Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Ute guy
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/14/2012 5:10PM - in reply to short harriered Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

short harriered wrote:

Josh L. wrote:

http://www.findmymarathon.com has things called PR (Personal Record, I think) and Course Scores that rank how fast courses are. There are scores for a lot (not all) marathons in the US there.

Pretty cool site.

Some of those downhill marathons can punish you though. It seems like they are cropping up everywhere these days.

I live in Utah and we're growing downhill marathons like weeds. I think race directors are trying to make St. George look up hill.
ARM.
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/14/2012 6:10PM - in reply to Ute guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I was on vacation a few summers ago and ran the bryce canyon 1/2M - almost all downhill - after 5 miles of steep down, it was rough. So much pounding. Felt like I ran an entire mararthon by the end.
cenotaph
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/14/2012 8:14PM - in reply to earnest Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

earnest wrote:

2:26 guy wrote:

Chicago, Cal International, Steamtown, any others?

You trying to qualify for OTs? If so, I'd go with one of the majors so you at least have someone around you. Time trialing, at least for me, is difficult in a marathon. Plus, you'll know there will be few surprises with course and race management.

plus for 2012 significantly downhill courses were not eligible
scotticus
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 8:25AM - in reply to cenotaph Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cenotaph wrote:

earnest wrote:

You trying to qualify for OTs? If so, I'd go with one of the majors so you at least have someone around you. Time trialing, at least for me, is difficult in a marathon. Plus, you'll know there will be few surprises with course and race management.

Were all the downhill ones like Steamtown or St. George ineligible or was it the "falling off the cliff" types only?

How did they draw the line?
cenotaph
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 10:35AM - in reply to scotticus Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

scotticus wrote:

cenotaph wrote:

earnest wrote:

Were all the downhill ones like Steamtown or St. George ineligible or was it the "falling off the cliff" types only?

How did they draw the line?

st george definitely ineligible. pretty sure steamtown too. their criteria was the course had to be <4.25m/km to count. for reference (and the reason 4.25 is the cutoff) boston iirc is 4.23m/km
That's hippy talk
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 10:41AM - in reply to cenotaph Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What about Bay State?
HRE
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 10:56AM - in reply to o rlly? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

o rlly? wrote:

Really? And what state is Berlin in exactly?

New Hampshire. But I didn't know there was a marathon there.
stats rock
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 11:36AM - in reply to Josh L. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Josh L. wrote:

http://www.findmymarathon.com has things called PR (Personal Record, I think) and Course Scores that rank how fast courses are. There are scores for a lot (not all) marathons in the US there.

Why are you going to that site when you've got Marathonguide.com? They're the most comprehensive website for anything and everything about the marathon. Here's their page for Biggest and Best Boston Qualifiers, with 10 years of data.

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/BostonMarathonQualifyingRaces.cfm

There's also ARRS, with their race time bias for elite performances.

http://www.arrs.net/TB_Mara.htm
Tucson Vet
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 1:15PM - in reply to LeadvilleNative Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

LeadvilleNative wrote:

Tucson is also fast-in my mind faster than St. George, though there are some intangibles. Tucson has a more consistent downhill-St George has a 7 or 8 mile flat/uphill section from about mile 6-and a steeper down second half. Tucson has a 2 mile flat/uphill at mile 12-but other than that, it's 2-3% downhill the whole way. No lottery to get in, smaller field. Nicer city. Easier travel/more hotels. Better Mexican Food. I had a tailwind and PRd by 16 minutes.

I'd have to disagree. I've run both St. George and Tucson several times each, and I've always done far better at St. George. St. George is also a much better run race. Pam Reed, on the other hand, is one of the worst race directors ever, to the point where I will never run Tucson again.
sydney
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 1:56PM - in reply to stats rock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

stats rock wrote:

Josh L. wrote:

Why are you going to that site when you've got Marathonguide.com? They're the most comprehensive website for anything and everything about the marathon. Here's their page for Biggest and Best Boston Qualifiers, with 10 years of data.

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/BostonMarathonQualifyingRaces.cfm

There's also ARRS, with their race time bias for elite performances.

http://www.arrs.net/TB_Mara.htm

yeah. marthonguide used to be good when it first started. the reviews were helpful, but now they're junk. unless of course you are interested in hearing people complain about the size of the medal or that there wasn't their favorite donut at the finish line.
0bamao
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 2:20PM - in reply to o rlly? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

o rlly? wrote:

Really? And what state is Berlin in exactly?

It's in one of the 7 new states created in 2008 during voter redistricting:

Afghanistan
Egypt
France
Germany
Libya
Pakistan
Puerto Rico
Scrantonicity
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 5:14PM - in reply to cenotaph Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know of one instance of someone qualifying with their performance at Steamtown.
Xplainer
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 5:27PM - in reply to cenotaph Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

cenotaph wrote:

earnest wrote:

-----
^
This is the correct answer. STOP with these down hill races; STOP!!! You prove nothing & no one cares about your race down a significant grade.
madder max
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 5:34PM - in reply to Xplainer Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Xplainer wrote:

cenotaph wrote:

earnest wrote:

-----
^
This is the correct answer. STOP with these down hill races; STOP!!! You prove nothing & no one cares about your race down a significant grade.

What about down an insignificant grade?
Multiple Chambana Finisher
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 6:16PM - in reply to college kid Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Forget about how boring the U of I course is - a fast course also has to do with how many turns are required. Illinois has many odd sections through a park and tons of turns. Definitely not even comparable to the top courses in the US. Join that with nearly always windy conditions in central Illinois and the course is generally slow.
stats rock
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 8:18PM - in reply to sydney Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

sydney wrote:

yeah. marthonguide used to be good when it first started. the reviews were helpful, but now they're junk. unless of course you are interested in hearing people complain about the size of the medal or that there wasn't their favorite donut at the finish line.

If you don't like the recent comments, just flip back to the older comments. Ex. I just looked up the Baltimore Marathon, and there's 390 comments going back to 2001. There's so many different tools and years and years of stats on it. There's no other marathon website that's as comprehensive. Great resource.
Heat wayv
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/15/2012 9:49PM - in reply to stats rock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
From the Marathon Guide site. Only 12.5% of the Boston runners requalified this year. I wonder how that compares to previous Heat years?
are the you there?
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/16/2012 10:11AM - in reply to stats rock Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

stats rock wrote:

sydney wrote:

If you don't like the recent comments, just flip back to the older comments. Ex. I just looked up the Baltimore Marathon, and there's 390 comments going back to 2001. There's so many different tools and years and years of stats on it. There's no other marathon website that's as comprehensive. Great resource.

John, is that you? LOL
2:45 guy
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/16/2012 5:09PM - in reply to 2:26 guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Myrtle Beach. Flat, Fast, and Cool.
Bennett
RE: What is the fastest marathon course in the US? 9/17/2012 8:48AM - in reply to 2:26 guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'd go with CIM. Slight downhill, some good competition, wel run.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |