bguyj20012
How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/19/2012 7:55PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I ask this question because I was reading a news story from Canada, happened a few years ago, in which one woman fatally strangled another woman with her legs, whom she believed to be a snitch.

How easily can a person strangle another person with their legs, and what is the best countermove if you are caught in that situation? I guess judo practitioners are familiar with getting out of it, but what about average people?

Here is the story I was referencing:
http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=ccc6bfb1-96a8-4a73-aa26-947e51cd430f&p=1

she also munched on french fries while finishing the grisly job:
http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2009/10/02/11246591-sun.html
asdfsd
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/19/2012 8:18PM - in reply to bguyj20012 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Bite, hard.
bguyj20012
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/19/2012 8:22PM - in reply to asdfsd Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
thats only an option if your head is maneuverable. Assuming you are being choked by thigh muscles, its likely there is little chance of you directing your mouth to bite someone since the quads will flareto keep your head locked.
Just sayin dude
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/19/2012 8:24PM - in reply to bguyj20012 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
the best way to get out of that move is to not get in it. but if somehow you end up in it, create a gap or spacing with your arm or a shoe or something so that you can breathe
SMJO
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/19/2012 8:28PM - in reply to bguyj20012 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A lot of MMA holds could likely be broken by moves that are illegal.
Not in real life though. If somebody was choking you with their legs in a scissor hold it is a simple matter to jab a thumb into an eye socket or stand up and pile drive the person on the base of their neck.
bguyj20012
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/19/2012 8:32PM - in reply to SMJO Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
oh thats a good idea.
i dont know the details of this case, but from what i read in the articles, the woman was able to pray and beg for her life while it was happening.
the article aslo said she held her down, so im guessing she was laying on her back and the other woman on hers and the used leverage to keep her down, or she was pinning her from the front and then closing her legs around her neck after straddling her chest.
she'll be 48 when she's eligible for parole. laws in Canada must be soft if someone who tortures and kills someone in humiliating way can get off without a death penalty.
altoroad
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/19/2012 10:57PM - in reply to bguyj20012 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

bguyj20012 wrote:

I ask this question because I was reading a news story from Canada, happened a few years ago, in which one woman fatally strangled another woman with her legs, whom she believed to be a snitch.

How easily can a person strangle another person with their legs, and what is the best countermove if you are caught in that situation? I guess judo practitioners are familiar with getting out of it, but what about average people?

It's quite easy to choke someone out with your legs using a triangle choke. But it's a technique that one has to learn. The news article said, though, that the attacker wrapped her legs around the other woman's body. There is also such a technique in judo, called dojime, which is illegal in competition.

Off the mat, probably the best countermove to a triangle choke attempt, once caught, is to try to create a little space to delay the choke, and pick the attacker up and slam his head and neck into the ground, while watching out for a switch to an armlock.
KPack
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/19/2012 11:09PM - in reply to bguyj20012 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
(shaking head) GD Canadians, it just never stops with them. Just a lawless warzone up there.
lipsink
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/19/2012 11:29PM - in reply to KPack Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
As the guy above said, you have to get an arm in there to create space. Otherwise, you have to rollin direction to take pressure off the vital pressure, and attempt to counter via your own leg, as in kicking to head or attempted choke, or arms/fists to vitals.
bguyj20012
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/20/2012 12:26AM - in reply to lipsink Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
another article mentioned tightening her legs around her neck, so it was a neck choke. that article wasnt as detailed but did describe the type.

in any case, after killin her, she jumped up and down on her chest to make sure all the air was out, while eating french fries.

the killer had a very rough life. at age 2 months, she was abandoned by her mother in a hotel room.
she is described as coming from a reserve, which in canada means an indian reservation.
Schism
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/20/2012 1:08AM - in reply to bguyj20012 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

bguyj20012 wrote:

the killer had a very rough life. at age 2 months, she was abandoned by her mother in a hotel room.
she is described as coming from a reserve, which in canada means an indian reservation.

I hope adding this sentence doesn't mean that you are giving this cold-blooded killer a pass. That it's OK to murder someone if you've had a rough life?
Running Psychiatrist
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/20/2012 2:37AM - in reply to bguyj20012 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You have displayed a consistent fetish on Letsrun for strong females who overpower their males with their strength and legs. That's a little strange but not as uncommon as you thhink -- a harmless erotic preference. It probably means you were dominated by your mother and crave strong maternal energy. Perhaps you will find yourself a better match on a bodybuilders or MMA forum.
bguyj20012
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/20/2012 6:33AM - in reply to Running Psychiatrist Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
i think there's some truth to what you are saying.
i personally wasn't physically dominated, but I do remember on 2 occasions when I was 5 or younger watching my mom beat up and jump on my 13 yr old brother at the time after he tried to fight back from being disciplined.

it wasn't sexual, but because of where the fight was goingshe ended up pushing him onto his bed to keep hitting him. my dad(which was his stepdad at the time)never disciplined me or my brother physically. my mom carried out discipline. they divorced when I was 6 and my mom got custody, and so the only discipline i can remember was maternaly handed out.

never by a man in the household, despite a few live-in boyfriends of my mom, and a step dad when i was in high school.
Running Psychiatrist
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 1/21/2012 1:08AM - in reply to bguyj20012 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Well...good luck with that!

bguyj20012 wrote:

i think there's some truth to what you are saying.
i personally wasn't physically dominated, but I do remember on 2 occasions when I was 5 or younger watching my mom beat up and jump on my 13 yr old brother at the time after he tried to fight back from being disciplined.

it wasn't sexual, but because of where the fight was goingshe ended up pushing him onto his bed to keep hitting him. my dad(which was his stepdad at the time)never disciplined me or my brother physically. my mom carried out discipline. they divorced when I was 6 and my mom got custody, and so the only discipline i can remember was maternaly handed out.

never by a man in the household, despite a few live-in boyfriends of my mom, and a step dad when i was in high school.
Rogerio Brito
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 9/1/2012 12:12PM - in reply to bguyj20012 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Here in Brazil I know some cases similar to what happened in Canada. A military policeman during police approach the suspects, had to apply a head scissors assailant's neck, killing the suspect by strangulation. Escaping to a key legs, triangle or head scissors really is almost impossible.
Streams everywhere
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 9/1/2012 7:16PM - in reply to bguyj20012 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Pull out your pocket knife and stab them.

A pocket knife is the best defensive weapon because of the combination of its effectiveness and legality. It's as deadly as firearms, yet legal to carry concealed anywhere, anytime.

Though if you carry one, you better first learn the subtle nuances of the law when it comes to self-defense and deadly force. Very few Americans know self-defense is an affirmative defense, meaning the burden of proof is on the defendant, and the criteria are pretty strict.

Alternatively, if you have no weapon and there's no heavy objects handy, you can stand up and pile-drive your attacker's head into the ground. If you can reach your attacker's face, stick your thumb in their eyes and they'll let go reflexively. If it's a dude, hit him in the nuts.

You can also use brute force to escape, it's not nearly as strong as a locked choke like a triangle.

Best of all, don't get into the choke in the first place. It takes a lot of maneuvering to apply one. Which usually requires you to willingly wrestle for quite some time first. Real life doesn't have ropes around it. Maneuver. Be faster than your opponent
Streams everywhere
RE: How to Defend Against Neck Scissor Choke 9/1/2012 7:29PM - in reply to Streams everywhere Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Pocket knife legal in my US state, that is. Can't speak for the laws in your area. I've heard Los Angeles tried to ban them.