Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
is the promise ring dead?
If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 1:12PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Simple question, would you switch countries in order to compete in the olympics knowing that you would be on that country's olympic team?

I believe this would only work if you have the "A" standard for whatever event you're in and dual citizenship with the U.S. and another country.
HRE
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 1:42PM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'd do it in a flash.
BeeArh
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 1:51PM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

is the promise ring dead? wrote:

Simple question, would you switch countries in order to compete in the olympics knowing that you would be on that country's olympic team?

I believe this would only work if you have the "A" standard for whatever event you're in and dual citizenship with the U.S. and another country.

No I would not switch allegiance...but interesting though you should read my post
slow movers badge
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 1:53PM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
first stop for me would look toward puerto rico,US virgins,guam etc that have OG memberships it may be as easy as establishing a legal residence.
taxes etc make a diff as does geopolitical concerns
in theory- sure would- proud USArmy vet too.
i'd think of it like my company needed to be based in europe/south Seas for 6 years or something. At retirement you could revert back to a USA passport -in somecases being a resident alien can improve you tax position.
all about keeping the money you earn.
OneMoreThing
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 5:35PM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Recent history documents that many people actually do this, sometimes going to great efforts to acquire alternate citizenship.

And in fact you don't need the Olympic "A" standard - the "B" standard is good enough if the country you're switching to doesn't have anyone who has met the "A" standard. Often the other country won't have anyone who has met even the "B" standard in the event, so you are basically automatically in to the Olympics if you have/get citizenship and meet the "B" standard.

But you can still impress people by saying you are an Olympic athlete, because most people don't understand (or care) about the above.
orbitboy
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 5:40PM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wouldn't be the same to compete in the Olympics if you did it representing another country.
Blowing.Rock Master
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 6:14PM - in reply to HRE Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

HRE wrote:

I'd do it in a flash.

Ditto.
Patriot88
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 6:15PM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Isn't there like 3 or 4 Americans runnning for Britain these days?

A few sprinters and a long jumper I think.
fo sure
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 6:28PM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

is the promise ring dead? wrote:

definitely. i don't even live in the u.s. anymore, and don't want to ever again really, so it wouldn't be much for me.
yes en ingles
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 10:18PM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In a heart beat. Going to the Olympics is just about every athlete's dream. I don't care If I went representing El Salvador, I'd still go if I had that opportunity.
no way
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 10:30PM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No way. As a distance runner, if I'm not good enough to make the U.S. Olympic team, I'm not good enough to run in the Olympics. I really have no interest in flying half way around the world to get lapped in a prelim.
SS Shaheen and R Ramzi
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 10:40PM - in reply to no way Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I would even change my name, and take some drugs to do it!
jaguar1
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/18/2012 10:52PM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A strong no. Means much more to represent the USA.
sportfan
Hell, yes 2/18/2012 11:51PM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'd be happy to get a passport to any western hemisphere country and many in the east.

I'm 49 and obviously I'd be embarrassed to actually run in the Olympics but say if I was 25 and a 13:40 5000 guy (is that a B standard? I dont know?) you'd have the experience of a lifetime.

Say you had to live in Bolivia for a few years - there are advantages. It has high altitude, beautiful women, low cost of living. You could do some coaching or teach english and then be back in Minneapolis or wherever in less than 24 hours if you needed to be.
Blowing.Rock Master
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/19/2012 12:48AM - in reply to jaguar1 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

jaguar1 wrote:

A strong no. Means much more to represent the USA.

Would you say that if you were Canadian? How about Australian? Kenyan?
Dog treats.
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/19/2012 3:31AM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i feel repersenting another country just to buy your ticket to the games is missing the point. people respect olympians because of the talent/work they put into their event. A person that changes citizenships is just beating the system to have that title, it wouldnt mean the same.

If there are natural ties to a second country than that is a differnt story, but moving somewhere else just for the team, is going too far.
wow. how sad
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/19/2012 4:58AM - in reply to Dog treats. Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Dog treats. wrote:

i feel repersenting another country just to buy your ticket to the games is missing the point. people respect olympians because of the talent/work they put into their event. A person that changes citizenships is just beating the system to have that title, it wouldnt mean the same.

So they can put in the exact same work with the exact same talent, but you think it isn't the same depending on what team they're on?

How stupid is that?
Old Ultra Guy
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/19/2012 5:25AM - in reply to wow. how sad Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
In late 1979, I had been in a Caribbean country for two years. I had won their marathon twice in a row. They asked if I would represent them in Moscow 1980. I contact the State Department and told them the situation. I got a letter that in essence said, "if you get a passport from that country, don't try returning to the US." I did not do it.
VF Runner
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/19/2012 6:02AM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If I had some tie to another country I might do it, but I don't think I'd go "country shopping" to find somewhere to run for.
Former NAIA All-American
RE: If you couldn't make the olympic team in the U.S. but you could in another country, would you switch citizenship? 2/19/2012 6:10AM - in reply to is the promise ring dead? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Hell focking yes. And if I thought PEDs would help, I'd be pumping those too.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |