through ruining their reputation in the industry and by ruining them financially.

99.9% of high level athletes dope and everyone knows it.

But most high level athletes don't destroy other people's lives over doping. Lance did, and that is why people have a problem with him.
TLW
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 12:32PM - in reply to TLW Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Also, you underestimate how much Lance made. $100+ million.
kermie
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 12:36PM - in reply to Finally Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You know what is the interesting thing about the Lance story is that it reflects how sensitive humans are to the truth. If Lance told a lie and the evidence supported it, people would say they believed it, but on some level humans are able to sense the lie. People sense when someone is being genuine and when they aren't.

Admittance from Lance won't shock anybody. It will allow him the opportunity to reset his relationships. If he blames it on cancer or something else, humans won't respect it. If he is sorry he will want to take full responsibility and people will respect him because they will sense its authenticity.
ccrunner609
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 1:33PM - in reply to Jumbo Style Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Jumbo Style wrote:

No, people lost millions for every time someone accused him of doping. Greg Lemond lost his bike line when accusing of Armstrong doping. British newspaper paid Armstrong $500,000 for running an article about Walsh's book.
I don't understand why for Lance Armstrong, some people think it's okay that he doped. If it's any other athlete, it will not be okay, but for Lance, it's fine. It's always the same bullshit lines from these mentals: He's done so much for cancer! Everyone in cycling dopes, so it's okay for him to do it!

So i Am wrong cause you sited one person that lost money on Lance and from what it sounds like, Lemond has nobody to blame but himself. Dont open your mouth, dont lose $. Nike and others have made millions and millions and millions.
Hayduke
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 1:36PM - in reply to TLW Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

TLW wrote:

You don't understand the whole story.

NFL players don't destroy people's lives over doping.

Lance destroyed people's lives through ruining their reputation in the industry and by ruining them financially.

99.9% of high level athletes dope and everyone knows it.

But most high level athletes don't destroy other people's lives over doping. Lance did, and that is why people have a problem with him.

I think thats a chicken or egg argument. If it wasn't accepted by the mainstream that you could use the "skill sport" argument in team sports versus "freak of aerobic nature" in endurance sports maybe their would be more aggressive actions taken by other cheaters to defend their actions? Regardless, most people can only think of Jose Canseco as a snitch for exposing baseball cheats. His reputation was destroyed, and he is the one that had the balls(although shrunken by roids) to come forward.
J.R.
RE: Breaking News: Lance will admit he doped 1/5/2013 3:05PM - in reply to Jumbo Style Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Jumbo Style wrote:

people lost millions for every time someone accused him of doping. Greg Lemond lost his bike line when accusing of Armstrong doping. British newspaper paid Armstrong $500,000 for running an article about Walsh's book.

Wonderful!

I'm very happy when people lose money for promoting the drugs. I wish all the pharma companies would go out of business for promoting the drugs, causing needless suffering and the deaths of millions of people.

It is stupid to take drugs, but it's a personal choice. Drugs don't help anyone to run any faster or live any longer. That's a bunch of corporate nonsense. The contrary is the case. I have nothing against Lance, IF he took drugs.

Who cares. That's his business and doesn't affect anyone else.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |