Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Binge eater
Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/8/2012 1:41PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Been reading some threads about binge eating problems where people bash those who call it a real disorder, saying things like "just suck it up and stop." Let me tell you, it is a true eating disorder and addictive cycle that is very hard to break. It is especially hard for those who have had other food issues in the past. It can really f*** up your running and entire outlook on life. I am a fairly accomplished male runner and have struggled with it before after being overly restrictive with my diet and concerned with weight and after days or weeks of binging I would be so depressed ad hopeless, even suicidal. Know that what you say to people going through this can really make someone's day and help them feel better or could send them off the deep end. Be sensitive and show some respect, you don't know what it's like to be in their shoes. When food, something that is essential for every day life and should be enjoyed, becomes the enemy and constant obsession, every day is a torturous struggle.
Bad Wigins
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/8/2012 5:58PM - in reply to Binge eater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A lot of things are hard to do or hard to deal with. Calling them disorders and addictions just gives people excuses to fail.

It is possible to quit an addiction, but if you encourage people to think they can't, then it's not possible. Then they are doomed to years of therapy and support groups.

That goes for all addictions and "disorders." Psychology is a scam anyhow. Not science, not medicine, just a way to employ people to sell drugs to other people, often forcefully.
Binge eater
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/8/2012 6:17PM - in reply to Bad Wigins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Really? All disorders eh? When you find someone who can just quit schizophrenia or clinical depression, get back to me. Brain chemistry plays an incredibly strong role in decision making, and when one is predisposed to certain traits, they manifest themselves in behaviors and thoughts that are considered disorders. Therapy and medication in some cases are the best and most effective ways to deal with said brain chemistry imbalances
plz clarify
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/8/2012 6:18PM - in reply to Bad Wigins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm curious, when people like runners say they binge it do they have a strong craving for particular foods like sweet carb laden type foods? I'm wondering if endurance athletes are more prone to developing binge eating disorders craving foods high in carbs and sugar. I never really had a sweet tooth until I started running alot.
Binge eater
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/8/2012 6:26PM - in reply to plz clarify Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not sure how it ties in w/ running in particular, I think alot of it may just have to do with personal food preferences. I have always had a major sweet tooth and used to binge on cookies, candy, chocolate, stuff like that. Other people who like salty stuff may use chips or pizza as their drug of choice. And I say drug because its not about the food, it's about the physiological reactions triggered in the brain by binging on that food that function basically the same as the reactions triggered in the brain by addictive chemical use
break it up
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/8/2012 7:31PM - in reply to Binge eater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Binge eating, drug abuse, obsessive exercise, obsessive running, sex addiction are all related to obsessive tendencies that latch on to raising dopamine in the brain. Either due to a genetic deficiency or a learned psychological pattern due to younger life experiences. Eating makes you happy. I look forward all week long for cooking my favorite meal, or going to my favorite restaurant.

There is little difference between the obese chain smoker at Walmart and the "healthy" obsessive distance runner.

They both latch on to a habit that lifts their mood.

If you have these problems exercise is probably your best bet to find an outlet that is not destructive health wise.

Binge eating itself is not a real disorder/affliction. I think it is more a symptom of anxiety.
grrldontsass
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/8/2012 11:36PM - in reply to Binge eater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
"Clinical" depression is diagnosed so god damn easily. After a 20 minute fairly normal session, I was diagnosed with it. And it is easy to 'quit'.
While some issues do persist in people and may not have a solution,
any complete recovery usually comes with a decision on the individual's part. One can be addicted to anything if one does not make the decision to abandon habit.
yes..............
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/8/2012 11:43PM - in reply to Binge eater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thank you for this. This is something I have really struggled with, though most would not be able to tell by looking at me because I am not fat (due to running etc). There are some days I eat so much it just makes me sick. If anyone is interested, we should have a chat room/have meetings and talk about it or something. It's a lot easier to talk about it with runners because we have similar lifestyles.
Bad Wigins
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/9/2012 4:48AM - in reply to Binge eater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Binge eater wrote:

Really? All disorders eh? When you find someone who can just quit schizophrenia or clinical depression, get back to me. Brain chemistry plays an incredibly strong role in decision making, and when one is predisposed to certain traits, they manifest themselves in behaviors and thoughts that are considered disorders. Therapy and medication in some cases are the best and most effective ways to deal with said brain chemistry imbalances

Like I said, you've been scammed, buddy. You're a slave to "brain chemistry" and until you free yourself, you'll never get anywhere. Your mind is not your brain. It's not even in your brain. It's in your whole body.

I think I mentioned it before, but psychology is neither science nor medicine. Psychologists have no idea what causes "schizophrenia" or makes people crazy. They invent "disorders" to make money. It's big business, and you're their favorite kind of customer, the kind who wants to be helpless and defends their right to exploit you.

If you want to stop binge eating, take responsibility for yourself. If you'd rather believe you're crazy, take your drugs and therapy and quit whining.
Get it Gurl
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/9/2012 7:25AM - in reply to Bad Wigins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Lol, you're crazy buddy.
i feel you bro
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/9/2012 10:58AM - in reply to Binge eater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Call it what you want, it's a bitch to deal with and can ruin your life if it goes on long enough.

It sneaks up on you, too. The minute you start to become "health conscious" or start paying close attention to your eating habits in any way, you're at risk. Once you get into that mindset you can never look at food the same way again.
Explainer to the Morons
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/9/2012 11:03AM - in reply to i feel you bro Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Depends what you are eating. What I have been eating lately, no need to binge or purge. If you know what I mean
Ho Hum
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/9/2012 11:11AM - in reply to Bad Wigins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Bad Wigins wrote:

Like I said, you've been scammed, buddy. You're a slave to "brain chemistry" and until you free yourself, you'll never get anywhere. Your mind is not your brain. It's not even in your brain. It's in your whole body.

I think I mentioned it before, but psychology is neither science nor medicine. Psychologists have no idea what causes "schizophrenia" or makes people crazy. They invent "disorders" to make money. It's big business, and you're their favorite kind of customer, the kind who wants to be helpless and defends their right to exploit you.

If you want to stop binge eating, take responsibility for yourself. If you'd rather believe you're crazy, take your drugs and therapy and quit whining.

Will they add Compulsive Trolling Disorder to DSM VI?
binge eating
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/9/2012 12:33PM - in reply to i feel you bro Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Exactly. I would give anything to go back to the days where I didn't give a second thought to what I ate. Sure, my diet wasn't "clean" or perfectly balanced, but it was pretty healthy and didn't bother me. The minute I started making a conscious effort to eat healthier, everything started to go down the tubes. Don't think I will ever have that easygoing relationship with food again. I will always be overthinking it more than a normal person, whether I am eating really healthy or eating crap. Food is a bad obsession to have on either end of the spectrum, it really takes control of your life. From the first time you restrict your diet at all, everything changes. At least for me
Sword of Alajaszhared
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/9/2012 12:40PM - in reply to Binge eater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I consider anyone who binge eats a lower-level human who is sort of...pathetic. Deep down you know I'm right.
Binge eater
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/9/2012 1:26PM - in reply to Sword of Alajaszhared Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Even for a troll, seriously, take it easy. You can really mess with people who are already in a fragile state.
teatae
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/9/2012 1:42PM - in reply to Bad Wigins Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Bad Wigins wrote:

The whole point is it's out of their control. People with any kind of disorder don't want to be that way. If they knew how to stop they could. It's all about what's practical. 1. Person A wants to stop doing something but can't. 2. Person B says "take responsibility for yourself", Person A still can't stop doing thing. 3. Person A takes drugs/therapy/has supportive people in his life, Person A's quality of life improves.

Ignorant people who think step 2 works undermine the success of step 3.
seekouthelpseriously
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/9/2012 2:38PM - in reply to Binge eater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
go get therapy. Seriously. Swallow your pride and do it. It will help you get past this, at least stop it from controlling your life. It IS an eating disorder and you've got to treat it like such and get help. Speaking from experience here.
binge eater
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/9/2012 3:41PM - in reply to seekouthelpseriously Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am seeing a therapist and nutritionist at my school. It helps to just talk about it and I'm hoping to get to the root of the problem and figure out how to get over it as soon as possible without gaining too much weight or having my life fall apart completely such as dropping out of school or quitting running completely or something. If you don't mind, how did you beat/cope with this disorder?
. . .
RE: Binge eating is a real disorder/addiction 12/9/2012 3:50PM - in reply to binge eater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
try some real drugs. get off the food man.

stop worrying so much about your weight.

most importantly, you need a good woman to put it in perspective.

good luck.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |