Pages: | 1 | 2 |
upstate_NYer
Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/13/2012 7:50PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
According to news reports Joseph Kimani, who set a world road best at the '96 Peachtree and who atill holds the Boilermaker 15k course record at 42:40 from the same year died Nov 1st in Kenya from pneumonia. One of the most fluid running forms I've ever seen. He made his 42:40 look like a walk in the park.
Kapcherop
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/13/2012 8:26PM - in reply to upstate_NYer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Very sad news! It could be someone else by the same names. Do you have nay link?
elton
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/13/2012 8:35PM - in reply to Kapcherop Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Tommy2Nuttz
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/13/2012 8:43PM - in reply to upstate_NYer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He was a beast on the roads...RIP Kimani.
J.R.
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/13/2012 8:52PM - in reply to elton Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sad
luv2run
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/13/2012 9:18PM - in reply to upstate_NYer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

upstate_NYer wrote:

According to news reports Joseph Kimani, who set a world road best at the '96 Peachtree and who atill holds the Boilermaker 15k course record at 42:40 from the same year died Nov 1st in Kenya from pneumonia. One of the most fluid running forms I've ever seen. He made his 42:40 look like a walk in the park.

I was working the medical tent at Peachtree that day. it was unseasonably cool. Heard a roar from the park and wonder "what the heck?" since it did seem like anyone could be at the park that fast. Yet, he had.

As I was leaving the park, ran into him. Congratulated him and he thanked me (in broken English for sure). I was amazed when I realized that he had not made the Kenyan Olympic team.
upstate_NYer
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 1:11AM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It underscores the conditions and hardships that people in less developed countries face. If I got pneumonia I would go to the hospital, be treated and go home. Unfortunately not everyone has that same luxury, not even some of the fastest runners in history. I can not imagine what it must be like to run Peachtree in 27 minutes. I can imagine what it's like to be 41 years old. I am - and if given the choice between living running 27 flat or making it to 41, I'll take the latter.
LetsRun.com
your benevolent dictator
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 9:46AM - in reply to elton Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is sad, sad news. Kimani was a star.

Several posts on this thread have been deleted as we'd like to keep this thread focused on Kimani and his unfortunate passing.

Talks about Obama care belong on another thread. Posts about how lucky people in the developed world are are fine but please don't turn the passing of a Kenyan runner into an opportunity to discuss the US healthcare system.
Dr. Pepper
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 10:53AM - in reply to LetsRun.com Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
4:01 last mile at Peachtree in 1996. Yes, unseasonably cool that day, but still unbelievable.
Kimani fan
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 11:09AM - in reply to Dr. Pepper Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hell he ran 27:52 on a cool day at Bolder Boulder 10K at altitude in 1995. That is a hilly course and the best road 10K mark ever, altitude converted. Better than his Peachtree mark.
rojo
co-founder
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 12:53PM - in reply to Kimani fan Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Kimani fan wrote:

Hell he ran 27:52 on a cool day at Bolder Boulder 10K at altitude in 1995. That is a hilly course and the best road 10K mark ever, altitude converted. Better than his Peachtree mark.


According to the NCAA program, that would be equivalent to a 26:54.58 in Boulder if a college athlete ran it.

Pretty darn good, but altitude conversions in my book vary so much depending on the person.

I'd argue a 27:04 in Atlanta on July 4th is better. I looked it up - the low that day was 61 and high was 97.

Regardless, you are thinking of someone else and have the time wrong. The winner of the 1995 Bolder Boulder race in 27:52 was Kenya's Josephat Machuka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolder_Boulder
Nice moderating
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 1:50PM - in reply to upstate_NYer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am loving that the moderators are keeping this on track (or should I say on road).

I don't have the words to adequately express Kiamani's exceptional running skill and talent. His fluidity was that of a perfect dream....
KMB
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 1:59PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

rojo wrote:

I'd argue a 27:04 in Atlanta on July 4th is better. I looked it up - the low that day was 61 and high was 97.


A 27:04 on a net downhill course in a drizzle (the high and low temps alone that day don't accurately describe the conditions for the race itself that day; at 7 a.m. do you think it was closer to 61 or to 97 degrees?) is better than a 27:52 at over a mile above sea level on a rolling course that gains about 75' from start to finish? Maybe if Kimani had been wearing chain mail.

Granted, the Peachtree course loses 300' before gaining about 200', so it's not like it's an easy PR. But on cool days, people run fast there, the problem being that Atlanta is virtually always hot and humid in July.

Both performances are fantastic, but only Machuka's is otherworldly.

http://media.bolderboulder.com/Elevation%20Map.pdf

http://www.peachtreeroadrace.org/documents/download/2012ajcprrmediaguide (See page 35)
Daily Double
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 4:31PM - in reply to KMB Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Amazing runner--rip. Saw him Tear up the track in Mass. He was running repeat 800's at 2:00 like they were nothing--saw him run 4-5 that day outside of Boston.

Never seen anything like that since.
..
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 4:34PM - in reply to upstate_NYer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Totally lanced.
TrackCoach
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 4:36PM - in reply to KMB Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
2 thoughts:

Kimani kind of began the process of Kenyan taking to the roads when they could have been equally as successful on the track. To put in perpective how good Kimani was, in any road race, winning was just a matter of showing up.

I would bet that 50% of successful Kenyan male athletes die in their 40s for a variety of reasons, but the first one that comes to mind is the fact that a lot of them become unhealthy and heavy drinkers once the retire. Most of these guys don't run another step that does not involve a paycheck.
Bobbi C
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 6:19PM - in reply to TrackCoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Honestly curious... Early 40s death of Pneumonia & Kenyan - could it have been HIV/AIDS related. Many don't believe in safe-relations and promiscuity is extremely high. I've often wondered if some of the great ones that disappeared off the map had ever become viral and succumbed.

It is a shame regardless.
Lydiard is God
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 6:28PM - in reply to Bobbi C Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Bobbi C wrote:

Honestly curious... Early 40s death of Pneumonia & Kenyan - could it have been HIV/AIDS related. Many don't believe in safe-relations and promiscuity is extremely high. I've often wondered if some of the great ones that disappeared off the map had ever become viral and succumbed.

It is a shame regardless.


My thoughts exactly. Incredible rates of HIV in both sexes. PCP or TB could have been the cause.

Also, interesting that these stellar, 'unbelievable', performances came at the height of the EPO era.
Kimani fan
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 6:29PM - in reply to rojo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thank you for the correction. BB is a better effort though.


rojo wrote:


Kimani fan wrote:

Hell he ran 27:52 on a cool day at Bolder Boulder 10K at altitude in 1995. That is a hilly course and the best road 10K mark ever, altitude converted. Better than his Peachtree mark.


According to the NCAA program, that would be equivalent to a 26:54.58 in Boulder if a college athlete ran it.

Pretty darn good, but altitude conversions in my book vary so much depending on the person.

I'd argue a 27:04 in Atlanta on July 4th is better. I looked it up - the low that day was 61 and high was 97.

Regardless, you are thinking of someone else and have the time wrong. The winner of the 1995 Bolder Boulder race in 27:52 was Kenya's Josephat Machuka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolder_Boulder
J.R.
RE: Joseph Kimani dead at 40 11/14/2012 8:03PM - in reply to TrackCoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

TrackCoach wrote:

I would bet that 50% of successful Kenyan male athletes die in their 40s for a variety of reasons, but the first one that comes to mind is the fact that a lot of them become unhealthy and heavy drinkers once the retire. Most of these guys don't run another step that does not involve a paycheck.


Thank you for that explanation.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |