runningmyfirsthalf
Having a cold the night before my first half marathon 10/6/2012 8:12PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hello everyone, I have lost 80 lbs since January (285-205) and in the process have found a love for running. I told myself when I started the year I wanted to run a half marathon one day and finish. I started running 5 miles a week in January and things have been awesome since then. I've stayed injury free. I've improved a TON. I started in January with a 32 minute 5k and ran a 22:42 5k last Sunday. I have my first half marathon tomorrow and I have a cold!!! I'm very upset but still have high hopes to break 2 hours and possibly dip under 1:55. Does anybody have any cold remedies to put me in top shape for tomorrow, or at least be able to breathe normally?! This sucks, I've worked so hard for 9 months to have this happen to me. Also if I ran a 22:42 5k and 4.5 miles in 33:40 Wednesday night, what would you predict my HM time to be? Am I underestimating my fitness? What's a good morning breakfast. The race is at 7:30AM and it's supposed to be 38 degrees. YUCK!!!
DanTheMastersMan
RE: Having a cold the night before my first half marathon 10/6/2012 8:22PM - in reply to runningmyfirsthalf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Cold-fx...or copius amounts of ginseng.

But I wouldn't worry too much...the half isn't all that taxing on the cardiovascular system.

Congrats on the weight loss and good luck tomorrow. 38 degrees is nearly ideal! Don't overdress.
Stephen J Bartowski
RE: Having a cold the night before my first half marathon 10/6/2012 8:25PM - in reply to runningmyfirsthalf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
An equivalent performance would be in the 1:46 range per this calculator. (Assuming sufficient trainging etc)
http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

Go luck with the cold, get off the net and go to bed. In terms of other remedies I have heard of the decongesting powers of hot peppers but have never tried that route myself. Maybe just some coffee or other caffeine to open up your chest in the morning.

Good luck, have fun. I predict you set a PR. And remember there will be races on other days but sometimes when you feel bad beforehand the race goes well once you get going.
runningmyfirsthalf
RE: Having a cold the night before my first half marathon 10/6/2012 9:14PM - in reply to Stephen J Bartowski Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This is my first half marathon ever. So it's going to be a PR lol. I just started running 9 months ago. Thanks guys, good night. I did some Nasal Spray and drank a cup of hot tea. Hopefully I wake up and feel great.
?
RE: Having a cold the night before my first half marathon 10/6/2012 9:18PM - in reply to runningmyfirsthalf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If this is a serious post, I'm impressed that someone could run a 32 min 5k at 285 with no training.
Hobo w/shotgun
RE: Having a cold the night before my first half marathon 10/6/2012 11:30PM - in reply to runningmyfirsthalf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
38 degrees is great. Wear some cheap gloves you can ditch, a beanie and a long sleeved shirt you will be fine.
runningmyfirsthalf
RE: Having a cold the night before my first half marathon 10/7/2012 12:48PM - in reply to Hobo w/shotgun Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks guys, today was an awesome day. I'm pretty sure I was top 15 (very very very small marathon, 150 runners in the half?) in 1:43:22. Not too shabby for my first half. Just gotta keep training and getting faster. Not to mention, stay healthy. My cold was practically gone this morning. Maybe spit to the side 4-5 times during the race.
His neighbour
RE: Having a cold the night before my first half marathon 10/7/2012 3:28PM - in reply to ? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
To the original poster - brilliant run under the circumstances, well done, and I hope you enjoyed the day. this virus is a shocker, I was off work 4 days with it.

To the rest, yes, his times are real, as is the weight loss. This man has been determined, methodical and consistent and there is a lot more to come!
Stephen J Bartowski
RE: Having a cold the night before my first half marathon 10/7/2012 7:49PM - in reply to runningmyfirsthalf Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Congrats on the run! PR too! (I felt pretty safe with that prediction with it being you first half) Sounds like you have made some great progress this past year and caught the running bug. Listen to your body and enjoy the progress and road!