mellow seeds
Tell me about Norfolk, VA 12/18/2012 2:18PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A co-worker sent me an advertisement for a job in Norfolk, VA that looked pretty interesting and something that I would have a good chance at competing for. To be honest, I know very little about Norfolk though. Anyone live there or spend significant time there that can outline the pros/cons?
Mr. Obvious
RE: Tell me about Norfolk, VA 12/18/2012 2:26PM - in reply to mellow seeds Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What do you want to know? It is OK, but there are nicer areas. What kind of job are you looking at? Military related?
random a hole
RE: Tell me about Norfolk, VA 12/18/2012 2:32PM - in reply to mellow seeds Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Your co-worker wants you to leave.
You decide
RE: Tell me about Norfolk, VA 12/18/2012 2:35PM - in reply to random a hole Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
http://www.wnd.com/2012/05/100-blacks-beat-white-couple-media-buries-attack/

Maybe it's unwarranted, but this is ALL I think about when I hear of Norfold, VA.
garland823
RE: Tell me about Norfolk, VA 12/18/2012 2:42PM - in reply to You decide Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

You decide wrote:

http://www.wnd.com/2012/05/100-blacks-beat-white-couple-media-buries-attack/

Maybe it's unwarranted, but this is ALL I think about when I hear of Norfold, VA.

That's a little unwarranted. I'm from about an hour away. Norfolk's ok. If you like the water, it's great. It's also very close to Virginia Beach. Traffic in Hampton Roads is awful though. You don't want to have to cross any of the bridges to get to or from work.
rfefddefdz
RE: Tell me about Norfolk, VA 12/18/2012 2:43PM - in reply to mellow seeds Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Norfolk has absolutely 0 miles of trails. Not sure if that is important to you, but something to take into consideration maybe.
Clipse
RE: Tell me about Norfolk, VA 12/18/2012 2:45PM - in reply to mellow seeds Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
we're from Virginia. there ain't shi* to do but cook.
Tidewater
RE: Tell me about Norfolk, VA 12/18/2012 3:22PM - in reply to You decide Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Norfolk is the pretty nasty. I would live in VA Beach if I could or Suffolk.

I would stay away from Norfolk, the place is GHETTO. Worst kind of ghetto too because the black people there have spunk and attitude you don't usually find in other ghettos.
electromagnetic force
RE: Tell me about Norfolk, VA 12/18/2012 3:57PM - in reply to Tidewater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Living in the West Ghent area and it's nice. Just learning some running routes, but the Elizabeth River Trail is a good starting point for some routes. The local running store has a decently solid group that meets twice a week to run. On weekends a lot of people seem to hit First Landing State Park for longer runs off the roads. Traffic can get bad around the base and tunnels, but if you're off hours or reverse traffic you could possibly be alright. There are some areas I might try to avoid. I have noticed the running club doesn't use the one track in the area for speedwork. Not sure if that's a school policy thing or an area of town thing. The Blocker Y is freaking awesome. That's what I've seen of Norfolk since I've lived here a short period of time.
MeHereYouWhere?!
RE: Tell me about Norfolk, VA 12/18/2012 6:44PM - in reply to electromagnetic force Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I work in downtown Norfolk and my company is hiring for a lot of positions. What was the position? Company?

Norfolk itself is "eh". Like the previous poster said, West Ghent is nice but other than that its lower class to lower middle class almost everywhere. The entire area seems to have "progress is optional" mentality and one where everyone bitches about everything. The tunnel traffic and base traffic is absurd, but nothing ever gets done about it (ie new construction). Norfolk schools are pretty bad if you have kids (yes, even the good ones aren't that good). Pay is usually on the lower end scale due to the amount of military spouses and under-educated people in the area...they drive salaries down.

Not much more to add other than this area truly is a concrete paradise for running (Keep it on the 'crete!) Only "trail" is at First Landing. Weather wise, you don't really have an excuse for not being out running year round, as it doesn't get that cold and it only snows maybe 5" a year on average (maybe?). Summers and the humidity gets tough, but you get used to it pretty quick
Bad Wigins
RE: Tell me about Norfolk, VA 12/18/2012 9:28PM - in reply to mellow seeds Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You're gonna join the navy? Don't do it!