Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |
Querfeldein
Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 1:31PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hajo Seppelt, a well-known German sports journalist, has been traveling to Kenya, and claims to have found evidence of widespread doping by posing undercover as a sports agent. According to him, doping is rife in Kenya, among locals, but also among elite foreign athletes who travel there to train. One athlete mentioned by name is mentioned is Pamela Jelimo, although he can only link her to a doctor who offered to perform blood doping, and cannot offer a direct proof of her doping.

Here is an interview with Hajo Seppelt on German public radio:

http://ondemand-mp3.dradio.de/file/dradio/2012/05/19/dlf_20120519_1948_1fe7cd02.mp3

The full report ran on "ARD Sportschau" on TV today, but I haven't found it online yet.
Melo Anthony
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 1:45PM - in reply to Querfeldein Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Jealous much?
sdf
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 1:59PM - in reply to Melo Anthony Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Melo Anthony wrote:

Jealous much?

+1
runn
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 2:20PM - in reply to Querfeldein Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know someone who goes to my doctor who is on drugs. Does that mean I'm on drugs?
captain and me
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 2:32PM - in reply to runn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Of course - it is guilt by association. Isn't that the American way?
Querfeldein
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 3:18PM - in reply to Melo Anthony Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Melo Anthony wrote:

Jealous much?

Shoot the messenger.

Here's the TV report (in German) - there's likely to be a more extended version to be broadcast soon. The owner of the Nairobi "health shop" where they are buying EPO claims that Patrick Makau is a regular customer.

http://mediathek.daserste.de/sendungen_a-z/53524_sportschau/10573070_kenianische-laeufer-unter-dopingverdacht
Querfeldein
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 3:21PM - in reply to runn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

runn wrote:

I know someone who goes to my doctor who is on drugs. Does that mean I'm on drugs?

And your doctor keeps centrifuges and testing equipment in his basements, boasts of his expertise with steroids, and offers to assist you with a blood doping program and avoiding detection?
trollism
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 4:09PM - in reply to Querfeldein Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Querfeldein wrote:

And your doctor keeps centrifuges and testing equipment in his basements, boasts of his expertise with steroids, and offers to assist you with a blood doping program and avoiding detection?

He might do that for other people, but for Jelimo and all the other lovely smiley Kenyans he's just offering a normal GP service.

I would imagine he only really has white people as clients for the dodgy stuff, as East African athletes are not genetically programmed to cheat. They just can't do it. Renato says so.
William Penn
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 4:20PM - in reply to trollism Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
can we get some English commentary on this?
cotton tees suck
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 4:33PM - in reply to William Penn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Video won't load...
VoR
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 4:46PM - in reply to trollism Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

trollism wrote:

I would imagine he only really has white people as clients for the dodgy stuff, as East African athletes are not genetically programmed to cheat. They just can't do it. Renato says so.

Exactly!
(... or so I think. It's not always easy to decipher exactly what Renato is saying)

In any case there's simply no way such methods would work for people born at altitude. Some guy on a message board told me that in no uncertain terms.
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 4:51PM - in reply to William Penn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well ARD is mainstream media outlet but I didnt listen. Sounds like sketchy stuff though.
deinemudderklautbeiAldi
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 5:19PM - in reply to .. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I listened and watched the documentary. And I am native german .
Here is what happened: Hajo Seppelt, journalist went to Kenya and claimed to be a European Athlete's manager. He spoke to one of the leading Athlete's doctor there about possibilities to get "extra support" = doping (this was videotaped with hidden camera). He was pointed towards the doctor from a source in kenya track and field.

The doctor went on and openly talked about opportunities to perform blood doping, where to hide the blood bags, etc.. He said he has already a lot of experience with this. He can also get HGH's if he needed and EPO. Doctor said he is working with a lot of athletes, from many countries including Bahrain and the US, but of course does not want to call names.
Journalist Seppelt asked about doping controls in Kenya and the doctor said there are not many controls in Kenya, also he has a program running where he regularly checks the urine and blood of his athletes to see whether they could be tested positive.

My opinion:
a) ARD is not just some mainstream media source in germany that focus on celebrities or so, it is instead historically a unbiased media program and to some extent comparable with the BBC.

b) Still I am a bit sceptical. This reporter guy was sort of exaggerating by saying this interview and the research he did gives him enough evidence to convinced that most kenyian athletes starting in London this year will be doped. He also repeatedly simplified the whole reason why kenyans are so good as simply stating "well, we always thought that it was only the altitude, whereas in fact I have now evidence it might be also due to doping".

I am not sure what to think of this, to be honest. By the way he did not make the claim Chelimo is under a doping program he only said that doctor showed him her blood profile.

hope that helps a bit.
the field
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 5:35PM - in reply to deinemudderklautbeiAldi Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Tell ya one thing: If you're white and you point out that a whole lot of the best athletes in track (who mostly happen to be black of course) are doping, you're just wrong. Shut your mouth. Because until it's proven in a court of law, there is NO WAY any of the Africans are doping. They ran to and from school EVERY DAY!
bladerunner
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 6:08PM - in reply to the field Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Is blood doping ever detectable? If you get a transfusion of your own blood, how can they know? This was a common charge against Lance Armstrong.
luke s
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 6:12PM - in reply to bladerunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
They can find microscopic pieces of the bag the blood was in, pumping round your veins. Says Frank Shorter.
dingle
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 6:19PM - in reply to bladerunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

bladerunner wrote:

Is blood doping ever detectable? If you get a transfusion of your own blood, how can they know? This was a common charge against Lance Armstrong.

The biological passport is one way to detect transfusions.
Hats too bee shed
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 6:19PM - in reply to Querfeldein Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Querfeldein wrote:

Melo Anthony wrote:

Jealous much?

Shoot the messenger.

+1

I have no idea who is/is not doping. But this knee-jerk "jealous much?" reaction is childish nonsense.
Runthedistance
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 6:21PM - in reply to bladerunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Lol, same old nonsense. The child of a Nazi is a Nazi, racist to the core. you can buy any fake doctor to say wherever you want to hear.
Runthedistance
RE: Doping widespread in Kenya? Fresh allegations by German journalist 5/19/2012 6:56PM - in reply to Runthedistance Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I just wrote to AK to investigate and find out who these doctor is and see if the allegations are true. The reporter needs to give all the information to IAAF, WADA and AK, this is a serious issue.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |