pinhead
Help: my newborn has a pointy head, can I mold it? 2/24/2012 1:37PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My newborn definitely has what I would consider a pointy skull, not quite Zippy the Pinhead, but more elongated toward the rear of his skull, to a point. Should I mold or bind his head to resolve this, or will he grow out of it? I don't want to pop a finger through his soft spot, or accidentally be squeezing his brain. It looks very aerodynamic, but ceratinly has become a topic of discussion that I would prefer not to have at family get togethers.
asdffsda
RE: Help: my newborn has a pointy head, can I mold it? 2/24/2012 1:39PM - in reply to pinhead Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Get a Dynabrade sander and smooth it out a bit.
get real
RE: Help: my newborn has a pointy head, can I mold it? 2/24/2012 1:47PM - in reply to pinhead Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
They make baby helmuts to minimize skull distortions. However, most babies get flat head syndrome due to being in a recumbent position 24 hr/day (it sucks not to be able to sit upright). Your kid's head is probably that way b/c s/he was packed like a sardine in your wife's uterus for 9+ months and then pushed through nearly impenetrable pelvis bones upon eviction. If your kid's pinheadedness doesn't improve over the next month or so, bring it up with the pedi.

Welcome.
Charlie Sheen
RE: Help: my newborn has a pointy head, can I mold it? 2/24/2012 1:47PM - in reply to asdffsda Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hey, be positive. He can always star in "Coneheads Part 2".
D-Train
RE: Help: my newborn has a pointy head, can I mold it? 2/24/2012 1:50PM - in reply to pinhead Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Troll
cheap sucker punch
RE: Help: my newborn has a pointy head, can I mold it? 2/24/2012 2:02PM - in reply to pinhead Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

pinhead wrote:Help: my newborn has a pointy head, can I mold it?.

Yep. Let gravity be his friend- teach him to stand on his little pointy head. Too bad it isn't Hanukkah. You could paint letters on his head and use him as a dreidel.
sf
RE: Help: my newborn has a pointy head, can I mold it? 2/24/2012 2:22PM - in reply to pinhead Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not sure if the OP's question is for real or a troll. But in case it is for real, you don't need to do anything. Many vaginal birth babies have molded heads that appear elongated towards the vertex. The newborn skull is composed of plates of bone and they shift during delivery. The appearance is often accentuated by some bogginess on the scalp in the same area, called caput. The infant's brain growth will round out the head soon enough. No intervention is needed.

Many infants also develop some flattening on the back of the skull. This has been especially common since the 'sleep on the back' recommendation was make in the early 90's. The solution to this one is to let the baby never develop this in the first place by positioning baby on the stomach while awake for a significant portion of each day, and also by alternating baby's position in the crib while on the back, i.e. switch the direction of baby's head with where the feet are every couple of days.

Some infants have premature fusion of the sutures or fibrous connections between the skull bones, a condition known as craniosynostosis. This condition usually leads to a long, narrow banana shaped head, however, not a pointy one.

Your baby will be fine.
The Count's Son
RE: Help: my newborn has a pointy head, can I mold it? 2/24/2012 2:50PM - in reply to pinhead Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have had two children and both had the cone head for a week or two after birth. Both have super round heads now, so they are fine. Luckily, my wife is a stay-at-home mother so they rarely had to lay on their backs as infants. I think this sped up the process.

In my 6 month-olds swim class, two of the kids wear helmets, which is actually quite common these days. Peds will give them to kids with the flat heads so that the rounding process can occur. No big deal, the helmets are actually kind of cute. One of the kids in my son's class has a bunch of stickers on his helmet.

If you really do have an issue that cannot be resolved, just buy your kid Harry Nilsson's The Point and he will learn to love his head (like Oblio). You will also inadvertently improve his taste in music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGFlACG6qvI