Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
nag1234
Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/15/2012 8:17PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0116/1224310310398.html

IAN O'RIORDAN, Athletics Correspondent

IF YOU believe the hardest decision an athlete will make is to take drugs, you might have some belief in Martin Fagan. Right now he knows hes already lost that, probably all sympathy too, but he does want to offer some clarity on why hes tested positive for erythropoietin EPO one of the most conventional and readily detected methods of enhancing performance.

Editor's Note: This post has been edited. Please do not post full articles on the forums. There are 2 excellent Irish Times articles on this. The one above is the longer one. It focuses more on details. How Martin says he was lying to coach Keith Kelly and agent Ray Flynn how his workouts were going and then ordered EPO on the internet and injected himself at his friend's bathroom in Tucson. He appears to be claiming he was drug tested the very same day he ever first took EPO. The 2nd article in the Irish Times is a bit shorter but very good "Injecting myself, thinking this is how the junkie feels" and focuses more on Fagan's mental state and how Fagan claims depression and thoughts of suicide led him to EPO.

As for the 1st article it does not identify whose bathroom where he injected himself but Fagan had been training with Abdi Abdirahman in Tuscon. For Abdi's reaction to findint out Martin tested positive click here
KPack
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/15/2012 9:26PM - in reply to nag1234 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
(note that my first name is kerry): luck of the irish, I guess. sad story, but being a pro runner really is tough.
I read the whole thing
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/15/2012 9:32PM - in reply to nag1234 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
He didn't have to take epo, and then get caught to stop running.
Brrrrunning
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/15/2012 9:52PM - in reply to I read the whole thing Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

I read the whole thing wrote:

Rationally, obviously not. But Fagan wasn't rational. Obviously the pressure and mental hurdles that come with high level running made it so he couldn't just quit (in his mind).

Its like Alberto Salazar's quote when his career went south "I hated running. I hated it with a passion. I used to wish for a cataclysmic injury in which I would lose one of my legs...then I wouldn't have to torture myself anymore".

Not excusing Fagan, doping is wrong. But understand that things can be more complex than face value.
Forestville
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/15/2012 10:22PM - in reply to Brrrrunning Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Most drug cheats who admit it tend to say they only did it one time. I don't believe him for a second.
L. Cwajit
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/15/2012 10:22PM - in reply to nag1234 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just a very sad story....
Refreshing honesty
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/15/2012 10:30PM - in reply to Brrrrunning Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
While not on the same scale, this reminds me of friends who've said they wish they would be fired from a job they detested rather than quitting. Somehow it's easier to have it taken away from you rather than walking away...as if the hard decision is made for you...

Brrrrunning wrote:

I read the whole thing wrote:

Rationally, obviously not. But Fagan wasn't rational. Obviously the pressure and mental hurdles that come with high level running made it so he couldn't just quit (in his mind).

Its like Alberto Salazar's quote when his career went south "I hated running. I hated it with a passion. I used to wish for a cataclysmic injury in which I would lose one of my legs...then I wouldn't have to torture myself anymore".

Not excusing Fagan, doping is wrong. But understand that things can be more complex than face value.
thisisastoryallabouthowmylife1
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/15/2012 10:35PM - in reply to Forestville Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
with that missed drug test in 07', i dont believe the story saying he just took it once
KPack
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/15/2012 10:40PM - in reply to Brrrrunning Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
yeah, but al sal is insane, utterly obsessed and driven to do 110% of what he had to do to be the best. that type of compulsion will eventually destroy anyone; shocking that he is coaching so many top runners.

i can't think of too many runners who have that sort of drive.

i would think that fagan was told he had to tell a story like this one so that he wouldn't taint others. 90% of those caught have some sort of story.
Brrrrunning
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/15/2012 11:18PM - in reply to KPack Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
That could be true as well. Who knows really.
The Monk
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/15/2012 11:39PM - in reply to nag1234 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Very sad indeed. Strange to say this but seeing that he was injecting himself with what appears to be a cheaper poor grade EPO (If that's what he ordered) ; without medical assistance, God knows how he would have ended up. Even though the Irish AA caught up with him, they've probably saved him from killing himself.
Okille
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/16/2012 4:01AM - in reply to nag1234 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just finished reading the articles. Actually really believable. Antidepressants and sleeping pills make hard training and racing impossible. Even with the help of EPO. I hope he gets himself sorted out with professional help and is able to find work at home in Ireland. (no easy task!). Two years isn't a long time. The talent is there. One step at a time. I am happy that the thread could be called "Martin Fagan positive for EPO" and not "Martin Fagan found dead".
not likely
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/16/2012 5:08AM - in reply to Okille Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
A couple of things stand out from the article. Fagan claims he was on a watch list and that he had been told he needed to give them clearer information about his wearabouts.

Also claims that he only bought enough epo for 2 weeks of use yet he had 12 vials of the stuff. Even if they were 4000iu vials he had enough for 10 weeks at 1500iu 3 times per week which would be standard protocol for distance runners.

I don't think this is the first time he had used. But I do buy that he wanted to get caught. He had probably had enough of it all. I think David Millar found himself in a similar situation.
candidcandison
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/16/2012 6:28AM - in reply to not likely Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Does anyone know if @vinnymulvey is connected with Fagan in some way? I seen he had an argument with Bobby Curtis regarding the doping scandal, and looking into it further he seems to be the main defender of Fagans actions, just curious as I know he was a runner at Iona College at around the same time as Fagan.
H Gilmore
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/16/2012 6:31AM - in reply to not likely Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Assuming the "friend" in the article is Abdi (which it sounds like it is), already Fagan's story doesn't line up quite with Abdi's. The friend knew who was looking for Fagan and why Fagan left.
Kenneth Coleman
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/16/2012 6:56AM - in reply to candidcandison Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Just shows how much of an hypocrite Vinny Mulvey really is, he slashed Cathal Lombard the most he could, and now he crusades for Fagan.
Point could also extend to Ian O'Riordan.

Different people different circumstances of course, but Cathal Lombard was also an isolated, unstable individual.
otto
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/16/2012 6:57AM - in reply to not likely Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

not likely wrote: I think David Millar found himself in a similar situation.

Please leave the hypocrite Millar out of this. He should have married Virenque and move to Tijuana. LIAR.
Hudson River
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/16/2012 8:42AM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Wow, there does seem to be a lot of racism on this thread.

Normally drug cheats are considered as "lying sacks of s$&%" by most posters, but in this case he is the victim, he was depressed, he needed help.....

To those who have posted their sympathy on this thread, look in the mirror and ask yourself if you would feel the same way if it were Bernard Lagat, Abdi, Meb, etc.
NOT HEARING IT
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/16/2012 8:50AM - in reply to nag1234 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You know I can feel sorry for the guy because I've met him a few times and I understand the pressure to compete and do well. I would like to believe this well put together story given the irony of being tested on the very same day that he took EPO for the first time. I know pressure because I grew up in very tough times and met many more along my way, on and most certainly off the track. The important thing to remember is that our sport is what it is because of the purity and when you do anything to taint the purest form of competition outside of build upon your GOD GIVEN talents, you are nothing short of a CHEAT. This come to Jesus moment and sense of freedom he feels is a bunch of crap, any runner knows that the are freest when they are running. That he only used EPO once is a bunch of CRAP.
Tommy2Nuttz
RE: Fagan comes clean on his positive EPO test 1/16/2012 8:51AM - in reply to Hudson River Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have to agree.

The total focus on Fagans drug use was that he desperately needed help with his depression issues. And most who comment on it, while condemning the act, wish him well and hope for a come back.

Quite different when its, ahem, certain others involved in the very same act.

Lets see where the brojos take this...i noticed a tiny headline.
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |