Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
jonjon
Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 1:27AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I got a job in manhattan that will pay me $17/hr. I have an opportunity to move in to an apartment for $900/mo. Assuming I work 40 hrs/week ($680--maybe like $560 after taxes?) What will life be like on this budget? The aptmnt is in Brooklyn, if that makes a difference.
samesinkingboat
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 1:49AM - in reply to jonjon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That's about what I make, but I live in the country, away from all the things you will spend money on in that very expensive city. Rent should be 25% of your gross income, 35% max. Maybe, if you have very few bills, and very few expenses, you'll be able to break even.
Running in the Rain
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 1:52AM - in reply to jonjon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You would have to live a very frugal life style to pull that off. Is it two bed room so you could have a roommate?

I pay 875 Rent for my place along with power, cable/internet and utilites which adds about another 250 and I barley break even per paycheck on just about 3000 a month.
jonjon
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 2:03AM - in reply to Running in the Rain Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i guess i should also say I'm 22 years old just out of college, and will probably stay on my family's cell phone plan etc. for this month, and i don't have a car...i don't really have any bills aside from rent...so my expenses are really rent, food, subway tickets, and leisure if anything is left over...i have some savings to dip into if i ever need to splurge
jonjon
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 2:20AM - in reply to jonjon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i meant this year rather than this month
typical letsrun scrub
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 2:51AM - in reply to jonjon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's definitely doable if you don't have to worry about things like a car, or phone or hopefully health insurance because you either don't have them or they are covered by your parents. That said you probably aren't going to have a ton of spending cash and might want to consider getting a second job on the weekends. I think you should do it assuming this is the type of job that will open up doors for you in the future!
Glory Hole
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 3:00AM - in reply to jonjon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
What happens if you lose your job?
Periott
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 3:20AM - in reply to jonjon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Banquet TV dinners
drink...water

no...

cell phone
Dish/Direct TV etc
no vices...drinking, smoking, women, drugs.
no home computor

You get into bodybuiling, lifting tables, chairs, books etc. Read all you can. So you are building your body and your mind while poverty stricken. Kind of a trade off.

Good luck.
jonjon
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 3:34AM - in reply to Periott Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
To the above poster, I am very afraid of losing my job, I would be screwed...though i am in a program that lasts for 2 years so unless i do something to mess it up there is a pretty set timeline.

The apartment is a 2 bdrm i am splitting (it's 1800/month)...there is also an extra room in it that can clearly be used as a third bedroom (separate from the common living space, i really don't know why it was listed as a 2bdrm)...If i can find a third person to live there and the rent went down to 600/month i would be way more comfortable, but I don't want to count on that because who knows if I'll be able to find anyone.

Is there anyone here in a similar living situation? I do think it makes a difference that as someone mentioned, I am very fortunate to not have to worry about health insurance, cell phone plan, car payments, etc..

I donno what I'm looking to hear, I either have to sign or not tomorrow so I'm just stressed out and can't sleep
different approach
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 5:52AM - in reply to jonjon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I make 10k a month and pay $215 in rent. Utilities are about $130 a month. 3 bedroom 2 bath house.
xlev2
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 6:09AM - in reply to different approach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

different approach wrote:

I make 10k a month and pay $215 in rent. Utilities are about $130 a month. 3 bedroom 2 bath house.

+++++++++
you must mean $2150
different approach
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 7:05AM - in reply to xlev2 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
no I do not mean $2150. Life is great.
davai
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 7:22AM - in reply to jonjon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No. Absolutely not. Your lifestyle will be so frugal, it won't be worth it. Find a cheaper place to live and you'll be able to enjoy a bit more of the city.

I was making 30k a year when I first moved into the city, paying $600 in rent - I lived simply, but I was at least able to afford some fun nights out. (although my friends and I used to joke that we were all one paycheck away from living on the streets)

Check out Astoria - cheaper rents, closer to the city than brooklyn and a very nice, funky neighborhood. You shouldn't be paying more than $500/month for rent
A-run
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 7:33AM - in reply to davai Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Also, do not forget running shoe related expenses.
Say Tann
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 9:10AM - in reply to different approach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
similar here... i make approx $170k (pre bonus) and pay $700 a month all in (heat, water, trash..)

different approach wrote:

fghrunner
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 9:21AM - in reply to Say Tann Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
working 40 hrs/week that comes out to a little over 35k/yr before taxes. i know people making a little less paying a little more. i say go for it but be frugal
Big Baller
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 9:25AM - in reply to Say Tann Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I make $325,845 a month and pay nothing in rent.
Charles Daniels, Esq.
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 9:44AM - in reply to Big Baller Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I make $18-25/hr and pay $1,300 a month for 400sg ft AND have a significant other I support who isn't making income.

It's very tight, but we still eat well, drink wine, etc. Just gotta play your cards right, living in a ski town with the pow pow out your door every dayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
J.R.
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 10:50AM - in reply to davai Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

davai wrote:

Check out Astoria - cheaper rents, closer to the city than brooklyn and a very nice, funky neighborhood. You shouldn't be paying more than $500/month for rent

Why pay $900 when you can get one for 400 less???

How much are utilities, water, heating, a/c, gas, etc.

It doesn't sound like you're (the OP) very frugal to me.
Track Fan 1979
RE: Can I afford to live in an apartment for $900/month making $17/hr? 2/26/2012 11:25AM - in reply to jonjon Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Factor in a monthly Metro card ( $100 something a month ) food, etc. You don't want to be cash poor where you cant go out and do absolutly nothing.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |