sailor
Cal State Fullerton's Ben Brown Invitational. Review & your thoughts? 3/11/2012 6:02PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thoughts on Ben Brown Invitational last night? Here's my basic review:

Some pretty good racing in several events. There were some great doubles (Jordan Senko- 800 + 1500; Alex Mason, 1500 + 5k), as well as individual performances. (is this the same Alex Mason from Alameda high school in the late '90's, and who i think ran at Long Beach State?) Charles Jock is showing that his endurance is improving. I'm confident he'll be a contender for the win at the Oly Trials 800m this summer. Danny Reid (from Azusa Pacific) came back with a solid 1:50 in the 800, after a few years off. The winner was Brandon Johnson (sorry, but I don't know who that is) with a legit 1:48 and a huge margin of victory. He looked solid.

Men's 5k: strong field in the top 2 sections, as usual. Gotta hand it to those 2 dudes from The Master's (NAIA school near 6 flags magic mountain) who ran about 14:10 or so. Top 4 were really close!
1 Micah Chelimo Alaska Anchorage 14:08.91
2 Lane Werley Unattached 14:10.18
3 Anthony Pizzo The Masters 14:10.64
4 John Gilbertson The Masters 14:11.96
Anyone know what happened to a real masters level runner, Christan Cushing-Murray? He looked good, but i think he dropped out? Didn't see him in the results.

Men's steeple was a little soft in terms of time, but was a good race overall. Several lead changes, a good tumble by some dude, and a fun race to watch!

Womens' 1500 looked good as well. Good to see Kim Ramirez still running strong.

Women's 5k was good, but i expected it to be faster, with a winning time in the 16:40's.

Women's steeple was more stacked than the men's. Alaska Anchorage did well with the top 2 spots.

What are your thoughts?
waitwut
RE: Cal State Fullerton's Ben Brown Invitational. Review & your thoughts? 3/11/2012 7:00PM - in reply to sailor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Surprised you didn't mention the fifth place guy in the 5000, Daniel Herrera. This dude is on fire right now. Last year his personal best in the 1500 and the 5000 were 3:55 and 14:52. Now he's run 14:16 this week and 3:48 last week, and it's still March! Not sure if he's peaking too soon or not, but remember that this guy is a junior college athlete. Lots of potential still to be unlocked.
sailor
RE: Cal State Fullerton's Ben Brown Invitational. Review & your thoughts? 3/11/2012 7:04PM - in reply to waitwut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
you're right! I think he's from Cerritos? he's on his way to a good season, regardless of peaking too soon or not. i wouldn't be surprised if he's posting those marks early to get attention from D-1 types with $$$ to distribute for good times, and not a lot of time in the season left for decisions.
socalcush
RE: Cal State Fullerton's Ben Brown Invitational. Review & your thoughts? 3/11/2012 7:19PM - in reply to sailor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
since you asked:

i registered two dnfs. after an 11 hour day at a high school track meet, i had only planned to pace a former athlete currently from orange coast junior college thru 8-10 laps of 69s. we managed a 4:36 through 4 laps, but first 3 were in lanes 2-3, then 9:16 through 3200 before i peeled off; i was beat. my athlete managed a 10 second pr, running 14:43, but off his goal of running sub-14:30.

came back about an hour later and planned on helping ken ernst if he needed it, but he had a good pack to run with, so i paced a few other compex teammates through 10:05, taking jeff ambos through 12 laps, and dropping out since we had worked our way up to a pack that i figured would carry him the rest of the way. ken crushed the 50-54 national age group record by 7 seconds, running 15:34, while jeff came close to the former record with a 15:45. host cal state fullerton even gives ken props on their website as the meet hightlight--pretty cool they acknowledge the old guys:
http://www.fullertontitans.com/sports/c-track/csfu-c-track-body.html
somerandomdude
RE: Cal State Fullerton's Ben Brown Invitational. Review & your thoughts? 3/12/2012 1:08AM - in reply to socalcush Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I thought so too. Rare. classy of whoever does the website. perhaps the coach insisted? either way, heck of a run by an old fart. he's my dad's age.
dude~

socalcush wrote:
......host cal state fullerton even gives ken props on their website as the meet hightlight--pretty cool they acknowledge the old guys:
http://www.fullertontitans.com/sports/c-track/csfu-c-track-body.html
Pat Douglas
RE: Cal State Fullerton's Ben Brown Invitational. Review & your thoughts? 3/15/2012 9:06PM - in reply to waitwut Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I know what happened to Christian Cushing-Murray, he was pacing me for the 5k and was only gonna go through 2 miles because it would be a good tune up for the 1500 at Oxy next weekend (this weekend,hes in the A heat there)
Pat Douglas
RE: Cal State Fullerton's Ben Brown Invitational. Review & your thoughts? 3/15/2012 9:13PM - in reply to Pat Douglas Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
woops, didnt see your post cush. explained it much better