Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Ship Alumni
Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:03PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Steve Spence ran his first sub 5:00 minute mile 37 years ago and hasn't stopped since. He put it out to the public that he would be making the attempt this fated week a few months ago before he even began running after almost a year layoff due to injury. He began with with 1 minute on 1 minute off in May to just get his body prepared to run. Within weeks he was up to 10, 15, and 20 min runs. But would be have enough time after such a long layoff? He began running with his daughters and within a month he was ready to go out and run with some of his former athletes but he couldnt hang for long before dropping off. He was struggling with going anaerobic on hills which caused some concern. By late July he was now running with the guys team and going further pushing his long run over 80 minutes. But does he have the speed? He was throwing in some fartleks and strides on a few runs a week which was bringing back the snap in his legs he used to feel years ago. Three days out he steps on the track and does a few 400's averaging 75 followed by some 200's in 35. This left him with some mixed emotions because he did those with recovery and in just a few days he had to be ready to go.
Today was race day and he invited a small group to run with him including his brother Neil and alumnis "Gish" from the class of 98'. They recruited a rabbit with the task of running 74's named Dustin Adams who recently finished college with a solid 14:56 5k pr. The weather was ideal, with 68 degrees creating a chill in the air and a sun that already set removed the need for sunglasses. The evening started with the National Anthem played over the speaker with a crowd of over 50 getting excited, something special was about to happen.

The homestretch was lined with fans and the gun went off! Through the 440 they hit 73, was that too fast? At this point Steve was close to the rabbit with Neil and Gish right on 75. They continue through 880 in 2:27 so the pace slowed to a 75 but still on pace. Adams kept pushing and Steve was using his famous 2x2 breathing keeping his body relaxed and the effort in check. 1320 split of 3:41 showed that there was a surge in the pace but hopefully he wasn't going too fast. Gish was 3:46 and Neil was close behind in 3:51 also hoping for the sub 5 minute mile! Coming down the straight the crowd cheered and screamed as the clock ticked off. As he finished it was obvious that he had more left in the tank, the time.... 4:52.9 a great time for only a few months of training and one track workout. Its obvious with a little more time he is capable of much faster. For now though sub 5 is checked off for the year and make sure to check in next year for his next attempt at 38 years at 51 years young!! congrats Gish for a solid 5:03 and Neil in 5:11. A video will be posted on flotrack within a couple of days with footage and post race interviews.

Great job coach!!!
nyet
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:06PM - in reply to Ship Alumni Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Unimpressive.
theohiostate
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:08PM - in reply to nyet Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

nyet wrote:

Unimpressive.

It probably took you 4:52 to type that word.
AstuteObserver
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:09PM - in reply to Ship Alumni Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Congratulations!! Spence obvioulsy can go faster.
idisagree
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:10PM - in reply to nyet Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Impressive.
boarder patroll
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:25PM - in reply to nyet Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Troll
theohiostate
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:28PM - in reply to idisagree Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I saw Steve Spence win the 1992 Olympic Trials in Columbus, Ohio.

Nice that he's still breaking 5 minutes. Hope he does it well into his Whitlock years.
theohiostate
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:29PM - in reply to theohiostate Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

theohiostate wrote:

I saw Steve Spence win the 1992 Olympic Trials in Columbus, Ohio.

Nice that he's still breaking 5 minutes. Hope he does it well into his Whitlock years.

Olympic Marathon Trials.
capital area conference
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:31PM - in reply to AstuteObserver Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm smiling, remembering the first time I met Steve. It was 1977 at a pre-season cross country meet where we were competing by grade. I can still see him coming over that final rise before the finish, so far ahead of the other sophomores, looking so easy in his Brooks trainers, that we all thought he was warming up on the course for a later race. After that he changed into sandals or flipflops to walk around and put on the goofiest hat seen that day.
Arab mathematician
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:32PM - in reply to Ship Alumni Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
After Steve Prefontaine, Steve Ovett, Steve Cram, and Steve Scott, Steve Spence was an also-Steve
o. O. .
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:37PM - in reply to capital area conference Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just gotta love them 70s!!! Rock me gently!
break it up
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:41PM - in reply to Arab mathematician Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
When all you young punks are 40 years old get back to me. I'm 45 and have always ran at least 5-9 miles at least 4 times every week and could only dream now of breaking 6:00 which is what I did when I was 12 and never ran a step before that. And I ran 70-120 miles a week year round from age 16 to 38.

He's a very fit man for his age, I'm guessing 50 years old now. And running for himself is a low priority. To me its at least as impressive as a streak like Ron Hills running at least 2 miles every day for like 40 years without a day off.
Big person
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 9:50PM - in reply to break it up Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He turned 50 earlier in the year so thats a pretty elite time in the 50+ group. Great to see him still doing it!
Arab mathematician
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 10:20PM - in reply to break it up Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

break it up wrote:

When all you young punks are 40 years old get back to me. I'm 45 and have always ran at least 5-9 miles at least 4 times every week and could only dream now of breaking 6:00 which is what I did when I was 12 and never ran a step before that. And I ran 70-120 miles a week year round from age 16 to 38.

He's a very fit man for his age, I'm guessing 50 years old now. And running for himself is a low priority. To me its at least as impressive as a streak like Ron Hills running at least 2 miles every day for like 40 years without a day off.

What makes you think I'm under 40, don't call me punk, if you can't break 6 now it's because you overtrained your whole life, and I didn't say Steve Spence was no good, just he was far from the best Steve.

Let's see, anything more, nope that about covers it.
break it up
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 10:34PM - in reply to Arab mathematician Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Ok dickhead. You are right he is not the greatest "Steve". Which has nothing to do with why this was mentioned.
grind it out
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 10:37PM - in reply to Arab mathematician Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Arab mathematician wrote:

What makes you think I'm under 40, don't call me punk, if you can't break 6 now it's because you overtrained your whole life, and I didn't say Steve Spence was no good, just he was far from the best Steve.

So are you suggesting that the goal is to train and race for medicocrity from 18 - 45 versus training to be the best? Really? Seems like a cowardly way to approach things.
Arab mathematician
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 11:01PM - in reply to grind it out Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

grind it out wrote:

So are you suggesting that the goal is to train and race for medicocrity from 18 - 45 versus training to be the best? Really? Seems like a cowardly way to approach things.

he asked for it, calling me a punk.
Arab mathematician
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 11:02PM - in reply to break it up Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

break it up wrote:

Ok dickhead. You are right he is not the greatest "Steve". Which has nothing to do with why this was mentioned.

You're still talking smack - I was right about that, too.
High Wire
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 11:03PM - in reply to grind it out Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ran sub-5:00 39 years ago. Probably only 5:20-30 on 10-20 MPW right now (training for other sports). Time to put in some base for the 40th anniversary sub-5 attempt!
AK-54
RE: Steve Spence continues his 37 year streak of sub 5:00 min. mile tonight with a 4:52.9 Story Inside! 8/21/2012 11:09PM - in reply to grind it out Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

grind it out wrote:

Congrats to Steve Spence, who by the way was an excellent Steve with an Olympic team and a World Championship bronze on his resume.
To you inane bickerers. Enough already!
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |