Pages: | 1 | 2 |
Impressed......
Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/11/2012 9:08PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Impressive run from high schooler Ajee Wilson at Millrose 800. Comes through the 400 in the back of the pack around 62, gets a little boxed in, but moves up well to nip Vessey and finish right behind Uceny, Magiso, and Wright. 2:04.1. Consistent improvement every week and definitely a strong candidate for the Olympic team this summer.
Popxico
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/11/2012 9:50PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There are many reasons why Letsrun is not lit up about this high school phenom, and as usual, none of them have to do with the SHE'S NOT WHITE.
Coach Owl Birdo
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/11/2012 9:55PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

A Track wrote:

I would pound Latavia Thomas...

Do you mean Lea Wallace?
mr xxx
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/11/2012 9:59PM - in reply to Popxico Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
800 HSR 2:01.8 Mary Decker (Orange, California) San Diego, California 2/17/74
Trackjc
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/11/2012 11:11PM - in reply to mr xxx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
We need to remember that Decker set the record on a small track. Makes a difference.
T-man
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/11/2012 11:45PM - in reply to Trackjc Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
She split 200 on a relay last spring. This kid is the real deal - showed some inexperience/nerves by getting mixed up in some contact in the last 300. A few more races at this level and she will be the one with the target on her back.
TRUE TRUE
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/12/2012 12:15AM - in reply to Popxico Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
+10
coach d
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/12/2012 12:19AM - in reply to Popxico Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Popxico wrote:

There are many reasons why Letsrun is not lit up about this high school phenom, and as usual, none of them have to do with the SHE'S NOT WHITE.

And she's committed to Florida State, not Oregon.
Ninja Runner
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/12/2012 1:29AM - in reply to Popxico Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
wait, she's black?
VIPAM
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/12/2012 11:03AM - in reply to Impressed...... Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
It's unlikely that Ajee will make the Olympic team due to the fact that she already stated, "My main focus is World Junior Championships." She may change her mind; however, I think she wants to improve on her 2010 World Jr finish and compete with athletes her age and similiar ability.
TrackCoach
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/12/2012 2:56PM - in reply to VIPAM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
No offense to Ajee, but if she could make the USOT 800 final, that would be an accomplishment. Ajee is perhaps a 2:01 800 meter runner; there are over about a dozen U.S. women capable of running 2:01. The athletes who will compete for a spot will all be capable of 1:58. She has shot a world jr medal, that's a more appropriate goal.
superawesomness
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/12/2012 4:31PM - in reply to VIPAM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You both say these things like she hasn't already won World Junior Championships...she did win World Junior's in 2:02 last year. I don't think it's reasonable for her to try to make the Olympic team this year, but just give her a year or two and she'll be running right with the best in the US

(2011 World Junior Championship girl's 800m race video:
http://www.universalsports.com/video/assetid=c072c95b-d9e9-4c84-a3ad-1bed11100c15.html )

VIPAM wrote:

It's unlikely that Ajee will make the Olympic team due to the fact that she already stated, "My main focus is World Junior Championships." She may change her mind; however, I think she wants to improve on her 2010 World Jr finish and compete with athletes her age and similiar ability.

TrackCoach:
No offense to Ajee, but if she could make the USOT 800 final, that would be an accomplishment. Ajee is perhaps a 2:01 800 meter runner; there are over about a dozen U.S. women capable of running 2:01. The athletes who will compete for a spot will all be capable of 1:58. She has shot a world jr medal, that's a more appropriate goal.
Are you forgetting?
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/12/2012 11:29PM - in reply to TrackCoach Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Amy Weissenbach has a bigger chance of making the team. She ran 2:02.84 last year with horrible splits (57, then ~65!!) when it was wet and had just rained. Ajee beat her at WJC last year because California's competitive season is much longer and Weiss peaked for state, and Ajee was able to peak perfectly for WJC because of a light ankle injury she got. She also has 17 minute 5K endurance and 53 second 400 speed... this all points to her being beaten. I'm not bashing her because she's not white, hell, I'm not white myself, but I just think if Weissenbach peaks perfectly for OT, then she'll win.
sdalkjgklsagjla
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/12/2012 11:37PM - in reply to Are you forgetting? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Agree that Weissenbach has huge potential as well. She's flying under the radar not without indoor, but she's running the 400 at Brooks PR. She has incredible endurance and speed as well...definitely one to watch.

I actually think that Wilson COULD run 1:58 this year. She ran 2:02 in a championship race, toying with the field the first 600 meters, and dealt with the aforementioned injury last year. She did not win World Juniors, but was 4th (two years ago, around 2:04) and last year won the World Youth title.

Weissenbach and Wilson both have sub 2:00 potential and a shot at the Olympic team.
Concerned Citizen
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/12/2012 11:50PM - in reply to Popxico Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Popxico wrote:

What are you talking about? There are often threads pointing out some recent accomplishment by Ajee Wilson. I remember a lot of excitement when she split 2 flat two years ago.

This was an excellent run.
Industree
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/13/2012 7:13AM - in reply to Concerned Citizen Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
She is very inexperienced indoors and it showed at the US Open and again this past weekend. She has so much left in those legs at the end of these races due to being boxed.

She can sub-2:00 this year outdoors. Sweet Under Armour shirt as well.
World Youth
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/13/2012 7:14AM - in reply to Concerned Citizen Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think it was World Youth Championships that Ajee won last year.
Runtowin1
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/13/2012 11:59AM - in reply to World Youth Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

World Youth wrote:

I think it was World Youth Championships that Ajee won last year.

You are correct sir! No one competitor was over the age of 17, (unless you consider the lack of birth certificates from Kenya or Ethiopia).
http://www.iaaf.org/wyc11/index.html
Runtowin1
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/13/2012 12:06PM - in reply to mr xxx Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

mr xxx wrote:

800 HSR 2:01.8 Mary Decker (Orange, California) San Diego, California 2/17/74

Mary Decker never ran a step for her high school (Orange HS), She was attached to The Blue Angels and ALWAYS ran Pro races.
TrackCoach
RE: Ajee Wilson mixes it up with the pros, gets 4th to beat Vessey 2/13/2012 12:50PM - in reply to Are you forgetting? Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Are you forgetting? wrote:

Amy Weissenbach has a bigger chance of making the team. She ran 2:02.84 last year with horrible splits (57, then ~65!!) when it was wet and had just rained. Ajee beat her at WJC last year because California's competitive season is much longer and Weiss peaked for state, and Ajee was able to peak perfectly for WJC because of a light ankle injury she got. She also has 17 minute 5K endurance and 53 second 400 speed... this all points to her being beaten. I'm not bashing her because she's not white, hell, I'm not white myself, but I just think if Weissenbach peaks perfectly for OT, then she'll win.

NJ's season is just as tough and just as long and Ajee is also capable of running just as fast in the 400 and XC if she wanted to.
Pages: | 1 | 2 |