Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
rhat
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 9:16AM - in reply to XXX_NYC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

XXX_NYC wrote:

She has deep and thought provoking songs, which as a result can also be sad/depressing, but those are usually better. Who actually wants to hear "happy music"?

I disagree. Most of her lyrics (the ones I've heard, anyway) are of a confessional nature and deal with her relationships. Not exactly plumbing the depths of the human experience. But, it's pop music. It is what it is.

That said, it looks like you won't have to worry about her for a while:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jmaureenhenderson/2012/02/16/why-adele-is-right-to-bow-out-of-the-music-biz/

And, when she returns to the scene she apparently will do so with a "happy" album.
Steve Martin
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 9:59AM - in reply to Flagpole Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Flagpole wrote:

duncnasty wrote:

i'm trying to figure out why people actually like her or her music. i first heard one of her songs back in may when i got back from deployment and it was pure pain to my ears. i'm just wondering what the big deal is about her and her terrible, depressing music.

Rolling In The Deep is an amazing song; she's got an incredible voice. I've heard a couple of her other songs and was not a fan of them though I still recognize the greatness in her voice. I would never buy a CD from her because generally speaking I don't like her style of music, but Rolling In The Deep is a home run.

That song sounds like it is right out of the Bonnie Raitt songbook.
Steve Martin
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 10:02AM - in reply to Justin Time Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Justin Time wrote:

oldXChasbeen wrote:

I can't imagine any true lover of music not at least appreciating her. You don't have to like her style of music or her songs, which are mostly about lost love and heartache. But how can you not respect her talent? Her voice is soulful, powerful and rich. Maybe once some of you have lived a little more and lost something important to you - be it love, a loved one or just a dream to do something in your life - you can appreciate the depth of emotion behind her music.

As for her being fat, I've read that she has always struggled with her weight. I prefer thin, fit chicks, but if you don't think this woman is beautiful, you are gay.

http://pursuitist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Adele-to-sing-at-the-Grammys.jpg

That is a woman who spent a great deal of time and money on her hair and makeup, not to mention a professional photographer.

Well, it sure worked to make her look absolutely beautiful
a woooo
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 10:21AM - in reply to XXX_NYC Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Myles Kennedy.....much better singer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR4_chcwvoM

I can think of quite a few people that are better singers than Adele performing today...............

I don't mind Adele, but don't think she is the Goddess that the world makes her out to be.....She doesn't really perform, she just kind of stands there and sing...She has a great voice, yes, but goodness her just standing there bores the hell out of me.
asdfah
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 10:26AM - in reply to a woooo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

a woooo wrote:

I can think of quite a few people that are better singers than Adele performing today...............

I don't mind Adele, but don't think she is the Goddess that the world makes her out to be.....She doesn't really perform, she just kind of stands there and sing...She has a great voice, yes, but goodness her just standing there bores the hell out of me.

You prefer Nicki Minaj or some garbage like that? I'd much rather a singer than a "performer".
see the sun
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 11:28AM - in reply to asdfah Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
This thread is insane. I can't believe the standards some people like to think they hold themselves to wrt music and beautiful women.

Why is Adele's music popular? A couple of things:

1) Her label has marketed her well. She gets crazy amounts of air time.

2) Music is a form of art. The importance of art is the way it makes you feel. To evoke emotion. That feeling or emotion might be different for every person, but there is no denying that Adele's music has clearly resonated with a lot of people.

Of course, the feeling or emotion that most highly-marketed, top-40 music evokes is "LET'S F***ING PARTY!" Which is just fine. That's a totally valid feeling, and often a lot of fun. After a while, it's just not very powerful or interesting, though.

It seems that the predominant emotion that Adele's music evokes is slightly more subtle--not much, she's appealing to the basic human experiences of love, rejection, etc.--but far more powerful.

And sure, she could lose a few pounds, but she definitely isn't ugly for chrissake.
Flagpole
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 12:06PM - in reply to a woooo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
The way she just stands there and sings puts a spotlight on her greatness. She's not putting dancing or facial expressions or anything else into it except awesome vocals.

And, no, you do not know quite a few people who are better singers. You may like their style better or how they move on stage (which is apparently a thing for you), but no one you could mention today is anywhere near as talented vocally as Adele. In the last 30 years only Whitney Houston could compare.

I lied earlier about not buying an Adele CD...I just did, but it was for my wife and not for me.

a woooo wrote:

a woooo
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 12:08PM - in reply to asdfah Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think you are confusing performing....with being so God awful to bring attention to yourself.

I'm talking musically talented people who can sing and put on a good show for people. I wasn't putting Adele down, just saying what she does bores me.....Didn't really think someone would take my statement and turn it into I want to see Nicki Minaj "perform"
oldXChasbeen
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 1:24PM - in reply to Justin Time Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Justin Time wrote:

That is a woman who spent a great deal of time and money on her hair and makeup, not to mention a professional photographer.

A hair and makeup artist and even a good photographer do not give you eyes, lips and facial features like this. And her hair is just plain gorgeous to me.

http://www.dynastybasketball.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Adele-DynastyBasketball.net-6.jpg

We all have our own tastes, and if you don't think she's a pretty woman and a talented singer, that's your right. I'll concede that the pics of her being overweight are unappealing, to say the least, but when she is thinner, wow...
music noobs
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 1:55PM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There is a definite difference between a powerful voice and a straining voice, and unfortunatley neither (most) listeners nor Adele know the difference. If Adele sang with proper technique she wouldn't have needed her throat surgery. You can really hear the strain on her song "Someone Like You."
trollism
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 2:08PM - in reply to music noobs Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

music noobs wrote:

There is a definite difference between a powerful voice and a straining voice, and unfortunatley neither (most) listeners nor Adele know the difference. If Adele sang with proper technique she wouldn't have needed her throat surgery. You can really hear the strain on her song "Someone Like You."

Is that how you get polyps in your throat?
gggr
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 2:27PM - in reply to asdfah Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

asdfah wrote:

I love that she has this booming, elegant voice, and then when she opens her mouth to talk, so has this uneducated British accent.

It's true. She's British white-trash. I love it.
trollism
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 3:00PM - in reply to gggr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

gggr wrote:

She's not that bad at all. She's pretty 'normal' I would say. Just because she doesn't speak like Keira Knightly or Emma Watson (the sort of British girl that Americans are most exposed to) doesn't really make her 'white trash'. She's just got a broad London accent.
My 2p
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 3:04PM - in reply to gggr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Meh. She has an okay voice and her music isn't very original. She is very beefy for someone so young.
Frank Long
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 3:41PM - in reply to My 2p Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
She reminds me of Mama Cass Elliot from the 1960s. I think Adele is very talented and hope she avoids the downfall of other stars who skyrocketed to the top.
XXX_NYC
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 3:57PM - in reply to gggr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

gggr wrote:

asdfah wrote:

I love that she has this booming, elegant voice, and then when she opens her mouth to talk, so has this uneducated British accent.

The same (well not the british part of it) could be said of Whitney. Her talking voice was that of a loud, abrasive, ghetto crackhead; but her singing voice (during her 85-92 peak) was probably the best of our generation.
dueling at a dual meet?
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 4:00PM - in reply to Frank Long Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Frank Long wrote:

She reminds me of Mama Cass Elliot from the 1960s.

you have a poor memory.
now if you had said melonie safka---
she was so good mott the hoople covered her
Dober Pincherman
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 4:08PM - in reply to Frank Long Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I also thought of Cass Elliot performing in her tent dresses. Adele is much prettier though.
gggr
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 4:15PM - in reply to trollism Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

trollism wrote:

gggr wrote:

She's not that bad at all. She's pretty 'normal' I would say. Just because she doesn't speak like Keira Knightly or Emma Watson (the sort of British girl that Americans are most exposed to) doesn't really make her 'white trash'. She's just got a broad London accent.

You really "fink" so? Even when she was "fankin'" all her fans, and she "had a snot"? When I was in the UK, I didn't hear anyone that spoke as poorly as she does. She sounds like Eliza at the beginning of My Fair Lady.
trollism
RE: what do you think about Adele? 2/16/2012 4:22PM - in reply to gggr Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

gggr wrote:

You really "fink" so? Even when she was "fankin'" all her fans, and she "had a snot"? When I was in the UK, I didn't hear anyone that spoke as poorly as she does. She sounds like Eliza at the beginning of My Fair Lady.

You didn't hear many people speak then. Were you over here for a 4 hour stopover or something?
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |