Car afficionado
If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/30/2012 10:19PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have been watching the Velocity Channel lately and so many beautifully restored cars. I saw Overhauling and there was such a beautiful 1955 Cadillac Convertible. I have some extra money but I would be more inclined to go after more of a muscle car. Most of the nicer and sought-after are above 100K - but what would restored car would you love to have?
Zora Arkus Duntov
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/30/2012 10:28PM - in reply to Car afficionado Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1967 Corvette 427-435 Couple Black with Red trim.
jonathon bigsby
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/30/2012 10:33PM - in reply to Zora Arkus Duntov Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1965 Triumph Spitfire
Birdlegs
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/30/2012 10:38PM - in reply to Car afficionado Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1955 Thunderbird
Kevin52
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/30/2012 10:42PM - in reply to Car afficionado Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
All rise for "The Judge"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdQzINRAVdY

http://kl52photo.smugmug.com/Planes-Trains-and-Automobiles/Autos/10844809_X3Q8HX#!i=756444115&k=HZf4RQM&lb=1&s=A

It's not fully restored but it is a hell of a lot of fun.

I originally bought it in high school, built it up into a high 12 second car and then sold it to help fund college. After graduation I got a phone call from the guy I sold it to and I ended up buying it back. At that point I turned it into a drag race car and raced it every weekend for most of the 80's until I sold it to a friend so he could race it. A few years later he got bored with racing and I ended up buying it back yet again!
Kevin52
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/30/2012 10:44PM - in reply to Kevin52 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Whoops, sorry about the bad link...

http://tinyurl.com/b336xby
fairlady
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/30/2012 11:23PM - in reply to Car afficionado Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1972 Datsun 240Z.
D. Mode
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/30/2012 11:31PM - in reply to fairlady Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
1974 Volkswagen Beetle (Cliff Green paint job)
1969 Dodge Charger R/T (Black paint job)
Pussy Galore
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/30/2012 11:36PM - in reply to Car afficionado Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Aston Martin DB5 tricked out like in Goldfinger.
idrinkmilk
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/30/2012 11:47PM - in reply to Pussy Galore Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yeah, you could drive around just like Bond. He is one of the loneliest characters ever written, as was shown in the last few movies.

The best part about restored cars is that you know someone fixed it and took good care of it over the years. There is nothing worse than watching a driver treat his Aston Martin like s*it.
Rollin
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/30/2012 11:47PM - in reply to Car afficionado Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have a 1971 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow, which definitely gets a LOT of attention. People see it from the side or the back, and sometimes aren't quite sure what it is, but once they see the front end, there is no doubt. The grille and hood ornament are unmistakable!

That said, these cars might look pricey, but they aren't really -- like mine is worth less than a new Honda, or a new Hyundai, haha! But they are hard to find.
not enough money yet
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/31/2012 12:00AM - in reply to Pussy Galore Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My brother and I are going to Mecum in Kissimmee at the end of January. (just to look, not buy)

My car would be a 68 jag
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/scaler/632/473/images/b/2012/06/29/5455099/0_002.jpg

His car would be a 67 camaro
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/scaler/632/473/images/b/2012/12/30/65936221/AutomotiveUSA1924_1356863952963.jpg
fairlady
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/31/2012 12:11AM - in reply to Rollin Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Rollin wrote:

I have a 1971 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow, which definitely gets a LOT of attention. People see it from the side or the back, and sometimes aren't quite sure what it is, but once they see the front end, there is no doubt. The grille and hood ornament are unmistakable!

That said, these cars might look pricey, but they aren't really -- like mine is worth less than a new Honda, or a new Hyundai, haha! But they are hard to find.

Wow. Cool!

How is reliability - when something does go wrong, how hard/expensive is to find parts or get stuff fixed?
Rollin
RE: If you had beautifully restored car - what car would that be? 12/31/2012 12:24AM - in reply to fairlady Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Haha, good question! The repairs/maintenance is the nasty part, if it goes to a mechanic. Very expensive -- it can get totally out of hand! And there are only two shops in town that will work on it. There is a repair book for it, which I have, but yeah, parts are hard to get, and expensive.