Good Art
What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/28/2012 8:13PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
After long runs or periods of increased mileage I will get muscle spasms and quivers. It also seems that I get these with accompanied muscle weakness and a decay in performance. Can anyone explain the cause for these and if it signals any concern or direction for training?
0bi
RE: What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/29/2012 6:59AM - in reply to Good Art Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Overtraining...
ddffv
RE: What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/29/2012 9:50AM - in reply to Good Art Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Every symptom you've described is a symptom of electrolyte loss. It's an easy fix.
ddffv
RE: What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/29/2012 9:51AM - in reply to ddffv Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
PS - nothing to do with overtraining
hydrate
RE: What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/29/2012 10:53AM - in reply to ddffv Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I agree with the electrolyte theory. When the muscles start to quiver (usually the hamstrings) get the electrolytes in asap. Better yet, if you can predict when they are going to quiver before they spasm you should get the electrolytes in prior. The gels aren't great tasting but they should really help with this problem. Be sure to hydrate along with the gels and do so well in advance of your long run. Be sure that your muscles along the hamstrings and glutes are balanced in strength with you hip flexors and quads. It was a problem for me as well.
lol lol lol lol
RE: What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/29/2012 3:29PM - in reply to Good Art Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Good Art wrote:

After long runs or periods of increased mileage I will get muscle spasms and quivers. It also seems that I get these with accompanied muscle weakness and a decay in performance. Can anyone explain the cause for these and if it signals any concern or direction for training?

You might wish to try a ZMA product like http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/now-foods/zma-180-capsules.html . See http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/search?q=magnesium .
0bi
RE: What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/30/2012 8:20AM - in reply to Good Art Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Good Art wrote:
(...) periods of increased mileage I will get muscle spasms and quivers. (...) with accompanied muscle weakness and a decay in performance.

Overtraining.
0bi
RE: What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/30/2012 8:26AM - in reply to 0bi Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Although it would be easier to identify or dismiss with a little more info.

How's your libido? Sleep quality? BP?

What distance do you train for btw?
Peace Out
RE: What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/30/2012 8:28AM - in reply to Good Art Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I take gels but I also have these capsules I take before the run called "Endurolytes" (from Hammer nutrition). They are full of sodium, calcium, potassium and magnesium and so far they've helped me a lot.
pinoyathletics
RE: What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/30/2012 3:16PM - in reply to Good Art Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Drink plenty of Gatorade watered down and take ZMA before bed.
Also eat a Banana or two after training.

Its due to loss of electrolytes.
Reg Fields
RE: What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/30/2012 3:32PM - in reply to Good Art Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have the same problem, it actually happens after the runs (about 30 to 45 min). I took gels, drank smart water, took elecotrolyte tablets, drank a ton of gatorade, it didn't seem to help. The only thing that seemed to help a bit was colder weather, I sweat more than anyone I know

Maybe you are doing your long runs at too hard of a pace, I think that was my problem but I have decided to scrap the long runs for now, the cramps were just too painful.

Also, do you stretch enough, I think people with less flexibility tend to have these problems more often.
pinoyathletics
RE: What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/31/2012 12:57AM - in reply to Reg Fields Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Cold Shower straight before and straight after on a hot day.
uneducated opinion
RE: What causes long run or long training muscle quivers and spasms? 12/31/2012 1:08AM - in reply to pinoyathletics Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Dehydrated muscles are working to rehydrate themselves. That water doesn't get back in there on its own.