Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 |
ian edwards
Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 7:15PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think I can do it. I'm going to start at midnight. Every hour on the hour, I'm going to head out the door for 2 miles. All slow easy pace. I'll end up with 48 miles if I do it right.

I don't know if I'll get any sleep or not but I'm going to try. I don't have anything important to do tomorrow so that won't be a problem.
Jon Ulm
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 7:22PM - in reply to ian edwards Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It will be difficult. Also, it will be tempting to run 6 miles in order to take a couple hours off to sleep.
It is not easy staying awake for 24 hours.
Why not do 22 miles and come back and do 22 additional miles 12 hours later?
ian edwards
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 7:27PM - in reply to Jon Ulm Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've done 15,5,5,5,15 before for a 45 mile day. The first run was at 6am and the last run was at 7pm. So I guess it was easier in a way, since I wasn't up for 24 hours.

But this just seems like it would be a fun thing to try. And I've stayed awake for 54 hours without sleep before. But that was when I was younger and it was just to try it.
yygg
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 7:31PM - in reply to ian edwards Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
shouldnt you do stuff like this during the summer and not right in the middle of your buildup for outdoor season?
SameBoat
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 7:32PM - in reply to Jon Ulm Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
do it
ian edwards
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 7:33PM - in reply to yygg Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

yygg wrote:

shouldnt you do stuff like this during the summer and not right in the middle of your buildup for outdoor season?

It seems like it would be better to do it now because I wont sweat and have to take a shower every hour.
Jurgis Rudkus
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 7:48PM - in reply to ian edwards Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Are you going to be doing these all at the same time each hour (1:00, 2:00, etc) or just within the hour interval? You could buy yourself some more recovery time by running two miles from 1:45-2:00 then just continuing on from 2:00-2:15 to get your two for the next hour out of the way early.
coopington
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 7:55PM - in reply to Jon Ulm Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Jon Ulm wrote:
Why not do 22 miles and come back and do 22 additional miles 12 hours later?

I'm no mathematician, but maybe because it doesn't add up to 48. Even if it did (24 + 24), why take only 12 hours of recovery if you've bought yourself more like 18 hours of recovery.
Please tell me why?
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 8:03PM - in reply to ian edwards Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why do you do this to yourself edwards? Just train hard and have a good track season and don't do a bunch of crazy crap that is going to get you hurt.

I had a buddy who tried to run a sub-5 mile every hour for twenty four hours. It didn't work out so well. At least you're not as crazy as him. He didn't get hurt or anything, so, maybe you'll be okay.

Sorry I snapped a little bit there at the beginning, but we worry about you, brah. Good luck and have fun.
Link
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 8:11PM - in reply to Please tell me why? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I say do it. Go slow. On the van Aaken threads, vladimir said that, when he trained with the good Dr. they would run every other hour for 14 hours for an entire week. Run at 6 am, 8 am, 10 am etc. until 6 pm. Every run was an hour long. I'd like to do that sometime in the future.

Back in the day, people wouldn't have even blinked at a stunt like this. I had a friend back in the eighties who always wanted to start the new year off with a one mile run and add one mile onto that every day for the entire month of January. I don't think he ever was able to do it, but I think he had a lot of fun trying.

Just report back.
worst poster
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 8:16PM - in reply to ian edwards Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bump it up to 2.3 and you can take a 3+h nap in the middle.
beerandashot
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 8:38PM - in reply to ian edwards Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Drink a beer and a shot at the bottom of every hour-and you'll have something to brag about.
ian edwards
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 10:16PM - in reply to Jurgis Rudkus Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Jurgis Rudkus wrote:

Are you going to be doing these all at the same time each hour (1:00, 2:00, etc) or just within the hour interval? You could buy yourself some more recovery time by running two miles from 1:45-2:00 then just continuing on from 2:00-2:15 to get your two for the next hour out of the way early.

Good idea. I guess I COULD do that if I started to get really tired. But I'm going to try every hour on the hour.
ian edwards
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 10:19PM - in reply to Please tell me why? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Please tell me why? wrote:

Why do you do this to yourself edwards? Just train hard and have a good track season and don't do a bunch of crazy crap that is going to get you hurt.

I had a buddy who tried to run a sub-5 mile every hour for twenty four hours. It didn't work out so well. At least you're not as crazy as him. He didn't get hurt or anything, so, maybe you'll be okay.

Sorry I snapped a little bit there at the beginning, but we worry about you, brah. Good luck and have fun.

Yea, what your friend did is extremely tougher than what I'm going to do.

And I don't think what I'm doing can hurt me, its just 2 miles.
ian edwards
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 10:21PM - in reply to Link Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Link wrote:

I say do it. Go slow. On the van Aaken threads, vladimir said that, when he trained with the good Dr. they would run every other hour for 14 hours for an entire week. Run at 6 am, 8 am, 10 am etc. until 6 pm. Every run was an hour long. I'd like to do that sometime in the future.

Back in the day, people wouldn't have even blinked at a stunt like this. I had a friend back in the eighties who always wanted to start the new year off with a one mile run and add one mile onto that every day for the entire month of January. I don't think he ever was able to do it, but I think he had a lot of fun trying.

Just report back.

I'll be reporting back! Every hour. I don't think I'm going to time myself though. Because I know I'm going to be going slow.

Heres the route I'm going to be doing.
http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=503700
Fellow Georgian
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 10:44PM - in reply to ian edwards Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Can you document this somehow? Like do a short video each time before you go out for your run describing how you feel mentally/ physically.
sbs1
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 10:50PM - in reply to ian edwards Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why not just do a 24 hour run and be done with it? The record is about 188 miles.
ian edwards
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 10:51PM - in reply to Fellow Georgian Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That would be cool.. but that would probably piss my girlfriend off, as she is behind me trying to sleep.

Also, I don't have anything to record with. And my laptop doesn't record video.

I should have planned ahead.
ian edwards
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 10:52PM - in reply to sbs1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

sbs1 wrote:

Why not just do a 24 hour run and be done with it? The record is about 188 miles.

Maybe one day.
Too Big Man
RE: Tomorrow I'm going to run 2 miles every hour for 24 hours. 12/29/2012 11:03PM - in reply to ian edwards Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your coach must love this shiite
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 |