PSAC in the blood
Difference between Hepatitis B, C, and HIV? 3/8/2012 11:36PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have an exercise science test tomorrow, and am a bit confused about the differences between Hepatitis B, C, and HIV

Are all three primarily passed through contact with an infected person's blood? - or does one of them happen more often with semen, vaginal fluid etc.?

Can all three be contracted through sexual contact, semen, vaginal fluid etc?

HBV has flu like symptoms, and affects liver?

HCV also has flu like symptoms, and affects liver, but is much more serious?

HIV - like HCV it has no vaccine, and can kill you within around 2 years without medication?

Thanks
Guppy
RE: Difference between Hepatitis B, C, and HIV? 3/9/2012 12:05AM - in reply to PSAC in the blood Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
PSAC in the blood
RE: Difference between Hepatitis B, C, and HIV? 3/9/2012 12:09AM - in reply to Guppy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I did do that a little, but was wondering if someone could just give me fast, concise answers in one place
the prince
RE: Difference between Hepatitis B, C, and HIV? 3/9/2012 12:09AM - in reply to PSAC in the blood Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Look Spanky, I'll help you so you don't have to stress tomorrow.

All three are passed through blood and bodily fluids, and I don't believe any hard and fast stats exist as to which mode is more prevalent.

From mildest to worst = Hep B, Hep C, HIV

Only Hep B has a vaccination. Both Heps have somewhat flu-like symptoms in addition to other things such as jaundice, etc.

HIV does not kill in two years if untreated, but rather progresses into AIDS, which will kill you, but the time that takes varies from person to person based on a number of factors.
PSAC in the blood
RE: Difference between Hepatitis B, C, and HIV? 3/9/2012 12:18AM - in reply to the prince Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
it turns out you're my prince in shining armor

thanks a lot!
lol lol lol lol
RE: Difference between Hepatitis B, C, and HIV? 3/9/2012 3:36AM - in reply to the prince Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
All three are passed through blood and bodily fluids[/quote]

Hep C is transmitted, essentially, only through blood. Unlike, for example, HIV, it is not present in semen or other body fluids in any significant amount.
Wrong thought
RE: Difference between Hepatitis B, C, and HIV? 3/9/2012 7:36AM - in reply to lol lol lol lol Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Of course there are Nobel prize winning scientist who do not believe HIV causes Aids.
Todays best music - my station
RE: Difference between Hepatitis B, C, and HIV? 3/9/2012 7:48AM - in reply to Wrong thought Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I guess it's just a coincidence that everyone with AIDS also has HIV, and that HIV attacks the immune system in exactly the way that would cause AIDS?
the smartest letsrunner
RE: Difference between Hepatitis B, C, and HIV? 3/9/2012 8:16AM - in reply to PSAC in the blood Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wow. Future leaders here?

Hep B - sexual transmission, acute (immediate) disease, usually self-resolving, rarely fatal
Hep C - bloodborne transmission, chronic (long term) disease, curable but difficult to do so, often fatal if untreated (liver cirrhosis, liver failure, liver cancer)
HIV - sexual or bloodborn transmission, chronic disease, treatable but not curable, fatal if untreated (immune compromise)

Only a vaccine for Hep B.

Probably Ventolin can tell you more.
sf
RE: Difference between Hepatitis B, C, and HIV? 3/9/2012 8:39AM - in reply to the smartest letsrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hep B rarely fatal? It is one of the leading causes of liver cancer worldwide.