Angry, Off-Topic and Plastered
Why did they ever move Foot Locker Nationals to Florida? 12/8/2012 9:32AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I guess it was during the Ritz/Webb years that FL Nats were moved from Balboa Park to Florida for a few years.

WHY in HELL was this done? Having a major cross cauntry race at Disney World is like having the Stanley Cup Finals at an outdoor rink in Qatar or a PGA event in Antarctica. Makes me want to get drunk and irate just thinking about this
H0wl
RE: Why did they ever move Foot Locker Nationals to Florida? 12/8/2012 9:37AM - in reply to Angry, Off-Topic and Plastered Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
They moved it back because Ritz ran so fast you fools on letsrun thought it was impossible. Ritz went on to be the AR holder over 5000m, so guess it wasn't impossible. Ritz would have the CR at Balboa Park, hands-down.
RE: Why did they ever move Foot Locker Nationals to Florida? 12/8/2012 9:40AM - in reply to H0wl Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Why was it mooved in the first place? Does Foot Locker have corporate tied to Orlando? I am gonna look this stuff up on Wiki Pedia before Ibecome too intox icated to continue
rational champ
RE: Why did they ever move Foot Locker Nationals to Florida? 12/8/2012 10:02AM - in reply to Angry, Off-Topic and Plastered Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It was two years before Ritz won his title. Abdirizak Mohamud won the first year, then Torres finally won his title (after being there for 4 years). Ritz was a sophomore the year Torres won, where his teammate Jason Hartmann was like 5th and he was 9th or something. Then Ritz won twice, and another MI runner, Tim Moore won the last year in Orlando.

It's a shame because I think we really had a chance for the Balboa record to go down with Ritz. His senior year he was coming off his 14:10 5K at the MI state meet (where went 4:24-4:34-4:40, beating Moore by :55), a 14:35 on the challenging Kenosha FL Midwest course (where he broke his own 14:55 record from the year before).

For comparison's sake, we can use Solinsky's senior season (which was much like the senior season Ritz had). He went 14:47 at Kenosha and 14:41 at Balboa. In fact, most previous FL champions from the Midwest region run faster at Balboa: Scott Fry, Bob Kennedy, Brian Grosso, Adam Goucher, Abdul Alzindani, Chris Solinsky, Michael Fout. Ritz would have put the record right around 14:30 I tell ya.
RE: Why did they ever move Foot Locker Nationals to Florida? 12/8/2012 10:15AM - in reply to rational champ Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

rational champ wrote:

It was two years before Ritz won his title. Abdirizak Mohamud won the first year, then Torres finally won his title (after being there for 4 years). Ritz was a sophomore the year Torres won, where his teammate Jason Hartmann was like 5th and he was 9th or something. Then Ritz won twice, and another MI runner, Tim Moore won the last year in Orlando.

It's a shame because I think we really had a chance for the Balboa record to go down with Ritz. His senior year he was coming off his 14:10 5K at the MI state meet (where went 4:24-4:34-4:40, beating Moore by :55), a 14:35 on the challenging Kenosha FL Midwest course (where he broke his own 14:55 record from the year before).

For comparison's sake, we can use Solinsky's senior season (which was much like the senior season Ritz had). He went 14:47 at Kenosha and 14:41 at Balboa. In fact, most previous FL champions from the Midwest region run faster at Balboa: Scott Fry, Bob Kennedy, Brian Grosso, Adam Goucher, Abdul Alzindani, Chris Solinsky, Michael Fout. Ritz would have put the record right around 14:30 I tell ya.

Thanks! I can't argue with ANY of this...and that is rare indeed.

Christ how drunk can one get at 10 in the morning. I think the live stream of FL is presently grabage but it might jsut be my failing vison.
break it up
RE: Why did they ever move Foot Locker Nationals to Florida? 12/8/2012 11:59AM - in reply to Angry, Off-Topic and Plastered Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The 1982 Kinney Championships were in Orlando and Eric Reynolds ran 14:35 on that fast course.
mcgato
RE: Why did they ever move Foot Locker Nationals to Florida? 12/8/2012 12:11PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Angry, Off-Topic and Plastered wrote:
What when Fry was like 9 yares old, LOL.
No, when Fry false started and was DQed.

Footlocker moved to Orlando because Disney put up enough money for them to move. That was the time period that Disney was paying to move any youth or high school event there, hoping that families and friends would come in and spend enough money for them to make a profit.

I'm guessing other events were more lucrative, so Disney gave up on Footlocker after a few years. Probably more money in getting a few hundred cheerleaders, than in 64 XC runners.
pre841
RE: Why did they ever move Foot Locker Nationals to Florida? 12/8/2012 12:21PM - in reply to mcgato Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

mcgato wrote:

Footlocker moved to Orlando because Disney put up enough money for them to move. That was the time period that Disney was paying to move any youth or high school event there, hoping that families and friends would come in and spend enough money for them to make a profit.

I'm guessing other events were more lucrative, so Disney gave up on Footlocker after a few years. Probably more money in getting a few hundred cheerleaders, than in 64 XC runners.

I think I remember that Brooks Johnson was behind the move as well.