Hi, everyone I've been off from running for a little over a year now. Well thats not completely true i've been doing HIIT for about 3 months, 3x a week. But before I ask a my question some things you need to know about me:
1. PRs 51 400; 1:55 800; 4:20 mile; 27:45 8k
2. I ran for four years stopping at my soph year (just completed my junior year with running running)I transferred schools for academic reasons and will no longer have a coach.
3. I ran 60-65 miles my last year of running
4. I am 21 years old, about to turn 22.
5. I have gone from 135 to 147 back to 142 after cutting (this is my current weight) with mostly muscle gains from lifting. I am also 5'6
6. I recently completed a timed mile, 800, and 400 (all different days); 4:50, 2:11, 54 respectively. This was with only 3 weeks on 3-4 days of running 3-4 miles (Not HIIT)
Now my question is do you all think that I'll be able to get back into 1:55 shape come spring track season? I understand that a lot of it will be building a base. Do you think building base till about january is acceptable? I'm only concerned about competing in the 400 and 800. Any adivice or stories of other people who have returend after a long break would greatly be appreciated!
|running girl 79|
I think you should definitely be back in shape way before spring. If you focus for a month, you should be able to get at least pretty close to your PRs, especially in the 400. It might take slightly longer to get back to your PRs in your longer events. Your 400 is already quite close to your PR, all things considered. If the 400 and 800 are your focus, I would do moderate base and some speed work and plyometrics and maybe some weight lifting. Doing a set of a few 200s at close to full speed from time to time would be very helpful.