I hear dead people
What the hell is wrong with my computer? Continuous audio ads 7/23/2012 10:28AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My computer has recently started playing audio advertisements 24/7. I have to keep my computer on Mute all the time. If I try to play a video or something the audio from the ads makes it sound like trying to listen to two separate conversations at once. They have to be somehow loaded onto my computer because they play even after I log off the internet and even if I unplug my internet connection cable. My guess is some website installed them and now I have to listen to entertainment news and commercials all day long. I looked through my task manager but can't seem to find anything that might be the problem. Anyone ever have this problem or have any idea how to fix it? Thanks.
I hear dead people
RE: What the hell is wrong with my computer? Continuous audio ads 7/26/2012 10:47AM - in reply to I hear dead people Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I am getting desperate. There are THREE separate audio feeds running right now. I have no idea how to stop this continuous crap. Any suggestions?
not really a computer guy
RE: What the hell is wrong with my computer? Continuous audio ads 7/26/2012 10:54AM - in reply to I hear dead people Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
if it's windows, try going to control panel, pick add or remove programs.

then look for anything that looks like it doesn't belong, and delete it.

that's what i'd do, but as my handle suggests i really don't know a whole lot about computers.
no one
RE: What the hell is wrong with my computer? Continuous audio ads 7/26/2012 2:43PM - in reply to I hear dead people Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
task manager -
processes
select pgms that may be audio
also msconfig (press start, enter msconfig)to stop startup pgms not needed
the cancer guy
RE: What the hell is wrong with my computer? Continuous audio ads 7/26/2012 4:50PM - in reply to I hear dead people Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There is a lot of embedded media content in web pages these days. If you have multiple browser sessions (windows) or multiple browers (IE and chrome and Firefox) they all have their own individual audio "lines". Depending on your OS, this should work:

1) Right click on the audio control in your task bar. This is the little speaker icon next to you clock (if it is displayed).
2) When the menu appears select 'Open Volume Mixer'.
3) You should now see three to a lot of little sliders. Find the one whose icon resembles whatever browser you use (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc). Drag the slider all the way down. Or, just click on the icon below the slider. This will mute (if sound is coming out) or enable (if they are muted).

If this doesn't work post back.
I hear dead people
RE: What the hell is wrong with my computer? Continuous audio ads 7/27/2012 2:21PM - in reply to the cancer guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thank you! There are 5 things listed as "Name not available". I muted them and can no longer hear the ads. Can't figure out how to delete them but at least I no longer have to listen to them.
the cancer guy
RE: What the hell is wrong with my computer? Continuous audio ads 7/27/2012 4:42PM - in reply to I hear dead people Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No prob. There are many, many more things you could do to figure out exactly what is the source of the issue, but, if all you needed was a sanity check, glad I could help.
blaznbison24
RE: What the hell is wrong with my computer? Continuous audio ads 8/5/2012 2:42PM - in reply to the cancer guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Run Malwarebytes to see if it finds anything sketchy. If you're using FIrefox, get the "No Script" and "Adblock Plus" plug-ins.