satt
How long until I can run normally again? 12/14/2012 6:25PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I've been struggling with a groin strain for more than a month now. Around two weeks before Thanksgiving, I strained it, and took a week off. I tried running again, and it still hurt, so I took another week off. The week after that, track started, so I ran twice the week before. It seemed to still be getting better, but then I must've hurt it worse during the first couple of practices, because it got worse. I started seeing a physical therapist, and I've had four visits. He's given me strength exercises and stretches to do 2x per day, and also, he's done A.R.T. on the strain. It's improved A LOT, and he told me this weekend I could start running again, albeit slowly. So today, I did a fifteen minute run on the track. It felt maybe 85-90% better. My quad was tight, and especially afterward, the area where the strain was felt a little bit tender and raw. Now, I'm icing it. On Sunday, as long as it feels okay, I'm going to try another ten-fifteen minute run. How long do you think it will take me to get back to be able to run normally again? How should I progress to running longer distances? How will I know when I'm ready?
satt
RE: How long until I can run normally again? 12/14/2012 9:03PM - in reply to satt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
More info: When I do a bridge, and try to lift my leg up to keep it level with my pelvis (an exercise my PT showed me), if I lift up the opposite leg to the one that doesn't hurt, I can feel some pain in the injured leg/groin. However, when I lift the injured leg, I feel no pain. What would be the reason for that?
satt
RE: How long until I can run normally again? 12/15/2012 9:43AM - in reply to satt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
Squats
RE: How long until I can run normally again? 12/15/2012 10:28AM - in reply to satt Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I had a groin strain a few months ago. Wait until the pain has gone down (bike in the meantime to increase blood flow) and then stretch it NOT by isolating the groin, but by squatting down all the way. I focused on lifting for a bit, to correct muscle imbalances, and I noticed that somehow heavy squats made the pain quickly go away.
satt
RE: How long until I can run normally again? 12/15/2012 6:33PM - in reply to Squats Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Squats wrote:

I had a groin strain a few months ago. Wait until the pain has gone down (bike in the meantime to increase blood flow) and then stretch it NOT by isolating the groin, but by squatting down all the way. I focused on lifting for a bit, to correct muscle imbalances, and I noticed that somehow heavy squats made the pain quickly go away.

I don't have pain walking anymore. I only feel it if I move a certain way. When I run, I can feel it, but it isn't particularly painful. I'm seeing my PT again Tuesday, but he said it's okay to run as long as it isn't a sharp pain.

Will I always feel the injury? Or will my leg eventually return to normal?