Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
N Symmonds
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/22/2012 10:59PM - in reply to C'mon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

C'mon wrote:

She is dirty! there are many legal substances out there--stuff you can even buy in a drug store. However, as an elite athlete it's her resposibility to know what is on the banned list! Therfore, she is dirty!!!

You're right, she is dirty. Ohh yes she is very very dirty.
Balian
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 12:35AM - in reply to +ve test Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
First Suzy and now Maggie. Bad week for blonds.
rekrunner
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 4:18AM - in reply to Balian Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have an idea. Why don't we create independent bodies whose job it is to see that athletes are being controlled.

This body would create a charter and rules, and work with the existing different sporting federations to ensure that all the applicable athletes are conforming to all the applicable rules.

Some of the rules would factor in things like cooperation, as well as aggravating circumstances, that would allow them to offer lenient, or extended sanctions.

They would also be educated in the effects of all the different drugs available, and maintain a list of banned substances and practices.

Then this body would be best positioned to evaluate all of the evidence and determine the best judgement.

Just a thought to try and avoid all of these armchair judgements by the uneducated masses with incomplete evidence.
Sprintgeezer
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 9:54AM - in reply to bannedforstupidity Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

bannedforstupidity wrote:

Look, I was in the testing pool for many years. EVERY SINGLE TIME I was prescribed something to take whether it be orally, topically, nasally, etc. I looked it up on USADAs web site. It is incredibly easy to do. You just type in the drug name and it tells you if it's banned, if you need a TUE, etc. I mean honestly, there is absolutely no excuse.

+1
dmb
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 10:55AM - in reply to Sprintgeezer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Sprintgeezer wrote:

Look, I was in the testing pool for many years. EVERY SINGLE TIME I was prescribed something to take whether it be orally, topically, nasally, etc. I looked it up on USADAs web site. It is incredibly easy to do. You just type in the drug name and it tells you if it's banned, if you need a TUE, etc. I mean honestly, there is absolutely no excuse.

+1

This bears repeating. There are very few things that are more important to a professional runner, except maybe running. After all the high profile cases in the past few years, I cannot imagine anyone failing to check whether a medication is banned.

Her reputation is tarnished. There's really no way to excuse her for this.
A Duck
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 11:09AM - in reply to dmb Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

dmb wrote:

Sprintgeezer wrote:

+1

This bears repeating. There are very few things that are more important to a professional runner, except maybe running. After all the high profile cases in the past few years, I cannot imagine anyone failing to check whether a medication is banned.

WADA/USADA are pretty tough...this is a warning offense for s reason.

They've done their job.

I know Maggie's last two coaches (by a bit of a fluke, knew one since childhood), and there is just no way they would aid or support her in doping.

NO. WAY.

You haters can give it a rest now, she hasn't been handed down a ban.
Sprintgeezer
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 11:12AM - in reply to A Duck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Please note: I personally never suggested that any of her coaches are complicit in any possible doping.
Nkk
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 5:30PM - in reply to Nappy Roots Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Acne doesn't mean you unhealthy
webby
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 6:11PM - in reply to Nkk Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hold on. There are a million treatments for acne. You're telling me that she has to use a banned diuretic for hers . . . so badly that she is going to apply for a medical exemption to use it?

That's preposterous.
real old guy
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 6:35PM - in reply to webby Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
For crying out loud. You people know nothing of the circumstances, only what USADA released. Are you so damaged and petty that you have to keep speculating and bashing? She blew it, she didn't check the list, she admitted it, she supplied all the documentation and USADA did its job. What you're doing is called "gossip". Unless you know her personally and actually have facts & you were present during the investigation you have nothing but your imaginations. Try to get over yourselves and enjoy the holidays.
funnny
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 6:49PM - in reply to Nappy Roots Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Nappy Roots wrote:

I have another question: How do these extremely fit, healthy athletes have so many medical problems that require prescription medications? It would seem fairly logical to ask how young, healthy, super-elite athletes have so many medical ailments that require multi-faceted interventions.

The sicklier American athletes became, the more they were able to compete with the Africans.
webby
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 6:51PM - in reply to real old guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Honestly, I'd like an explanation of why you apply for an exemption to use an acne medication that contains a banned diuretic instead of using one that doesn't. This is a good place to get explanations like that if they exist.

My apologies for expressing my skepticism and for disrespectful comment earlier. But it's really not gossip. That awful SFH chatter is gossip. This is a question about what strikes me as a very odd public statement in response to finding out that you have violated doping policies: "I would like to continue taking the banned substance."
mcflounder
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 7:04PM - in reply to A Duck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A Duck, you always seem quack in whenever a drug cheat needs an apologist.

A Duck wrote:

dmb wrote:

Sprintgeezer wrote:

+1

WADA/USADA are pretty tough...this is a warning offense for s reason.

They've done their job.

I know Maggie's last two coaches (by a bit of a fluke, knew one since childhood), and there is just no way they would aid or support her in doping.

NO. WAY.

You haters can give it a rest now, she hasn't been handed down a ban.
r2 unit
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/23/2012 7:21PM - in reply to mcflounder Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Look, our top middle distance and distance runners, yes, even our beloved WHITE middle distance and distance runners, are cheating. Acknowledge, move on.
rupp-certified saladbar
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/24/2012 1:25AM - in reply to bannedforstupidity Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

This (among other things) make it extremely obvious that this was not an "honest mistake" but genuine identification of a doper. Embarrassing that she'll face to sanctions.
rupp-certified saladbar
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/24/2012 1:46AM - in reply to R00T Group Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Nappy Roots wrote:

I have another question: How do these extremely fit, healthy athletes have so many medical problems that require prescription medications? It would seem fairly logical to ask how young, healthy, super-elite athletes have so many medical ailments that require multi-faceted interventions.

R00T Group wrote:

Nappy, you make an excellent point. I was surprised by the fact that Galen Rupp overcoming both hypotroidism and asthma wasn't "advertised" at the Olympics.

DING DING DING DING DING!
Skeptic of it All
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/24/2012 1:46AM - in reply to rupp-certified saladbar Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
She dropped her coach for a new one, moved from Santa Cruz and didn't improve the way she was promised from the new coach. She had dreams of Olympians...

"Everyone else is doing it... It's not fair."

Well now we have this.

On a side not I feel asthma is a genetic deficiency that should not be allowed altered. Personally anything in your body is performance enhancing in my opinion. But this stuff is way too close. A top world class athlete doesn't ask a doctor if its legal? And doesn't look it up herself? As one poster said, it doesn't look good.
rupp-certified saladbar
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/24/2012 1:48AM - in reply to mcflounder Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

mcflounder wrote:

A Duck, you always seem quack in whenever a drug cheat needs an apologist.

He does, doesn't he?

Look at his name.

Any further questions? :)
rupp-certified saladbar
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/24/2012 1:50AM - in reply to A Duck Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

A Duck wrote:

NO. WAY.

Good point.

Because no coach with a positive online character reference from an anonymous social acquaintance has ever supported doping.

NO. WAY.
FormerAcneGuy
RE: Maggie Vessey tests positive 12/24/2012 2:07AM - in reply to webby Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

webby wrote:

Honestly, I'd like an explanation of why you apply for an exemption to use an acne medication that contains a banned diuretic instead of using one that doesn't. This is a good place to get explanations like that if they exist.

Especially since 99% of acne medications don't do sh*t anyway and the one that does (Accutane) is banned in the US.

This is not about acne. This is about flushing evidence out of the system and USADA knows this, too.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |