Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
employee
Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 7:47AM Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
My boss is making me work until like 9:00 some nights (i get off at 5:00).

I don't get overtime or anything, so im not even getting paid. How do i tell her i have a family and don't have time for this s**t? She's single and has no family so i dont think she understands.

If i keep saying yes im going to come off as spineless, so i think it will happen more and more.

help!
thewoz
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 7:52AM - in reply to employee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Demand a raise or quit.
Rip Torn
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 7:55AM - in reply to employee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Not sure what kind of work you do, but just be frank with her. Tell her you're going to need some overtime pay or some comp time or you won't be able to work these long shifts anymore. Don't be hostile about it and she may very well cave. If she still insists on you working for free, go to her superior (or the H.R. Dept.) and tell them about the situation. If that doesn't do anything, threaten legal action. I guarantee they'll change their tune real quick.
Push Alt F4
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 7:56AM - in reply to employee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

You only live once.
stuck with match.com
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 7:56AM - in reply to employee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I take it you are salary, if thats the case then I'm sorry but you maybe out of luck. To my understanding bosses can have employees work extra without pay within a reasonable amount.
employee
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 8:04AM - in reply to Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Yes, I am salary.

I want to tell her to F off but the economy is pretty tough right now. I guess I'll have to take it like a b***c, as usual.
middlemanagement
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 8:12AM - in reply to employee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
If she is single, maybe she's looking for a fling?
stuck with match.com
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 8:21AM - in reply to employee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

employee wrote:

Yes, I am salary.

I want to tell her to F off but the economy is pretty tough right now. I guess I'll have to take it like a b***c, as usual.

Did some research and legally there is no maximum for the amount of hours you have to work. The practical maximum is 168 hours, which is the total hours in a week. Because you are salary you are non exempt, which means you don't get any compensation or overtime. I know it sucks and its a drag but consider the alternatives which is unemployment. Right now there are about 200 people in your area who would love to have your job. Honestly your best bet is to talk with her, in a professional manner and tell her whats going on. If she says yes, great if she says no then you have your options which are to accept it or quit.

Good Luck.
Stand up for yourself
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 8:40AM - in reply to employee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
You can get another job. Don't let people walk over you. Report her to the Better business bureau. If she fires you then you will collect unemployment. Does your wife work and does her salary keep your family afloat for a while? Good luck.
the cancer guy
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 8:51AM - in reply to employee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

employee wrote:

I don't get overtime or anything, so im not even getting paid. How do i tell her i have a family and don't have time for this s**t? She's single and has no family so i dont think she understands.

If i keep saying yes im going to come off as spineless, so i think it will happen more and more.

help!

Tough spot dude. See if you can do work at home (via remote connection...assuming such is possible in your line of work). I work late (middle of the night at times) and get the same 50-60 hours a week done that way without losing family time. If not, you need to at least communicate to her, first verbally, then, later, in email, so you have a record if you need to build a historical case, of the difficulties this poses. While being on salary sucks at times and you agreed to the terms, comp days are one way to receive compensation, when things are slow. If she is just getting whatever she can from you without any concern for your well being or personal needs, start looking for a new job now unless this is an exceptional circumstance. I was young in my last job and let a woman get me to the point of working 30 hour days before I ended up quitting. Although we will probably never know what specifically caused my cancer, workloads like that certainly contributed to a compromised immune system. But, I knew from day two the woman I worked for was nuts. It just took me two years to find another job. Sometimes a good job requires a little personal sacrifice, but, if it's not just an occasional thing, start trying to make better plans and a graceful exit as soon as you can. Not sure if you can size up whether this is a one (or two) time thing, but, I tended to be one who gave my boss the benefit of the doubt until she proved utterly insane. (She asked me to come to work the day my wife was having a DNC knowing full well why I was not there.) I don't have hate for many people, but, at times, she is one of them. I feel bad, because I think she's mentally ill, for her most of the time, but, there are moments of outright hatred. If it's not this bad, just roll with the punches.
malmo
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 9:00AM - in reply to Stand up for yourself Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Stand up for yourself wrote:
Report her to the Better business bureau.

What exactly will that do (besides nothing)?
asking
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 9:04AM - in reply to malmo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

malmo wrote:

Stand up for yourself wrote:
Report her to the Better business bureau.

What exactly will that do (besides nothing)?

Further, how are they doing bad business? Business is between a company and its customers. You are an employee of the business. BBB more than likely couldn't care less about what companies do to their employees unless it were illegal or highly unethical, neither of which are true in this case.
joho
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 9:05AM - in reply to malmo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Come to work very late. Do your running in the morning and show up at the office around 10 or 11.
sentence structure
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 9:05AM - in reply to Rip Torn Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

Rip Torn wrote:

Not sure what kind of work you do, but just be frank with her. Tell her you're going to need some overtime pay or some comp time or you won't be able to work these long shifts anymore. Don't be hostile about it and she may very well cave. If she still insists on you working for free, go to her superior (or the H.R. Dept.) and tell them about the situation. If that doesn't do anything, threaten legal action. I guarantee they'll change their tune real quick.

LOL. Threatening your employer with legal action will do your career a WHOLE lot of good!
Phone Went West
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 9:09AM - in reply to employee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

employee wrote:

help!

I am the first one to advise you to live your life the way you want to live it. Life is too short to be stressed out all of the time. I made changes in my life when I found out that I was too stressed. You can too.

That being said, you do not get off at 5:00 if you are salaried. There are pros and cons to being a salaried employee. While most are pros, one of the cons is that you do not have set times when you can leave. Sometimes the job requires you to work long hours and accomplish a goal.

Do you hate your work? Can you try to change your mindset and look at this time as a challenge? If not, go find another job. You will only be more and more miserable.
redux
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 9:14AM - in reply to employee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I used to work for a company that had a mandatory 50+ hour week for 4 months (that eventually moved up to 8 months) a year when he had a large number of hard due dates for product delivery. It sucked, but we had a clear end date for the OT. Their value is in the toilet (bankruptcy).

Perhaps you should ask her if there is a foreseeable end date. If not, have an honest conversation about work:life balance and your role as a father and husband.

Good luck.
malmo
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 9:16AM - in reply to asking Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

asking wrote:

Further, how are they doing bad business? Business is between a company and its customers. You are an employee of the business. BBB more than likely couldn't care less about what companies do to their employees unless it were illegal or highly unethical, neither of which are true in this case.

My point is even more direct than that -- BBB is a completely toothless private corporation that exists by shaking down small businesses for "dues".
Phone Went West
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 9:25AM - in reply to malmo Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
Malmo is correct. They call us all the time. I tell them I have no need for them. They try to bribe me with yellowpages ads, etc. I don't even deal with "customers." They BBB people are complete morons.
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 10:18AM - in reply to Phone Went West Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
There are times when even a salaried employee can sue for extra time worked. For example, the salaried employee adds up all of the hours spent working and it comes out to be below minimum wage then the employer must make up the difference.
specifics
RE: Boss making me work extra hours for no pay 10/18/2011 10:18AM - in reply to employee Reply | Return to Index | Report Post

employee wrote:

help!

What's "LIKE 9.00 some nights"?
7.30?
Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |