Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 |
the cancer guy
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/18/2012 9:32AM - in reply to Flo'da boy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Flo'da boy wrote:

Awesome cancer guy! Don't bump your mileage up too quick ;)

How are the ankles?

They pretty much stay in pain. I have to take meds to walk. I think it's one of the meds they have me on which is intended to block androgren uptake. Just guessing and can't get a straight answer from any of the drs.

Today - 1
redux
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/18/2012 11:24AM - in reply to the cancer guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Glad you're still kicking around.

In related sad news, my dad's in a hospice treatment facility because his lymphoma is advancing and his pain is getting worse. The doctors gave him 1-3 months. He's happy despite the pain and his left arm and leg being paralyzed from a tumor pressing on his spine. Last night he had seizures which is a new development.

I know exactly how you and your family are feeling right now. So sorry for that, but constantly amazed by your resilience and staying engaged and hopeful.
the cancer guy
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/18/2012 11:59AM - in reply to redux Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
redux, I am sorry to hear about your dad. My parents have been spending as much time as they can with me and my family. Although they throw out numbers (1-3 months) it's really impossible to say. I just hope you can spend as much time as possible with him now. One thing we have been doing is using my dad's iPad to record long conversations. We will talk about family history. Recall old stories. Ask him questions about his youth. Things you always wondered about. Learn as much as you can about him. It's amazing how little we know about our parents. As we have talked through some stuff my parents have looked at me kind of as a new person, someone they are just getting know, instead of the son they have always known. Maybe you can do the same with your dad. Pretend like you never met him before and see how well you can get to know him in the time you have. Sorry if it is too painful to think about all this. These are just some things I have found to be really helpful in the process of dealing with the idea of sharing who I am with my family, and, mainly, my kids, if I don't happen to be around in the long run. Writing, which is what I started with, proved to be too slow and tedious. Video just captures so much more. The tone of voice. The little glances and looks you can't put into words, but, will always remember that make your dad unique to you. I will be lifting you and your family up in prayer that you would find peace and mercy in this horrible process. Again, I am sorry you CAN relate to where I am. Truly I am. I pray you can make the most of these precious moments.
The cancer guy
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/21/2012 2:35PM - in reply to the cancer guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
2 with some really sore ankles and a lot of weight gain/water retention. Weight is way way too high. Gained 15 pounds in the past week.
common
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/21/2012 2:48PM - in reply to The cancer guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Maybe you should change your name to 'the camel guy'. =) Sorry things are harder and not easier. Are you on prednisone or something similar? Anyway, great job getting the miles in through all the adversity. I'm getting out the door shortly to pound out a few, and I'll be sending positive thoughts to you and yours while I'm out there. Cheers, CG.
O rly
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/21/2012 3:54PM - in reply to The cancer guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You are inspiring. Saw this thread but never opened it. Just looked today and read it all.
the cancer guy
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/21/2012 3:58PM - in reply to common Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Camel guy. Funny. I am getting some lasix to deal with it. Hopefully it'll get my weight under control a little.
Weight room guru
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/21/2012 6:04PM - in reply to the cancer guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Keep kicking ass, CG.
lucKY2b
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/21/2012 9:51PM - in reply to the cancer guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Great advice to redux and to us all. I lost my dad to pancreatic cancer over a decade ago; we were very much taken by surprise. To make matters worse he and mom were out of the country when it all went down. Never got to see my dad again. So much I wish I'd been able to talk with him about. Glad you have your family with you.

Props to getting out and keeping moving! Hope that you get this water retention issue under control soon.
Taper2
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/21/2012 10:18PM - in reply to lucKY2b Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Keep in mind those Vomero's only have about 400 miles in them. Thanks for sharing your story.
Flo'da boy
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/27/2012 1:24AM - in reply to the cancer guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bump!

Hope things are going well! (As well as they can I mean)
redux
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/27/2012 10:11AM - in reply to Flo'da boy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I went home a couple weeks ago to see my dad. My brother was down too. Today I'm going back with my ex. They got along well and she wants to see him. Last year I helped her through her grandfather and uncle passing away.

The hospice got his pain under control and he's moved to a nursing home for the rest of his time. I'm planning on going back every other weekend as long as I can.

So happy we at least see it all coming and can focus our time and energy so there's no regrets or missed words. A coworke'rs mom died on a plane after returning from a trip to china and she's still upset about not being able to say goodbye.
lucKY2b
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 10/31/2012 3:01PM - in reply to Flo'da boy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Flo'da boy wrote:Hope things are going well! (As well as they can I mean)
+100
the cancer guy
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 11/3/2012 4:46PM - in reply to lucKY2b Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Since getting back into running shape is no longer an option I am going to refocus my energies onto a different physical goal: becoming able to do 1,000 pushups. It's a totally unrealistic goal...I know. That's kind of the point. It came to mind last weekend. My parents threw a living funeral for me. My high school coach showed up and gave me a copy of our high school team's summer training packet. I still hold the record for highest three summer mileage totals. I did two summers over 1,000 miles. I know that pushups is one of those things that, once you get to a certain point, adding large numbers is effortless. Right now, I can do maybe 5. In the past, I have been able to work up to over 100, but, never tried to max out the number. So, I figure, hey, why not. It's a good excuse to work on upper body strength. I've always shied away from upper body work because I'm a big guy naturally and always fought to keep weight off. Now, I have no excuse, so, I figure, heck, I'll use this as justification for the extra weight I would never have as a runner. I have no idea how long it'll take me to build up to 1,000, but, I'm going to try and find out. Hopefully, I can shed some weight along the way. I am just shy of 200 pounds right now and the steroids are killing me. If I can get down to 165-175 I'd be fine. As I make progress I'll put comments and record what I do to try and make 1,000.
Flo'da boy
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 11/3/2012 5:40PM - in reply to the cancer guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Sounds like and awesome plan! Can't waitbtobhear how this goes! You have any sort of training plan in mind?
Old Man Runner
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 11/3/2012 6:22PM - in reply to Flo'da boy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Any runner bitching about not being able to run the NYCM on Sunday should have to read this entire thread. Maybe that will make them realize their are more important things than their stupid footrace.

CG, I can't wait to follow your progress on this new journey! Keep running, or trying to, in addition!
redux
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 11/3/2012 7:10PM - in reply to Old Man Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
CG always funny and inspiring. I promise ill call to talk tomorrow.
kpack
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 11/3/2012 7:27PM - in reply to the cancer guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I think that your idea to pick up swimming and biking is a good one. Much less impact on the ankle. (I've never been able to pick up either one, btw.)

Best of luck. You deserve it.
lucKY2b
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 11/3/2012 7:35PM - in reply to the cancer guy Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Cool HS stats. Neat that your coach keeps records of such.
Great idea on the push-ups. Go for it!
Anger phase
RE: Here's to breaking 20 for 5k ( la EddyLee) 11/3/2012 7:50PM - in reply to Old Man Runner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Old Man Runner wrote:

Any runner bitching about not being able to run the NYCM on Sunday should have to read this entire thread. Maybe that will make them realize their are more important things than their stupid footrace.

CG, I can't wait to follow your progress on this new journey! Keep running, or trying to, in addition!

That's why I came here! I'm not mad about the cancellation, but I'm mad at the world for being such a f'd up place that politics and money seem to overshadow everything important - even life and death. Fight the good fight CG!
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 |