Hawkrunner
Debbie Heald article in RW 11/27/2012 12:49PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ok, letsrun folks don't read RW, but I suggest you read this article about Debbie Heald and what became of her life since she set the US record at the mile as a 16 year old. Very interesting and sad what became of her life. Wish her healthy and happiness for her future.
scootttyyy
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 11/27/2012 1:16PM - in reply to Hawkrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What is very interesting and sad that became of her life?
Hawkrunner
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 11/28/2012 2:21PM - in reply to scootttyyy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
She was possibly the greatest US female distance prodigy.
When she was a kid her father committed suicide on her birthday.
Many injuries that ruined her career.
Possible abuse by adult.
Mental illness (hearing voices)

It's just sad. I think she is very brave to come forward and have RW write the article.
Avocado's Number
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 11/28/2012 4:25PM - in reply to Hawkrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I agree. Running magazines are filled with uninteresting fluff pieces. This article is different, and well worth reading.
runn
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 11/28/2012 5:44PM - in reply to Hawkrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It is sad. Great runner and a tragic life.
High Wire
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 11/28/2012 7:04PM - in reply to Hawkrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Surprising that no one has linked "the" race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrvJ2bsFduY
Avocado's Number
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 11/28/2012 7:41PM - in reply to High Wire Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wow! Thanks for that. Terrific race on a 160-yard board track. Knowing some of what she's been through in her life, it's kind of sad to see the interview afterwards.
the clarifier
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 11/29/2012 2:27AM - in reply to High Wire Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Haven't watched that one for a while. Loved the sound of the boards along the way.

Article is well-worth reading.
LetsRun.com
your benevolent dictator
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 12/15/2012 11:26AM - in reply to the clarifier Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The article is now up online.

It's a pretty remarkable article on a pretty remarkable story:

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/debbie-heald-set-important-record

I'm going to feature it and her story all over the site tmw.
RuKiddingMe!!!
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 12/16/2012 12:17AM - in reply to Hawkrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
great read, wish there were more pics.....
another great RW story
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 12/16/2012 12:48AM - in reply to RuKiddingMe!!! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Congrats to letsdope for finding out about this a month and a half after the magazine came out.

Does anybody else see the striking parallel to Gerry Lindgren?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1338&dat=19640629&id=DVZYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=lPcDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7387,6922887

http://runningentertainment.com/runningshots21.html
electromagnetic force
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 12/16/2012 6:41AM - in reply to another great RW story Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Did adidas ever pony up a pair of shoes for the girl? If not, give the lady a pair now for christ sake.
Bring Back the Mile
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 12/16/2012 11:18AM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Debbie's RW story will make you laugh and cry and cry and laugh. And the stirring race video - wow - two kicks; beyond incredible.
ran on the boards
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 12/16/2012 3:00PM - in reply to Bring Back the Mile Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Bring Back the Mile wrote:

Debbie's RW story will make you laugh and cry and cry and laugh. And the stirring race video - wow - two kicks; beyond incredible.

That race was great for two reasons. You usually don't see that many passes among the front runners during a race and the race was more exciting because of there only being 4 runners. A lot of races now are clogged up with 15 runners when everybody knows only 1 or 2 have a chance to win and it is usually just set up to try and break a record.
abreu
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 12/16/2012 4:07PM - in reply to Hawkrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Amazing article, incredible race. Thank you very much!
RuKiddingME!!!
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 12/16/2012 4:29PM - in reply to abreu Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thanks for providing story, amazing run for a 16 yr old, states she beat Mary Decker to qualify to run that race (USSR vs USA)
Nowiknow
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 12/17/2012 12:28PM - in reply to RuKiddingME!!! Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Amazing! Sad to read the struggles though! Makes me thankful I can run but also realize it is not life! It is disturbing horrible people can ruin precious, young, talented lives! Protect your children! Roy sounds like an incredible human though and happy she had him!
John C.
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 1/26/2013 10:13PM - in reply to Hawkrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hi Folks: I posted in the thread about Debbie Heald NOT having a wikipedia article. But the thread apparently got deleted for some odd reason, so am posting here. I agree with some of you that Debbie Heald is noteworthy-enough per wikipedia criteria. And now that her 41 year old record has finally been broken, it might be nice to get up a simple wikipedia page for her. I went ahead and started one. Since I have only done a few wiki pages over the years, I am not that sharp at it. I would appreciate it if you can share this link with any wikipedia editors who may be interested in picking it up from here and completing the page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Articles_for_creation/Debbie_Heald

Cheers.
Cainnnnnnn
RE: Debbie Heald article in RW 1/26/2013 10:42PM - in reply to John C. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Cahttp://www.letsrun.com/forum/TOS.phpin broke the record on January 26, 2013. Not 2012.