akilleez
Get my achilles to 100% as quickly as possible 12/8/2012 11:56AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Two weeks ago my achilles (not really the tendon itself, but right where it connects to the heel) got pretty sore - too painful to run on so I took a week off (either not running or jogging 2 miles). I thought I would be good to go this week since the pain went away very quickly, and slowly got back up to a few 8 milers but even though I'm not in pain I can still feel it's not right. I'm hoping to have a decent indoor season and I can't afford to miss a ton of training.

Right now I'm just taking anti-inflammatory (ibuprofin), icing, and doing some strengthening stuff. Should I do something else? Take a whole week of no running? Anything.

Thanks
xcrunner52
RE: Get my achilles to 100% as quickly as possible 12/8/2012 12:42PM - in reply to akilleez Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
bump
Kiolop
RE: Get my achilles to 100% as quickly as possible 12/8/2012 12:46PM - in reply to akilleez Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Graston.
more than you think
RE: Get my achilles to 100% as quickly as possible 12/8/2012 12:50PM - in reply to akilleez Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
By "some strengthening stuff", do you mean weighted, eccentric heel drops on flat ground?

If you aren't doing those, you should.
akilleez
RE: Get my achilles to 100% as quickly as possible 12/8/2012 9:16PM - in reply to more than you think Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Calf raises is what I'm doing. What do you mean by 'eccentric heel drops on flat ground'? I don't see being able to do heel drops on level ground as possible since I consider heel drops to be lowering the heel below level ground and essentially doing calf raises. Plus extending the achilles seem to aggravate it (as does strenuous work like hills or anything more than mid-foot striking - which is anything faster than jogging for me).

Thanks for the advice. Probably going to schedule a PT in the next few days.