kayrunner
Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/16/2011 8:50PM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have had pain in my thigh for over four months. I was initially diagnosed with a groin strain but I have had multiple MRIs and none have them have found swelling in that area. I have taken time off, done physical therapy, and tried to return to running several times but the pain returns each time. All of the doctors I have seen are confused about the cause of the pain and can't seem to find a reason for it. It is an aching pain and when I press on a certain spot along the inner upper thigh it hurts. When it is at its worst it aches even to walk. I have gotten a bone scan and MRI and they have shown nothing. Does anybody have any idea of what this could be?
Church and Dodge
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/16/2011 8:55PM - in reply to kayrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
try an MRI Arthrogram to check for a labral tear
aaaaaaaaaa
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/16/2011 8:56PM - in reply to Church and Dodge Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
ditto.
Neliah2507
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/16/2011 9:38PM - in reply to kayrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My first suspicion is a hip problem however is the groin pain the ONLY pain you are experiencing? Do you have any type of mild lower back or pain/stiffness anywhere else? Do you have any discomfort when sitting for long periods of time, squatting, or when trying to sleep?

My other guess is that you may have knocked your pelvis out of alignment on the side where you have groin pain. Because your pelvis is obviously 3D, this could happen in any of the 3 planes of motion. For example, one common rotational problem is an anterior rotation of the Ilium along with a nutation of the sacrum. This can cause a lot of chronic muscle tension (causing general ache/pain) usually around the groin. This is because since your pelvis is hiked up on one side the adductors remain tight and shortened which will start to cause general aching and even sharper pains if you were to palpate them under tension. The more activity you do that involves side-to-side movements, sitting, squatting, etc the more inflamed and tight the area will get. With rest it will die down and almost feel normal. But nothing has been done to correct the actual pelvic imbalance so once you go back to activity, BOOM it hurts again.

I would definitely keep a possible joint issue in mind (particularly hip impingement). But I would also visit someone who is knowledgeable with pelvic alignment, particularly at the SI joint (where your sacrum and ilium meet). They should check your spinous processes in the front and back to make sure you are properly aligned.
Thigh pain won't go away
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/16/2011 9:54PM - in reply to Neliah2507 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I have no other pain besides the thigh pain and my lower back feels fine. How is it possible to tell if you have a misaligned pelvis?
check for
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/16/2011 10:11PM - in reply to Thigh pain won't go away Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Trigger points referring pain or possible nerve problems
From200mTo8k
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/16/2011 10:36PM - in reply to kayrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm not a doctor. My honest and serious advice is do not stretch it for now if you have been stretching and see how it feels over time. Pay attention to what you do during the day to accidentally stretch it. I have found that stretching such an injury keeps it around longer for me.
lifter the mifter
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/16/2011 10:44PM - in reply to kayrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
could be a sports hernia
Wet & soggy
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/17/2011 6:17AM - in reply to lifter the mifter Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Or the Psoas muscle....look it up..it is a deep muscle that connects from the back to the hip. Pain feels like a groin pull but isn't a groin pull. Active release works great on it and doing stretches. Sitting for long hours shortens the muscle, so standing and stretching it is good throughout the day. Interesting muscle..very hard to diagnose.
Not buying it
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/17/2011 6:46AM - in reply to Neliah2507 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I'm currently having this exact same problem. Pain in my groin, NOT in my hip. I was diagnosed with a labral tear and a slight impingement, however I strongly feel this is not causing the pain I'm having and feel my issue is with a pelvic imbalance and/or lower back issues. Both of which I've dealt with in the past.

Just because Dr. Jerk Off wants to get me on his operating table, you can not convince me that I suffered a labral tear on an easy double session 11miler day while breaking in new sneakers. How do I not know I get the tears while my (normally) 105lb body was birthing one of my three 8lb+ babies.

Sorry for the graphic image, but from what I've read 90% of people will eventually have a tear and most will never even know it. Tears that do indeed cause pain are usually the result of traumatic injury. Not easy running, as was my case.

The surgery is still a fairly new procedure (10 years in the US) and there have been very few long term studies done on the subject as of yet. Also, the part about tears developing into arthrisis is still a theory. Someone posted an article on the boards yesterday that I found very interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/health/hip-impingement-grows-popular-but-remains-unproven.html?_r=1&hp

My animosity with Dr. JO comes from me wanting a 2nd opinion on surgery. When I went to pick up my reports they continuously said "Paitient (moi) has hip pain". Never once did I have this complaint and never once was my complaint addressed. When I asked for a cortisone injection I was told "it would be very irresponsible" of him, yet that would be one of the only affirmative ways of knowing where the pain is really coming from. I'm not buying it...
smarterthanthedoctor
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/17/2011 6:58AM - in reply to Not buying it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Don't be a drama queen. your impingement torn your labrum while running. The pain is in your groin. case done. get the scope and let him fix it or stop complaining. you are not a unique snowflake.
Neliah2507
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/17/2011 7:11AM - in reply to Not buying it Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Not buying it wrote:
I'm currently having this exact same problem. Pain in my groin, NOT in my hip. I was diagnosed with a labral tear and a slight impingement, however I strongly feel this is not causing the pain I'm having and feel my issue is with a pelvic imbalance and/or lower back issues. Both of which I've dealt with in the past....

I can understand your skepticism. To be honest, the safest thing for you to do is get a 2nd and maybe a 3rd opinion. If you have impingement that is showing up on imaging, I would believe the impingement to be a cause of your groin pain even above the labral tear itself.

Also, you may not have actually torn your labrums until your pregnancies when it placed your hips under and extreme amount of pressure (especially during birth). The only thing I don't agree with is trying to pinpoint when you tore your labrum -- that type of diagnosis is almost ALWAYS impossible unless you can literally remember a specific twisting/turning/kicking movement that left you with acute pain or a day where you went from 100% fine to a large amount of pain. Usually that's not the case and the patient has some type of gradual onset that they cannot pinpoint to a specific day or moment.

The arthroscopic surgery is fairly new. There is not a lot of research about it but there are a fair amount of athletes and individuals so far who have had great experiences. I agree with you that surgery is serious. The other important thing is you really want to be able to trust your surgeon and feel confident you have an accurate diagnosis.

I can personally say that I've had both of my hips done and they feel a million times better than they did before the surgeries. I actually cannot believe I was walking around on a daily basis thinking the discomfort I had was normal. It was pretty gradual for me and I didn't do anything about it until the pain was so bad I was forced to stop most activity.

If you think it might be only pelvic alignment, again I would find someone to check your pelvis and spine. However, in your case someone has found impingement. Do you know what kind it is? A good idea would be to gather all of your imaging and get one or two more opinions while you are in the process of getting your pelvis checked out. It can't hurt and you'll feel better about what decision you make. I don't think your doctor is just trying to operate on you, but there are a few poor explanations (i.e. the "new shoe" one).
Not buying it
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/17/2011 7:13AM - in reply to smarterthanthedoctor Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
According to my radiology reports my impingement is still in question.

I feel this is a trendy diagnosis and surgery shouldn't always be the answer. I'd feel differently if I had actual pain in my hip and it wasn't made up on my reports.

All snowflakes are unique, by the way.
Not buying it
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/17/2011 7:20AM - in reply to Neliah2507 Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Thanks for the insight and advice. Honestly, I feel zero pain on a daily basis. It's only when I run and even then it goes away within a few miles. This is more typical of a back injury.
sometimes ignorant
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/17/2011 7:40AM - in reply to kayrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
sports hernia. Do you feel a slight pull in your lower abdomen if you cough? Sports hernia meaning you have tendinitis in the long tendon stretching from your inner hip to your femur.
Curious Edgar
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/17/2011 11:03AM - in reply to kayrunner Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I can only say that developed a left groin injury this summer, and my excellent physical therapist correctly diagnosed that my groin was just getting overworked because my hips had gotten badly out of alignment. My right SC joint was locked very tight, and my left hip flexors were compensating until they couldn't handle it any more and the groin started getting worked. Strengthening and stretching at PT really helped a lot. Stretching and moving more during the day to counteract the effects of my desk job were also critical. Since PT ended, I do most of the exercises on my own and try to be more diligent about stretching than I was during the build up to the injury.

This may just be a single data point, but could be a helpful possibility for you to investigate with a good physical therapist who understands running and runners.
Amateur Athletes
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/17/2011 11:25AM - in reply to Curious Edgar Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
osteitis pubis

That will be $15,500 please.
Thigh pain won't go away
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/17/2011 11:31AM - in reply to Amateur Athletes Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If it was osteitis pubis wouldn't it show up on the MRI?
Ratched
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/17/2011 11:51AM - in reply to Thigh pain won't go away Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Thigh pain won't go away wrote:

If it was osteitis pubis wouldn't it show up on the MRI?

Mine did not. not at all.
Thigh pain won't go away
RE: Pain in inner thigh won't go away 11/17/2011 12:13PM - in reply to Ratched Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Is there another kind of imaging test that I could get to see if I have osteitis pubis?