mellorunner
What Sort of Times... 12/8/2012 1:41PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Can anyone on here help me figure out what some reasonable spring track goals might be for this upcoming season? I'm just getting back into my base training after XC and am looking to realign myself for track, but am at a bit of a loss when I try to figure out exactly what times I should be aiming for.

My PR's are...

8K XC - 26:27 (September, 2012)
5000m Track - 16:05 (April, 2012)
1500m Track - 4:23 (April, 2012)
800m Track - 2:18 (April, 2012)

I'm mostly focused on the 5000, but will probably end up running at least one 800 and one 1500 sometime during the season. Yes, I know that I'm slow, and I know that my 800 PR is slower than slow.

I'm a college junior, ran about 85-90mpw during most of XC. This winter will be a base period of somewhere between 90-100mpw with a weekly long run, strides 2-3 times a week, with some hill work or speed maintenance work on alternating weeks. A weekly tempo segment will be added in sometime during late January or February. During march the training will shift to include more AT paced worked before transitioning again to V02 work near the end of the season.

With all of that said, I'm not really looking for advice on my training. It's my coaches plan and I'm going to follow it because it's given me plenty of success so far. I'm just looking for people to throw some numbers at me so I have something to focus on as I train this winter.

Thanks.
Up n' coming
RE: What Sort of Times... 12/8/2012 2:07PM - in reply to mellorunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You are definitely distance oriented. Skip the 800 and 1500 and try 5k-10k. Where do you go to school an what are your workouts like?
mellorunner
RE: What Sort of Times... 12/8/2012 5:41PM - in reply to Up n' coming Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Up n' coming wrote:

You are definitely distance oriented. Skip the 800 and 1500 and try 5k-10k. Where do you go to school an what are your workouts like?

I wish I could try a 10k this season, but it doesn't fit with the long term "plan" for my next few years. I go to a small DII college in upstate NY, not a school of note as far as most Letsrunners would be concerned.

Typical workouts right now include...

60-75 minute runs averaging about 7min/mile, with a slower start and negative splitting down to around 6:40.

Morning runs 4-5 days a week, usually about 4 miles fairly easy.

Long run (~17 miles), again averaging about 7min/mile.

That's all the fairly easy bread and butter stuff.

Past AT workouts might be something like 8x1000 and 5-6x1500.

Speed maintenance workouts are some combination of 200s, 300s, and 400s, usually totaling about a mile worth of work, with full recovery between repeats. Pace is between 800m and 1500m pace. The schedule also includes strides 2-3 times a week. For speed development there are usually a handful of 60m sprints at max effort once a week.
Up n' coming
RE: What Sort of Times... 12/8/2012 5:56PM - in reply to mellorunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was just wondering because I run for a small yet relatively successful D3 school in the Midwest and have similar pr's as you. Our training is quite similar except out coach prefers a little less mileage all in singles rather than more mileage with the morning runs, especially in season
mellorunner
RE: What Sort of Times... 12/8/2012 6:14PM - in reply to Up n' coming Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Up n' coming wrote:

I was just wondering because I run for a small yet relatively successful D3 school in the Midwest and have similar pr's as you. Our training is quite similar except out coach prefers a little less mileage all in singles rather than more mileage with the morning runs, especially in season

Ah, alright. I have a love/hate relationship with the doubles. It's nice not to be finishing the main run at 6:45 or something, but waking up early isn't the greatest.

If I may ask, what were you're HS PRs like?
Binge eater
RE: What Sort of Times... 12/8/2012 6:23PM - in reply to mellorunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I wasn't great in high school but have really responded well to the higher mileage in college and less focus on intense workouts several times a week. I'm not a huge mileage guy but 70 mpw is a sweet spot for me at this point. My HS pr's were

800: 2:06
1600: 4:41
3200: 9:56
5k: 16:40
mellorunner
RE: What Sort of Times... 12/8/2012 6:25PM - in reply to Binge eater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well, you HS you makes HS me look like a chump...

800 - 2:20
1600 - 5:00
3200 - 10:45
5000 - 18:20

It's the same thing for me though, mileage has made all the difference.
Binge eater
RE: What Sort of Times... 12/8/2012 6:29PM - in reply to mellorunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I meant my current 8k and 5k pr's are similar. Your 5k is faster actually. Have you ever raced beyond 8k, in a road race maybe? I would be interested as to how you would do in a half marathon
mellorunner
RE: What Sort of Times... 12/8/2012 6:43PM - in reply to Binge eater Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
8K is the longest I've raced. I've done some hard long runs though, including a 37:35 split for 6.5 miles at the end of an 18.5 mile run before. I plan on trying a track 10000 next outdoor season, but I probably won't do a HM until after graduation.

What about you, have you raced longer than 8k?
mellorunner
RE: What Sort of Times... 12/8/2012 10:43PM - in reply to mellorunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
So, does anyone else have any input?
mellorunner
RE: What Sort of Times... 12/9/2012 11:02AM - in reply to mellorunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump bump bump